Help with wedding band inscriptions

  • limeepeng
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 29, 2006
      Hi,
      I'm new here. Thank god I found this group! I have been trying to
      translate a sentence into Quenya and then transcribed into Tengwar.
      I hope to engrave it onto my husband's wedding band.
      In English, it reads:
      Jeffrey, the love of my life.
      I love you. Alice.
      With the help of online dictionaries, I found Quenya translations
      of 'i love you' = Tye-mela'ne while 'the love of my life' = melde
      cuilenyo. this information was taken from a previous post in this
      board although I'm not sure whether it is in quenya or sindarin.
      It's harder to translate the names but www.elvish.org/elm/names was
      a great help. I found that Jeffrey = Manesero and Alice =
      Arnostale.When put together in Quenya, it reads:
      Manesero, melde cuilenyo.Tye-mela'ne, Arnostale.
      Is that right?
      I've also used the online tengwar transcriber software from
      www.tengwar.art.pl/tengwar/ott/start.php to transcribe it. The
      file 'limeepenghelp' is found in the file section. Could somebody
      help to see if the transcription is correct?
      Your help will be very much appreciated. Thanks!
    • Palatinus
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 30, 2006
        > of 'i love you' = Tye-mela'ne while 'the love of my
        > life' = melde
        > cuilenyo. this information was taken from a previous
        > post in this
        > board although I'm not sure whether it is in quenya
        > or sindarin.

        Mela'ne has not an apostrophe, it's an accent above a
        (too bad I can't type it)

        It's Quenya but it's not that simple; it's an early
        form of Quenya that Tolkien made before writing LOTR.
        We all know that fans like to write in neo-Quenya
        based on LOTR and try to reconstruct (hence the prefix
        "neo-") words. How I love you in LOTR style Quenya
        could be, is not fully understood. Some would propose
        you melinyel, tye-melin and/or other combinations.

        Please join Elfling, a language mailing list for a
        discussion on it

        > It's harder to translate the names but
        > www.elvish.org/elm/names was
        > a great help. I found that Jeffrey = Manesero and
        > Alice =
        > Arnostale.

        That's a site that many like and refer to it when they
        feel the urge to translate names. The translations of
        course belong to the site owner, not Tolkien, but
        that's not an issue for those who want to use
        neo-Quenya

        > I've also used the online tengwar transcriber
        > software from
        > www.tengwar.art.pl/tengwar/ott/start.php to
        > transcribe it. The

        A transcriber that is mostly correct. It has some
        difficulty with special spelling rules of some words,
        but your phrase doesn't contain one

        > file 'limeepenghelp' is found in the file section.
        > Could somebody
        > help to see if the transcription is correct?
        > Your help will be very much appreciated. Thanks!

        Your mistake was that you wrote Mela'ne as an
        apostophe, while you should have typed the button with
        accented a. Also, your original had a full stop before
        Alice, while here you put a comma

        Χρησιμοποιείτε Yahoo!;
      • limeepeng
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 31, 2006
          Thanks for verifying my transcription.
          I found the apostrophe a little strange cos I haven't seen quenya
          with an apostrophe before. I supposed the author of the webpage i
          visited found it impossible to display the accent so he resorted to
          using the apostrophe.
          One big challenge to mastering elvish is that there are so many
          different ways to translate a single word. More over, there is no
          right or wrong way.
          Is there a good quenya pronuciation site that you can recommend?
          I'm glad you replied. Thanks a lot for your help.I'm going to do the
          engraving today. I will upload the pic of the ring onto the photos
          section when it's done.

          --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, Palatinus <elfiness@...> wrote:

          > > of 'i love you' = Tye-mela'ne while 'the love of my
          > > life' = melde
          > > cuilenyo. this information was taken from a previous
          > > post in this
          > > board although I'm not sure whether it is in quenya
          > > or sindarin.
          >
          > Mela'ne has not an apostrophe, it's an accent above a
          > (too bad I can't type it)
          >
          > It's Quenya but it's not that simple; it's an early
          > form of Quenya that Tolkien made before writing LOTR.
          > We all know that fans like to write in neo-Quenya
          > based on LOTR and try to reconstruct (hence the prefix
          > "neo-") words. How I love you in LOTR style Quenya
          > could be, is not fully understood. Some would propose
          > you melinyel, tye-melin and/or other combinations.
          >
          > Please join Elfling, a language mailing list for a
          > discussion on it
          >
          > > It's harder to translate the names but
          > > www.elvish.org/elm/names was
          > > a great help. I found that Jeffrey = Manesero and
          > > Alice =
          > > Arnostale.
          >
          > That's a site that many like and refer to it when they
          > feel the urge to translate names. The translations of
          > course belong to the site owner, not Tolkien, but
          > that's not an issue for those who want to use
          > neo-Quenya
          >
          > > I've also used the online tengwar transcriber
          > > software from
          > > www.tengwar.art.pl/tengwar/ott/start.php to
          > > transcribe it. The
          >
          > A transcriber that is mostly correct. It has some
          > difficulty with special spelling rules of some words,
          > but your phrase doesn't contain one
          >
          > > file 'limeepenghelp' is found in the file section.
          > > Could somebody
          > > help to see if the transcription is correct?
          > > Your help will be very much appreciated. Thanks!
          >
          > Your mistake was that you wrote Mela'ne as an
          > apostophe, while you should have typed the button with
          > accented a. Also, your original had a full stop before
          > Alice, while here you put a comma

          > ×ñçóéìïðïéåßôå Yahoo!;
          > ÂáñåèÞêáôå ôá åíï÷ëçôéêÜ ìçíýìáôá (spam); Ôï Yahoo! Mail
          > äéáèÝôåé ôç?êáëýôåñç äõíáôÞ ðñïóôáóß?êáôÜ ôù?åíï÷ëçôéêþ?
          > ìçíõìÜôù?http://login.yahoo.com/config/mail?.intl=gr

        • Palatinus
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 2 4:43 AM
            > One big challenge to mastering elvish is that there
            > are so many
            > different ways to translate a single word. More

            that applies to all the languages really

            > over, there is no
            > right or wrong way.

            Indeed, because the language is not finite and stable.

            > Is there a good quenya pronuciation site that you
            > can recommend?

            Read the Appendix E of Return of the King

            Χρησιμοποιείτε Yahoo!;