Re: How accurate is this?

    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 19, 2006
      bty51658752 wrote:
      >> Hello people. I'm new if you haven't guessed and have just started
      >> studying Tolkien's scripts and languages. I haven't really got the
      >> hand of Tengwar yet but was wondering how accurate the following
      >> translator was. Many thanks.
      >>
      >> http://derhobbit-film.de/rune_generator.shtml

      Hello,
      if you have started your studying Tolkien's scripts and languages
      with a translator and transcriber - I guess you have started all
      wrong - and here no offence meant since I think it is a _wrong_
      beginning. If you want to study Professor's work, start with the
      books! They contain everything you need, the stuff on the internet
      only 'parrots' what was already said there or (more or less
      fortunately) summarizes what was writen by Professor. And it holds
      mainly for the scripts so the step number one is the Appendix E in
      the Return of the King, there is the genuine material you should
      study. And of course, if you'd have any questions, we are ready to
      answer them! :-)

      j. mach wust wrote:
      > That's not accurate at all! Orthographies diverge a lot from
      > language to language, in tengwar just as in the Latin alphabet, so
      > it makes no sense to offer a transcriber that totally disregards
      > the language you feed it (unless it were a transcriber clever
      > enough to guess the language, but this one very obviously is not).

      Well, I dare say the _Elfscripters_ are the best "on-line
      transcribers" ever, and even better, they're "live on-line
      transcribers"! ;-)