Re: Help with translation

  • Eclipse
    Message 1 of 13 , Jul 18 12:17 PM
      --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, "calwen76" <calwen.rudh@...> wrote:

      > --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, "Eclipse" <a_broken_life@> wrote:
      > >
      > > I want to have my daughters name translated with the Ring style
      > > script, and I just get more confused when I'm online trying to
      do it
      > > myself. Her name is Lucia and if someone could help me, I would
      > > greatly appreciate it.
      >
      > Hello,
      >
      > there are more ways of how to transcript the name, it would help
      us if
      > you could indicate how is the name pronounced: is the C spelt as
      [si:],
      > as in _city_ or more as [tch] as in _church_ (e.g. Spanish
      > pronunciation). And is it spelt LU-CI-A or differently?
      >
      > Lucy

      It's pronounced [si] like in city. It's spelled Lucia. I would
      like it in quenya with a style like the Ring. I appreciate any help
      you can give me.
    • ash_nazg4321
      Message 2 of 13 , Jul 18 1:00 PM
        wrote:

        > --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, "calwen76" <calwen.rudh@> wrote:
        > >
        > > --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, "Eclipse" <a_broken_life@>
        wrote:

        > > > I want to have my daughters name translated with the Ring
        style
        > > > script, and I just get more confused when I'm online trying to
        > do it
        > > > myself. Her name is Lucia and if someone could help me, I
        would
        > > > greatly appreciate it.
        > >
        > > Hello,
        > >
        > > there are more ways of how to transcript the name, it would help
        > us if
        > > you could indicate how is the name pronounced: is the C spelt as
        > [si:],
        > > as in _city_ or more as [tch] as in _church_ (e.g. Spanish
        > > pronunciation). And is it spelt LU-CI-A or differently?
        > >
        > > Lucy
        > >

        > It's pronounced [si] like in city. It's spelled Lucia. I would
        > like it in quenya with a style like the Ring. I appreciate any
        help
        > you can give me.

        it should look like this

        http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a58/ash_nazg4321/lucia.jpg

        the keys for a tengwar font are " jUiT`C "
      • Eclipse
        Message 3 of 13 , Jul 18 7:39 PM
          --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, "ash_nazg4321" <ash_nazg4321@...>
          wrote:

          > --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, "Eclipse" <a_broken_life@>
          > wrote:
          > >
          > > --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, "calwen76" <calwen.rudh@>
          wrote:

          > > > --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, "Eclipse" <a_broken_life@>

          > style
          > > do it
          > would
          > > >
          > > > Hello,
          > > >
          > > > there are more ways of how to transcript the name, it would
          help
          > > us if
          > > > you could indicate how is the name pronounced: is the C spelt
          as
          > > [si:],
          > > > as in _city_ or more as [tch] as in _church_ (e.g. Spanish
          > > > pronunciation). And is it spelt LU-CI-A or differently?
          > > >
          > > > Lucy
          > > >

          > > It's pronounced [si] like in city. It's spelled Lucia. I would
          > > like it in quenya with a style like the Ring. I appreciate any
          > help
          > > you can give me.
          > >

          > it should look like this
          >
          > http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a58/ash_nazg4321/lucia.jpg
          >
          > the keys for a tengwar font are " jUiT`C "

          Thanks. How did you come up with the keys for the tengwar font?
          There are a couple of other names I would like to do, and now that
          I've seen that it works in wordpad, I need help finding out how to
          convert the name.
        • Palatinus
          Message 4 of 13 , Jul 19 12:58 AM
            > Thanks. How did you come up with the keys for the
            > tengwar font?
            > There are a couple of other names I would like to
            > do, and now that
            > I've seen that it works in wordpad, I need help
            > finding out how to
            > convert the name.

            We read the help file and documentation coming with
            the fonts :)

            Especially this one
            http://www.acondia.com/font_tengwar/tengh19j.zip

            And this one is also a good source http://www.sci.fi/~alboin/tengwartutorial.htm

            Χρησιμοποιείτε Yahoo!;
            Message 5 of 13 , Jul 19 1:48 AM
              > > it should look like this
              > >
              > > http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a58/ash_nazg4321/lucia.jpg
              > >
              > > the keys for a tengwar font are " jUiT`C "

              I am not quite sure if this is the write transcription according
              to "Quenya rules" ... I'd transcript: jUiGhÍC (lambe+U-tehta / silme
              nuquerna+I tehta / yanta+A-tehta+under double dot)

              > Thanks. How did you come up with the keys for the tengwar font?
              > There are a couple of other names I would like to do, and now that
              > I've seen that it works in wordpad, I need help finding out how to
              > convert the name.

              Just upload the font here:
              http://home.student.uu.se/jowi4905/fonts/annatar.html

              install it and then you can write your own stuff. But beware: what
              you need to write it correctly is a "basic" knowledge of how the
              transcription works - the letters on the keyboard are not equal to
              those in Tengwar (the letter T in Tengwar is written with the key 1
              on the keyboard etc.). Anyway, if you need help, here we're ready to
              answer your questions.
            • Eclipse
              Message 6 of 13 , Jul 20 1:22 PM
                --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, "calwen76" <calwen.rudh@...> wrote:

                > > > it should look like this
                > > >
                > > > http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a58/ash_nazg4321/lucia.jpg
                > > >
                > > > the keys for a tengwar font are " jUiT`C "
                >
                > I am not quite sure if this is the write transcription according
                > to "Quenya rules" ... I'd transcript: jUiGhÍC (lambe+U-tehta /
                silme
                > nuquerna+I tehta / yanta+A-tehta+under double dot)
                >
                > > Thanks. How did you come up with the keys for the tengwar
                font?
                > > There are a couple of other names I would like to do, and now
                that
                > > I've seen that it works in wordpad, I need help finding out how
                > > convert the name.
                >
                > Just upload the font here:
                > http://home.student.uu.se/jowi4905/fonts/annatar.html
                >
                > install it and then you can write your own stuff. But beware: what
                > you need to write it correctly is a "basic" knowledge of how the
                > transcription works - the letters on the keyboard are not equal to
                > those in Tengwar (the letter T in Tengwar is written with the key
                1
                > on the keyboard etc.). Anyway, if you need help, here we're ready
                > answer your questions.

                Thanks for all of your help. I cant thank all of you who responded
                enough.
              • Eclipse
                Message 7 of 13 , Jul 26 5:27 PM
                  wrote:

                  > > I am not quite sure if this is the write transcription according
                  > > to "Quenya rules" ... I'd transcript: jUiGhÍC (lambe+U-tehta /
                  > silme
                  > > nuquerna+I tehta / yanta+A-tehta+under double dot)
                  > >
                  > > > Thanks. How did you come up with the keys for the tengwar
                  > font?
                  > > > There are a couple of other names I would like to do, and now
                  > that
                  > > > I've seen that it works in wordpad, I need help finding out
                  how
                  > > > convert the name.
                  > >
                  > > Just upload the font here:
                  > > http://home.student.uu.se/jowi4905/fonts/annatar.html
                  > >
                  > > install it and then you can write your own stuff. But beware:
                  what
                  > > you need to write it correctly is a "basic" knowledge of how the
                  > > transcription works - the letters on the keyboard are not equal
                  > > those in Tengwar (the letter T in Tengwar is written with the
                  key
                  > 1
                  > > on the keyboard etc.). Anyway, if you need help, here we're
                  ready
                  > > answer your questions.
                  > >

                  > Thanks for all of your help. I cant thank all of you who
                  responded
                  > enough.

                  Ok, Ive read the keyboard mapping and the help files with the fonts,
                  but I'm more confused than ever. That others names I wanted in
                  the "Ring" style is Kelly and Jarrod. I've never been good at
                  languages so any help would be appreciated.
                  Message 8 of 13 , Jul 27 12:27 AM
                    --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, "Eclipse" <a_broken_life@...> wrote:
                    > Ok, Ive read the keyboard mapping and the help files with the
                    fonts,
                    > but I'm more confused than ever. That others names I wanted in
                    > the "Ring" style is Kelly and Jarrod. I've never been good at
                    > languages so any help would be appreciated.

                    :-) It's okay... I've uploaded a file with the names to the Files of
                    this group:

                    ../calwen76/jarrod_kelly_lucia.bmp

                    Check it out there.

                    If you have uploaded the font, you can just cut and paste
                    these "codes" to your Word editor and then change the font to Tengwar
                    Annatar:
                    zj$°`Û
                    s7D2^
                    jUiGhÍD

                    Whatever is easier for you.

                    Well, however, I just want to note that I transcripted Jarrod
                    as "Jarod" since according to Professor's own scripts he used a below
                    tilde (KL I, "Merry") or a double letter (KL I, "Stirring": by error,
                    probably) - or didn't transcript it as double but as single (Errantry
                    Inscription). Unfortunately, all these samples are written in a Mode
                    of Beleriand. We have no evidence of a tehta mode with a word
                    including a double R, so I followed my instincts (that may be wrong,
                    of course) - I simply didn't like the under tilde there. So, as usual
                    with such transcriptions, nothing is certain with the picture.

                    Comments welcome!
                    Lucy
                  • Palatinus
                    Message 9 of 13 , Jul 27 2:41 AM
                      --- Eclipse <a_broken_life@...> έγραψε:

                      > Ok, Ive read the keyboard mapping and the help files
                      > with the fonts,
                      > but I'm more confused than ever. That others names
                      > I wanted in
                      > the "Ring" style is Kelly and Jarrod. I've never
                      > been good at
                      > languages so any help would be appreciated.

                      The 'code' that goes with your names is:

                      s7'R2^ zjR¸`Û

                      just paste it in Word(pad) and select the appropriate
                      'Ring style' font you wanted

                      Χρησιμοποιείτε Yahoo!;
                    • Eclipse
                      Message 10 of 13 , Jul 27 9:42 AM
                        --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, "calwen76" <calwen.rudh@...> wrote:

                        > --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, "Eclipse" <a_broken_life@> wrote:
                        > > Ok, Ive read the keyboard mapping and the help files with the
                        > fonts,
                        > > but I'm more confused than ever. That others names I wanted in
                        > > the "Ring" style is Kelly and Jarrod. I've never been good at
                        > > languages so any help would be appreciated.
                        >
                        > :-) It's okay... I've uploaded a file with the names to the Files
                        of
                        > this group:
                        >
                        > ../calwen76/jarrod_kelly_lucia.bmp
                        >
                        > Check it out there.
                        >
                        > If you have uploaded the font, you can just cut and paste
                        > these "codes" to your Word editor and then change the font to
                        Tengwar
                        > Annatar:
                        > zj$°`Û
                        > s7D2^
                        > jUiGhÍD
                        >
                        > Whatever is easier for you.
                        >
                        > Well, however, I just want to note that I transcripted Jarrod
                        > as "Jarod" since according to Professor's own scripts he used a
                        below
                        > tilde (KL I, "Merry") or a double letter (KL I, "Stirring": by
                        error,
                        > probably) - or didn't transcript it as double but as single
                        (Errantry
                        > Inscription). Unfortunately, all these samples are written in a
                        Mode
                        > of Beleriand. We have no evidence of a tehta mode with a word
                        > including a double R, so I followed my instincts (that may be
                        wrong,
                        > of course) - I simply didn't like the under tilde there. So, as
                        usual
                        > with such transcriptions, nothing is certain with the picture.
                        >
                        > Comments welcome!
                        > Lucy

                        Thanks for the help once again. I'm still reading and rereading
                        everything I find so hopefully I'll be able to figure all of this
                        out on my own. But thanks again to all who responded.