Help with translation

  • Palatinus
    Message 1 of 13 , Jul 19 12:58 AM
      > Thanks. How did you come up with the keys for the
      > tengwar font?
      > There are a couple of other names I would like to
      > do, and now that
      > I've seen that it works in wordpad, I need help
      > finding out how to
      > convert the name.

      We read the help file and documentation coming with
      the fonts :)

      Especially this one
      http://www.acondia.com/font_tengwar/tengh19j.zip

      And this one is also a good source http://www.sci.fi/~alboin/tengwartutorial.htm

      Χρησιμοποιείτε Yahoo!;
      Message 2 of 13 , Jul 19 1:48 AM
        > > it should look like this
        > >
        > > http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a58/ash_nazg4321/lucia.jpg
        > >
        > > the keys for a tengwar font are " jUiT`C "

        I am not quite sure if this is the write transcription according
        to "Quenya rules" ... I'd transcript: jUiGhÍC (lambe+U-tehta / silme
        nuquerna+I tehta / yanta+A-tehta+under double dot)

        > Thanks. How did you come up with the keys for the tengwar font?
        > There are a couple of other names I would like to do, and now that
        > I've seen that it works in wordpad, I need help finding out how to
        > convert the name.

        Just upload the font here:
        http://home.student.uu.se/jowi4905/fonts/annatar.html

        install it and then you can write your own stuff. But beware: what
        you need to write it correctly is a "basic" knowledge of how the
        transcription works - the letters on the keyboard are not equal to
        those in Tengwar (the letter T in Tengwar is written with the key 1
        on the keyboard etc.). Anyway, if you need help, here we're ready to
        answer your questions.
      • Eclipse
        Message 3 of 13 , Jul 20 1:22 PM
          --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, "calwen76" <calwen.rudh@...> wrote:

          > > > it should look like this
          > > >
          > > > http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a58/ash_nazg4321/lucia.jpg
          > > >
          > > > the keys for a tengwar font are " jUiT`C "
          >
          > I am not quite sure if this is the write transcription according
          > to "Quenya rules" ... I'd transcript: jUiGhÍC (lambe+U-tehta /
          silme
          > nuquerna+I tehta / yanta+A-tehta+under double dot)
          >
          > > Thanks. How did you come up with the keys for the tengwar
          font?
          > > There are a couple of other names I would like to do, and now
          that
          > > I've seen that it works in wordpad, I need help finding out how
          > > convert the name.
          >
          > Just upload the font here:
          > http://home.student.uu.se/jowi4905/fonts/annatar.html
          >
          > install it and then you can write your own stuff. But beware: what
          > you need to write it correctly is a "basic" knowledge of how the
          > transcription works - the letters on the keyboard are not equal to
          > those in Tengwar (the letter T in Tengwar is written with the key
          1
          > on the keyboard etc.). Anyway, if you need help, here we're ready
          > answer your questions.

          Thanks for all of your help. I cant thank all of you who responded
          enough.
        • Eclipse
          Message 4 of 13 , Jul 26 5:27 PM
            --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, "Eclipse" <a_broken_life@...>
            wrote:

            > > I am not quite sure if this is the write transcription according
            > > to "Quenya rules" ... I'd transcript: jUiGhÍC (lambe+U-tehta /
            > silme
            > > nuquerna+I tehta / yanta+A-tehta+under double dot)
            > >
            > > > Thanks. How did you come up with the keys for the tengwar
            > font?
            > > > There are a couple of other names I would like to do, and now
            > that
            > > > I've seen that it works in wordpad, I need help finding out
            how
            > > > convert the name.
            > >
            > > Just upload the font here:
            > > http://home.student.uu.se/jowi4905/fonts/annatar.html
            > >
            > > install it and then you can write your own stuff. But beware:
            what
            > > you need to write it correctly is a "basic" knowledge of how the
            > > transcription works - the letters on the keyboard are not equal
            > > those in Tengwar (the letter T in Tengwar is written with the
            key
            > 1
            > > on the keyboard etc.). Anyway, if you need help, here we're
            ready
            > > answer your questions.
            > >

            > Thanks for all of your help. I cant thank all of you who
            responded
            > enough.

            Ok, Ive read the keyboard mapping and the help files with the fonts,
            but I'm more confused than ever. That others names I wanted in
            the "Ring" style is Kelly and Jarrod. I've never been good at
            languages so any help would be appreciated.
            Message 5 of 13 , Jul 27 12:27 AM
              --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, "Eclipse" <a_broken_life@...> wrote:
              > Ok, Ive read the keyboard mapping and the help files with the
              fonts,
              > but I'm more confused than ever. That others names I wanted in
              > the "Ring" style is Kelly and Jarrod. I've never been good at
              > languages so any help would be appreciated.

              :-) It's okay... I've uploaded a file with the names to the Files of
              this group:

              ../calwen76/jarrod_kelly_lucia.bmp

              Check it out there.

              If you have uploaded the font, you can just cut and paste
              these "codes" to your Word editor and then change the font to Tengwar
              Annatar:
              zj$°`Û
              s7D2^
              jUiGhÍD

              Whatever is easier for you.

              Well, however, I just want to note that I transcripted Jarrod
              as "Jarod" since according to Professor's own scripts he used a below
              tilde (KL I, "Merry") or a double letter (KL I, "Stirring": by error,
              probably) - or didn't transcript it as double but as single (Errantry
              Inscription). Unfortunately, all these samples are written in a Mode
              of Beleriand. We have no evidence of a tehta mode with a word
              including a double R, so I followed my instincts (that may be wrong,
              of course) - I simply didn't like the under tilde there. So, as usual
              with such transcriptions, nothing is certain with the picture.

              Comments welcome!
              Lucy
            • Palatinus
              Message 6 of 13 , Jul 27 2:41 AM
                --- Eclipse <a_broken_life@...> έγραψε:

                > Ok, Ive read the keyboard mapping and the help files
                > with the fonts,
                > but I'm more confused than ever. That others names
                > I wanted in
                > the "Ring" style is Kelly and Jarrod. I've never
                > been good at
                > languages so any help would be appreciated.

                The 'code' that goes with your names is:

                s7'R2^ zjR¸`Û

                just paste it in Word(pad) and select the appropriate
                'Ring style' font you wanted

                Χρησιμοποιείτε Yahoo!;
              • Eclipse
                Message 7 of 13 , Jul 27 9:42 AM
                  --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, "calwen76" <calwen.rudh@...> wrote:

                  > --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, "Eclipse" <a_broken_life@> wrote:
                  > > Ok, Ive read the keyboard mapping and the help files with the
                  > fonts,
                  > > but I'm more confused than ever. That others names I wanted in
                  > > the "Ring" style is Kelly and Jarrod. I've never been good at
                  > > languages so any help would be appreciated.
                  >
                  > :-) It's okay... I've uploaded a file with the names to the Files
                  of
                  > this group:
                  >
                  > ../calwen76/jarrod_kelly_lucia.bmp
                  >
                  > Check it out there.
                  >
                  > If you have uploaded the font, you can just cut and paste
                  > these "codes" to your Word editor and then change the font to
                  Tengwar
                  > Annatar:
                  > zj$°`Û
                  > s7D2^
                  > jUiGhÍD
                  >
                  > Whatever is easier for you.
                  >
                  > Well, however, I just want to note that I transcripted Jarrod
                  > as "Jarod" since according to Professor's own scripts he used a
                  below
                  > tilde (KL I, "Merry") or a double letter (KL I, "Stirring": by
                  error,
                  > probably) - or didn't transcript it as double but as single
                  (Errantry
                  > Inscription). Unfortunately, all these samples are written in a
                  Mode
                  > of Beleriand. We have no evidence of a tehta mode with a word
                  > including a double R, so I followed my instincts (that may be
                  wrong,
                  > of course) - I simply didn't like the under tilde there. So, as
                  usual
                  > with such transcriptions, nothing is certain with the picture.
                  >
                  > Comments welcome!
                  > Lucy

                  Thanks for the help once again. I'm still reading and rereading
                  everything I find so hopefully I'll be able to figure all of this
                  out on my own. But thanks again to all who responded.