Re: Attempted tranlation of Kingswood

  • hisilome
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 7, 2006
      --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, "j_mach_wust" <j_mach_wust@...> wrote:

      > Additionally, the 'classical' Quenya orthography uses letter úre for
      > 'v', not the letter ampa.

      Hm. Doesn't the "classical" Quenya mode employ vala or vilya (w > v)
      for "v" (i.e. the sound usually expressed by ampa in English or
      Sindarin modes)? And reserve úre for "u/w" diphthongs?

      Hisilome
    • j_mach_wust
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 8, 2006
        Hisilome wrote:
        > > Additionally, the 'classical' Quenya orthography uses letter úre
        > > for'v', not the letter ampa.
        >
        > Hm. Doesn't the "classical" Quenya mode employ vala or vilya (w > v)
        > for "v" (i.e. the sound usually expressed by ampa in English or
        > Sindarin modes)? And reserve úre for "u/w" diphthongs?
        ..

        Certainly! Thanks for the correction, I'm very sorry I have confused
        the letter names.

        The question whether to use vala or vilya depends on etymology.
        However, Tolkien may have used vala as default letter for any 'v' in
        the 'classical' Quenya orthography, just as he used silme for any 's',
        even though he claimed that the transcription of 's' also depended on
        etymology.

        Arantauri wrote:
        > Do u know which was the original mode that Féanor was said to have
        > devised?

        As far as I know, this is not known.

      • Måns Björkman
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 10, 2006
          Hi,

          Sorry for chiming in late in the discussion. Since I "know somewhat of
          the Valinorean", as the healers of Minas Tirith would say, I might
          comment on the Quenya translation. Essentially it is correct, but
          _tauri_ means "woods", in plural. The singular form "wood" is _taure_.

          As regards the transcription to Tengwar I can add little to what has
          already been said, except that in the classical mode _nt_ would
          perhaps in this case *not* be written with <anto> - since the _n_ and
          _t_ originally belong to different words: _aran-taure_.

          Yours,
          Måns
        • arantauri
          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 11, 2006
            --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, Måns Björkman <mansb@...> wrote:

            > _tauri_ means "woods", in plural. The singular form "wood" is
            _taure_.

            Thanks very much guys for your insight... I'm glad you 'Know somewhat
            of the valinorean' more than me!
            I'm glad you corrected me to arantaure, thankfully my transcription
            into tengwar can be easily ammended by changing the final vowel-mark-
            if i assume correctly?!
            May i also give special thanks to Mans Bjórkman for his
            webpage 'Amanye Tenceli' as it was and incredible help to me and my
            transcription.
            I think I'm going to go ahead with the ammended tattoo, and i will
            post a photo of the final result if you're interested!
            cheers arantaur'e'.