Re: Translation check

  • i_degilbor
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 25 8:26 AM
      Teithant majavis:

      > I am trying to translate, from The Fellowship of the Ring, a short
      > phrase from a poem in Book II, Chapter 6, "Lothlórien". The
      phrase is:

      > Lórien the fair
      >
      > Which I have translated:
      >
      > Lórien i bain
      >
      > Or to be inputed into a Daniel Smith font as:
      >
      > j~N7`B5$ `B w`C5%
      >

      > Have I translated this properly? Any help or suggestions would be
      > appreciated.

      The 'b' in _bain_ would need to be lenited, so the correct form of
      the word is _vain_. Personally, I would leave out the definite
      article, giving _Lórien vain_. This would be typed as:

      j~N7`B5$ rhD5

      If you feel you really must use the definite article _i_, it should
      not be written as a separate word, but simply as a single dot over
      the ampa. This is demonstrated in the King's Letter in the tengwar
      transcriptions of _i Varanduiniant_, _i Cherdir_ and _i Drann_. The
      transcription of _Lórien i vain_ is:

      j~N7`B5$ r%hD5

      Note that the Sindarin diphthong 'ai' is written as three dots over
      anna in the tehta mode, not as if separate syllables.