Re: Help with translation

    Message 1 of 13 , Jul 17 11:03 PM
      --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, "Eclipse" <a_broken_life@...> wrote:

      > I want to have my daughters name translated with the Ring style
      > script, and I just get more confused when I'm online trying to do it
      > myself. Her name is Lucia and if someone could help me, I would
      > greatly appreciate it.

      Hello,

      there are more ways of how to transcript the name, it would help us if
      you could indicate how is the name pronounced: is the C spelt as [si:],
      as in _city_ or more as [tch] as in _church_ (e.g. Spanish
      pronunciation). And is it spelt LU-CI-A or differently?

      Lucy
    • Eclipse
      Message 2 of 13 , Jul 18 12:17 PM
        --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, "calwen76" <calwen.rudh@...> wrote:

        > --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, "Eclipse" <a_broken_life@> wrote:
        > >
        > > I want to have my daughters name translated with the Ring style
        > > script, and I just get more confused when I'm online trying to
        do it
        > > myself. Her name is Lucia and if someone could help me, I would
        > > greatly appreciate it.
        >
        > Hello,
        >
        > there are more ways of how to transcript the name, it would help
        us if
        > you could indicate how is the name pronounced: is the C spelt as
        [si:],
        > as in _city_ or more as [tch] as in _church_ (e.g. Spanish
        > pronunciation). And is it spelt LU-CI-A or differently?
        >
        > Lucy

        It's pronounced [si] like in city. It's spelled Lucia. I would
        like it in quenya with a style like the Ring. I appreciate any help
        you can give me.
      • ash_nazg4321
        Message 3 of 13 , Jul 18 1:00 PM
          wrote:

          > --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, "calwen76" <calwen.rudh@> wrote:
          > >
          > > --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, "Eclipse" <a_broken_life@>
          wrote:

          > > > I want to have my daughters name translated with the Ring
          style
          > > > script, and I just get more confused when I'm online trying to
          > do it
          > > > myself. Her name is Lucia and if someone could help me, I
          would
          > > > greatly appreciate it.
          > >
          > > Hello,
          > >
          > > there are more ways of how to transcript the name, it would help
          > us if
          > > you could indicate how is the name pronounced: is the C spelt as
          > [si:],
          > > as in _city_ or more as [tch] as in _church_ (e.g. Spanish
          > > pronunciation). And is it spelt LU-CI-A or differently?
          > >
          > > Lucy
          > >

          > It's pronounced [si] like in city. It's spelled Lucia. I would
          > like it in quenya with a style like the Ring. I appreciate any
          help
          > you can give me.

          it should look like this

          http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a58/ash_nazg4321/lucia.jpg

          the keys for a tengwar font are " jUiT`C "
        • Eclipse
          Message 4 of 13 , Jul 18 7:39 PM
            --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, "ash_nazg4321" <ash_nazg4321@...>
            wrote:

            > --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, "Eclipse" <a_broken_life@>
            > wrote:
            > >
            > > --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, "calwen76" <calwen.rudh@>
            wrote:

            > > > --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, "Eclipse" <a_broken_life@>

            > style
            > > do it
            > would
            > > >
            > > > Hello,
            > > >
            > > > there are more ways of how to transcript the name, it would
            help
            > > us if
            > > > you could indicate how is the name pronounced: is the C spelt
            as
            > > [si:],
            > > > as in _city_ or more as [tch] as in _church_ (e.g. Spanish
            > > > pronunciation). And is it spelt LU-CI-A or differently?
            > > >
            > > > Lucy
            > > >

            > > It's pronounced [si] like in city. It's spelled Lucia. I would
            > > like it in quenya with a style like the Ring. I appreciate any
            > help
            > > you can give me.
            > >

            > it should look like this
            >
            > http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a58/ash_nazg4321/lucia.jpg
            >
            > the keys for a tengwar font are " jUiT`C "

            Thanks. How did you come up with the keys for the tengwar font?
            There are a couple of other names I would like to do, and now that
            I've seen that it works in wordpad, I need help finding out how to
            convert the name.
          • Palatinus
            Message 5 of 13 , Jul 19 12:58 AM
              > Thanks. How did you come up with the keys for the
              > tengwar font?
              > There are a couple of other names I would like to
              > do, and now that
              > I've seen that it works in wordpad, I need help
              > finding out how to
              > convert the name.

              We read the help file and documentation coming with
              the fonts :)

              Especially this one
              http://www.acondia.com/font_tengwar/tengh19j.zip

              And this one is also a good source http://www.sci.fi/~alboin/tengwartutorial.htm

              Χρησιμοποιείτε Yahoo!;
              Message 6 of 13 , Jul 19 1:48 AM
                > > it should look like this
                > >
                > > http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a58/ash_nazg4321/lucia.jpg
                > >
                > > the keys for a tengwar font are " jUiT`C "

                I am not quite sure if this is the write transcription according
                to "Quenya rules" ... I'd transcript: jUiGhÍC (lambe+U-tehta / silme
                nuquerna+I tehta / yanta+A-tehta+under double dot)

                > Thanks. How did you come up with the keys for the tengwar font?
                > There are a couple of other names I would like to do, and now that
                > I've seen that it works in wordpad, I need help finding out how to
                > convert the name.

                Just upload the font here:
                http://home.student.uu.se/jowi4905/fonts/annatar.html

                install it and then you can write your own stuff. But beware: what
                you need to write it correctly is a "basic" knowledge of how the
                transcription works - the letters on the keyboard are not equal to
                those in Tengwar (the letter T in Tengwar is written with the key 1
                on the keyboard etc.). Anyway, if you need help, here we're ready to
                answer your questions.
              • Eclipse
                Message 7 of 13 , Jul 20 1:22 PM
                  --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, "calwen76" <calwen.rudh@...> wrote:

                  > > > it should look like this
                  > > >
                  > > > http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a58/ash_nazg4321/lucia.jpg
                  > > >
                  > > > the keys for a tengwar font are " jUiT`C "
                  >
                  > I am not quite sure if this is the write transcription according
                  > to "Quenya rules" ... I'd transcript: jUiGhÍC (lambe+U-tehta /
                  silme
                  > nuquerna+I tehta / yanta+A-tehta+under double dot)
                  >
                  > > Thanks. How did you come up with the keys for the tengwar
                  font?
                  > > There are a couple of other names I would like to do, and now
                  that
                  > > I've seen that it works in wordpad, I need help finding out how
                  > > convert the name.
                  >
                  > Just upload the font here:
                  > http://home.student.uu.se/jowi4905/fonts/annatar.html
                  >
                  > install it and then you can write your own stuff. But beware: what
                  > you need to write it correctly is a "basic" knowledge of how the
                  > transcription works - the letters on the keyboard are not equal to
                  > those in Tengwar (the letter T in Tengwar is written with the key
                  1
                  > on the keyboard etc.). Anyway, if you need help, here we're ready
                  > answer your questions.

                  Thanks for all of your help. I cant thank all of you who responded
                  enough.
                • Eclipse
                  Message 8 of 13 , Jul 26 5:27 PM
                    wrote:

                    > > I am not quite sure if this is the write transcription according
                    > > to "Quenya rules" ... I'd transcript: jUiGhÍC (lambe+U-tehta /
                    > silme
                    > > nuquerna+I tehta / yanta+A-tehta+under double dot)
                    > >
                    > > > Thanks. How did you come up with the keys for the tengwar
                    > font?
                    > > > There are a couple of other names I would like to do, and now
                    > that
                    > > > I've seen that it works in wordpad, I need help finding out
                    how
                    > > > convert the name.
                    > >
                    > > Just upload the font here:
                    > > http://home.student.uu.se/jowi4905/fonts/annatar.html
                    > >
                    > > install it and then you can write your own stuff. But beware:
                    what
                    > > you need to write it correctly is a "basic" knowledge of how the
                    > > transcription works - the letters on the keyboard are not equal
                    > > those in Tengwar (the letter T in Tengwar is written with the
                    key
                    > 1
                    > > on the keyboard etc.). Anyway, if you need help, here we're
                    ready
                    > > answer your questions.
                    > >

                    > Thanks for all of your help. I cant thank all of you who
                    responded
                    > enough.

                    Ok, Ive read the keyboard mapping and the help files with the fonts,
                    but I'm more confused than ever. That others names I wanted in
                    the "Ring" style is Kelly and Jarrod. I've never been good at
                    languages so any help would be appreciated.
                    Message 9 of 13 , Jul 27 12:27 AM
                      --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, "Eclipse" <a_broken_life@...> wrote:
                      > Ok, Ive read the keyboard mapping and the help files with the
                      fonts,
                      > but I'm more confused than ever. That others names I wanted in
                      > the "Ring" style is Kelly and Jarrod. I've never been good at
                      > languages so any help would be appreciated.

                      :-) It's okay... I've uploaded a file with the names to the Files of
                      this group:

                      ../calwen76/jarrod_kelly_lucia.bmp

                      Check it out there.

                      If you have uploaded the font, you can just cut and paste
                      these "codes" to your Word editor and then change the font to Tengwar
                      Annatar:
                      zj$°`Û
                      s7D2^
                      jUiGhÍD

                      Whatever is easier for you.

                      Well, however, I just want to note that I transcripted Jarrod
                      as "Jarod" since according to Professor's own scripts he used a below
                      tilde (KL I, "Merry") or a double letter (KL I, "Stirring": by error,
                      probably) - or didn't transcript it as double but as single (Errantry
                      Inscription). Unfortunately, all these samples are written in a Mode
                      of Beleriand. We have no evidence of a tehta mode with a word
                      including a double R, so I followed my instincts (that may be wrong,
                      of course) - I simply didn't like the under tilde there. So, as usual
                      with such transcriptions, nothing is certain with the picture.

                      Comments welcome!
                      Lucy
                    • Palatinus
                      Message 10 of 13 , Jul 27 2:41 AM
                        --- Eclipse <a_broken_life@...> έγραψε:

                        > Ok, Ive read the keyboard mapping and the help files
                        > with the fonts,
                        > but I'm more confused than ever. That others names
                        > I wanted in
                        > the "Ring" style is Kelly and Jarrod. I've never
                        > been good at
                        > languages so any help would be appreciated.

                        The 'code' that goes with your names is:

                        s7'R2^ zjR¸`Û

                        just paste it in Word(pad) and select the appropriate
                        'Ring style' font you wanted

                        Χρησιμοποιείτε Yahoo!;
                      • Eclipse
                        Message 11 of 13 , Jul 27 9:42 AM
                          --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, "calwen76" <calwen.rudh@...> wrote:

                          > --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, "Eclipse" <a_broken_life@> wrote:
                          > > Ok, Ive read the keyboard mapping and the help files with the
                          > fonts,
                          > > but I'm more confused than ever. That others names I wanted in
                          > > the "Ring" style is Kelly and Jarrod. I've never been good at
                          > > languages so any help would be appreciated.
                          >
                          > :-) It's okay... I've uploaded a file with the names to the Files
                          of
                          > this group:
                          >
                          > ../calwen76/jarrod_kelly_lucia.bmp
                          >
                          > Check it out there.
                          >
                          > If you have uploaded the font, you can just cut and paste
                          > these "codes" to your Word editor and then change the font to
                          Tengwar
                          > Annatar:
                          > zj$°`Û
                          > s7D2^
                          > jUiGhÍD
                          >
                          > Whatever is easier for you.
                          >
                          > Well, however, I just want to note that I transcripted Jarrod
                          > as "Jarod" since according to Professor's own scripts he used a
                          below
                          > tilde (KL I, "Merry") or a double letter (KL I, "Stirring": by
                          error,
                          > probably) - or didn't transcript it as double but as single
                          (Errantry
                          > Inscription). Unfortunately, all these samples are written in a
                          Mode
                          > of Beleriand. We have no evidence of a tehta mode with a word
                          > including a double R, so I followed my instincts (that may be
                          wrong,
                          > of course) - I simply didn't like the under tilde there. So, as
                          usual
                          > with such transcriptions, nothing is certain with the picture.
                          >
                          > Comments welcome!
                          > Lucy

                          Thanks for the help once again. I'm still reading and rereading
                          everything I find so hopefully I'll be able to figure all of this
                          out on my own. But thanks again to all who responded.