Transcription Trouble

  • Palatinus
    Message 1 of 7 , May 14, 2006
      --- risquename <risquename@...> έγραψε:

      Hi.

      Use this site, it's good

      http://www.tengwar.art.pl/tengwar/ott/start.php?l=en

      Here is what it gives me:

      http://www.tengwar.art.pl/tengwar/ott/obrazek.php?f=p&s=40&t=LWBWalI1IDh+QmpFIGp+TXQkNSJedCQ0JWBWanlZLQ==

      > Hey guys, my brain is turning to mush and I need
      > some help switching
      > from quenya to tengwar and for some reason my
      > keyboard mapping is
      > going all wonky. Any help would be really...helpful;
      > the phrase is:
      >
      > Elen sνla lϊmenn' omentielvo
      >
      > thanks a lot :)

      Χρησιμοποιείτε Yahoo!;
    • Melroch 'Aestan
      Message 2 of 7 , May 15, 2006
        Palatinus skrev:
        > Use this site, it's good
        >
        > http://www.tengwar.art.pl/tengwar/ott/start.php?l=en

        It should however be pointed out that its "English" mode is
        highly deficient, since it doesn't handle vowel digraphs
        even nearly right. While I do understand that you can't
        expect to map normal english spelling to an 'orthographic'
        mode even nearly right without *very* sophisticated mapping
        rules -- I know since I've tried to do just that with
        regular expressions -- the basic convertion of digraphs like
        _ou, au, ai, oi_ to Úre or Yanta with tehta rather than
        combinations of tehtar on short carriers is entirely
        feasible using a TengScribe-like substitution method.

        --

        /BP 8^)>
        A h-ammen ledin i phith! \ \
        Message 3 of 7 , May 16, 2006
          Thanks for all the help guys. So far I've ended up mapping "jR5$
          8~Bj`C j~Mt5$"² t^1[R`BjRr`N" (sans quotes, obviously) but I still
          think there is a probelm with the tehtar around the bunching of malta.
          Or Numen. Maybe that's my problem. Well, they're either m's or n's. I
          think. Any suggestions?
        • Palatinus
          Message 4 of 7 , May 16, 2006
            --- risquename <risquename@...> έγραψε:

            > Thanks for all the help guys. So far I've ended up
            > mapping "jR5$
            > 8~Bj`C j~Mt5$"² t^1[R`BjRr`N" (sans quotes,
            > obviously) but I still
            > think there is a probelm with the tehtar around the
            > bunching of malta.
            > Or Numen. Maybe that's my problem. Well, they're
            > either m's or n's. I
            > think. Any suggestions?

            Hmm.. you used a mode where the tehtar go above the
            PRECEDING tengwar, while in Quenya it's the opposite:
            you wrote 'lene' instead of 'elen'

            Quenya uses a single tengwa for 'nt', not T+preceding

            also, tengwar have no apostrophes :)

            Χρησιμοποιείτε Yahoo!;
          • risquename
            Message 5 of 7 , May 17, 2006
              Well now I'm a huge mess...how about this? It's almost the same with
              some extra characters. `VjR5 8~BjE j~Mt$5" `Nt$4%`VjY$

              --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, Palatinus <elfiness@...> wrote:

              > --- risquename <risquename@...> Ýãñáøå:
              >
              > > Thanks for all the help guys. So far I've ended up
              > > mapping "jR5$
              > > 8~Bj`C j~Mt5$"² t^1[R`BjRr`N" (sans quotes,
              > > obviously) but I still
              > > think there is a probelm with the tehtar around the
              > > bunching of malta.
              > > Or Numen. Maybe that's my problem. Well, they're
              > > either m's or n's. I
              > > think. Any suggestions?
              >
              > Hmm.. you used a mode where the tehtar go above the
              > PRECEDING tengwar, while in Quenya it's the opposite:
              > you wrote 'lene' instead of 'elen'
              >
              > Quenya uses a single tengwa for 'nt', not T+preceding
              >
              > also, tengwar have no apostrophes :)

              > ×ñçóéìïðïéåßôå Yahoo!;
              > ÂáñåèÞêáôå ôá åíï÷ëçôéêÜ ìçíýìáôá (spam); Ôï Yahoo! Mail
              > äéáèÝôåé ôçí êáëýôåñç äõíáôÞ ðñïóôáóßá êáôÜ ôùí åíï÷ëçôéêþí
              > ìçíõìÜôùí http://login.yahoo.com/config/mail?.intl=gr

            • Palatinus
              Message 6 of 7 , May 17, 2006
                --- risquename <risquename@...> έγραψε:

                > Well now I'm a huge mess...how about this? It's
                > almost the same with
                > some extra characters. `VjR5 8~BjE j~Mt$5"
                > `Nt$4%`VjY$

                I find it correct. Only that you made a typo and the
                last Y (before $) must be y: Y corresponds to a tehtar
                e, while y is the tengwa for v, as should

                Χρησιμοποιείτε Yahoo!;