The Sarati: Phonetic Form on Amanye Tenceli

  • Måns Björkman
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 25, 2006
      Mellyn!

      Today I have added a description of the Phonetic Form of the Sarati to
      Amanye Tenceli. Comments and suggestions are of course more than welcome.

      Direct link: http://at.mansbjorkman.net/sarati_phonetic.htm

      Yours,
      Måns
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 26, 2006
        --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, Måns Björkman <mansb@...> wrote:

        > Mellyn!
        >
        > Today I have added a description of the Phonetic Form of the Sarati to
        > Amanye Tenceli. Comments and suggestions are of course more than
        welcome.

        > Direct link: http://at.mansbjorkman.net/sarati_phonetic.htm
        >
        > Yours,
        > Måns

        What a beautiful site! Thank you, Måns!

        Lucy
      • Melroch 'Aestan
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 26, 2006
          Måns Björkman skrev:
          > Mellyn!
          >
          > Today I have added a description of the Phonetic Form of the Sarati to
          > Amanye Tenceli. Comments and suggestions are of course more than welcome.
          >
          > Direct link: http://at.mansbjorkman.net/sarati_phonetic.htm
          >
          > Yours,
          > Måns

          Very nicely done, but it is hard to know what is meant
          with "above" and "below" a sarat, as it may in practice
          mean "to the left or right", depending on the writing
          direction. A note about that may be helpful.
          Similarly examples of the vowel symbolizations as
          applied on both 'barred' and 'unbarred' sarati would
          be clarifying.

          Also the table of consonant sarati is became a bit
          hard to read, both when printed out, since ut gets
          scaled down, and on-screen, since it spills out
          over the right edge of the screen, and at least
          two of my browsers activated the horizontal
          scrollbar. I had to open the picture in a separate
          window. Perhaps it is possible to split it up into
          several smaller tables based on manners of articulation?

          (This said I expect my planned pages on the Cirth will
          be full of quirks and blunders which you all can
          nitpick about...)

          --

          /BP 8^)>
          A h-ammen ledin i phith! \ \
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 26, 2006
            --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, Melroch 'Aestan <melroch@...> wrote:

            > Måns Björkman skrev:
            > > Mellyn!
            > >
            > > Today I have added a description of the Phonetic Form of the Sarati to
            > > Amanye Tenceli. Comments and suggestions are of course more than
            welcome.

            > > Direct link: http://at.mansbjorkman.net/sarati_phonetic.htm
            > >
            > > Yours,
            > > Måns
            > >

            > Very nicely done, but it is hard to know what is meant
            > with "above" and "below" a sarat, as it may in practice
            > mean "to the left or right", depending on the writing
            > direction. A note about that may be helpful.

            I have intentionally avoided the terms "above" and "below", for
            exactly the reasons you give, and instead adopted a terminology as
            described on the Overview page: "On this site I instead refer to the
            _front_, _back_, _top_ and _bottom_ of sarati, the front being the
            side facing the following sarat in the reading direction, and the top
            being the end always attached to the bar." Perhaps this should be
            pointed out in each valuation description as well.

            > Similarly examples of the vowel symbolizations as
            > applied on both 'barred' and 'unbarred' sarati would
            > be clarifying.

            I see what you mean. I will consider it.

            > Also the table of consonant sarati is became a bit
            > hard to read, both when printed out, since ut gets
            > scaled down, and on-screen, since it spills out
            > over the right edge of the screen, and at least
            > two of my browsers activated the horizontal
            > scrollbar. I had to open the picture in a separate
            > window. Perhaps it is possible to split it up into
            > several smaller tables based on manners of articulation?

            I'm aware that the size of the table is an issue. Dividing it into
            several smaller tables is certainly an idea. I think I'll do that.

            > (This said I expect my planned pages on the Cirth will
            > be full of quirks and blunders which you all can
            > nitpick about...)

            Looking forward to it! ;-)

            Yours,
            Måns