Transcription Trouble

  • risquename
    Message 1 of 7 , May 13, 2006
      Hey guys, my brain is turning to mush and I need some help switching
      from quenya to tengwar and for some reason my keyboard mapping is
      going all wonky. Any help would be really...helpful; the phrase is:

      Elen síla lúmenn' omentielvo

      thanks a lot :)
    • Palatinus
      Message 2 of 7 , May 14, 2006
        --- risquename <risquename@...> έγραψε:

        Hi.

        Use this site, it's good

        http://www.tengwar.art.pl/tengwar/ott/start.php?l=en

        Here is what it gives me:

        http://www.tengwar.art.pl/tengwar/ott/obrazek.php?f=p&s=40&t=LWBWalI1IDh+QmpFIGp+TXQkNSJedCQ0JWBWanlZLQ==

        > Hey guys, my brain is turning to mush and I need
        > some help switching
        > from quenya to tengwar and for some reason my
        > keyboard mapping is
        > going all wonky. Any help would be really...helpful;
        > the phrase is:
        >
        > Elen sνla lϊmenn' omentielvo
        >
        > thanks a lot :)

        Χρησιμοποιείτε Yahoo!;
      • Melroch 'Aestan
        Message 3 of 7 , May 15, 2006
          Palatinus skrev:
          > Use this site, it's good
          >
          > http://www.tengwar.art.pl/tengwar/ott/start.php?l=en

          It should however be pointed out that its "English" mode is
          highly deficient, since it doesn't handle vowel digraphs
          even nearly right. While I do understand that you can't
          expect to map normal english spelling to an 'orthographic'
          mode even nearly right without *very* sophisticated mapping
          rules -- I know since I've tried to do just that with
          regular expressions -- the basic convertion of digraphs like
          _ou, au, ai, oi_ to Úre or Yanta with tehta rather than
          combinations of tehtar on short carriers is entirely
          feasible using a TengScribe-like substitution method.

          --

          /BP 8^)>
          A h-ammen ledin i phith! \ \
          Message 4 of 7 , May 16, 2006
            Thanks for all the help guys. So far I've ended up mapping "jR5$
            8~Bj`C j~Mt5$"² t^1[R`BjRr`N" (sans quotes, obviously) but I still
            think there is a probelm with the tehtar around the bunching of malta.
            Or Numen. Maybe that's my problem. Well, they're either m's or n's. I
            think. Any suggestions?
          • Palatinus
            Message 5 of 7 , May 16, 2006
              --- risquename <risquename@...> έγραψε:

              > Thanks for all the help guys. So far I've ended up
              > mapping "jR5$
              > 8~Bj`C j~Mt5$"² t^1[R`BjRr`N" (sans quotes,
              > obviously) but I still
              > think there is a probelm with the tehtar around the
              > bunching of malta.
              > Or Numen. Maybe that's my problem. Well, they're
              > either m's or n's. I
              > think. Any suggestions?

              Hmm.. you used a mode where the tehtar go above the
              PRECEDING tengwar, while in Quenya it's the opposite:
              you wrote 'lene' instead of 'elen'

              Quenya uses a single tengwa for 'nt', not T+preceding

              also, tengwar have no apostrophes :)

              Χρησιμοποιείτε Yahoo!;
            • risquename
              Message 6 of 7 , May 17, 2006
                Well now I'm a huge mess...how about this? It's almost the same with
                some extra characters. `VjR5 8~BjE j~Mt$5" `Nt$4%`VjY$

                --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, Palatinus <elfiness@...> wrote:

                > --- risquename <risquename@...> Ýãñáøå:
                >
                > > Thanks for all the help guys. So far I've ended up
                > > mapping "jR5$
                > > 8~Bj`C j~Mt5$"² t^1[R`BjRr`N" (sans quotes,
                > > obviously) but I still
                > > think there is a probelm with the tehtar around the
                > > bunching of malta.
                > > Or Numen. Maybe that's my problem. Well, they're
                > > either m's or n's. I
                > > think. Any suggestions?
                >
                > Hmm.. you used a mode where the tehtar go above the
                > PRECEDING tengwar, while in Quenya it's the opposite:
                > you wrote 'lene' instead of 'elen'
                >
                > Quenya uses a single tengwa for 'nt', not T+preceding
                >
                > also, tengwar have no apostrophes :)

                > ×ñçóéìïðïéåßôå Yahoo!;
                > ÂáñåèÞêáôå ôá åíï÷ëçôéêÜ ìçíýìáôá (spam); Ôï Yahoo! Mail
                > äéáèÝôåé ôçí êáëýôåñç äõíáôÞ ðñïóôáóßá êáôÜ ôùí åíï÷ëçôéêþí
                > ìçíõìÜôùí http://login.yahoo.com/config/mail?.intl=gr

              • Palatinus
                Message 7 of 7 , May 17, 2006
                  --- risquename <risquename@...> έγραψε:

                  > Well now I'm a huge mess...how about this? It's
                  > almost the same with
                  > some extra characters. `VjR5 8~BjE j~Mt$5"
                  > `Nt$4%`VjY$

                  I find it correct. Only that you made a typo and the
                  last Y (before $) must be y: Y corresponds to a tehtar
                  e, while y is the tengwa for v, as should

                  Χρησιμοποιείτε Yahoo!;