Re: Tengwar transcription help

  • i_degilbor
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 23, 2006
      Teithant michelle_wachholz
      > I just uploaded a .jpg file of my attempt at Tengwar (with a
      > downloaded font). I'm wondering if someone more knowledgeable than I
      > would be willing to look it over and tell me how to make it correct.
      > The Quenya phrase I'm attemping to write is:
      >
      > Lindorie, elye ortane si vanesse

      Close. Here is a link to a corrected version:

      http://pic6.picturetrail.com/VOL164/1356691/2756083/134923257.jpg

      Here are the corrections:

      The 'o' in _Lindórie_ should be long. This can be represented either
      as an 'o'-curl over a long carrier or as a double 'o'-curl. I used a
      double 'o'-curl following the example of the calligraphy on the One
      Ring.

      The 'r' in _Lindórie_ should be written with rómen, not óre. The óre
      is used before consonants and at the end of words only. Use rómen
      before vowels.

      The 'n' in _ortane_ and _vanesse_ should be written with númen, not
      noldo. Noldo is used for 'n'<'ñ', which, I think, occurs only
      initially in Quenya.