Ai acárienyes! Tengwanda Cantonea!

  • Benct Philip Jonsson
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 19, 2006
      I'm afraid I have tried my hand on a Tengwar mode
      for Cantonese, in spite of knowing better:

      <http://www.melroch.se/tengwar/canteng.pdf>
      There are .ps and .png versions in the same directory.

      The tone marks are "iconically" selected. One should
      obviously have calculated the frequency of the tones
      and assigned the simplest marks (including no mark)
      to the most frequent tones, but I'm afraid that's
      beyond my abilities.

      Also there is a lot of Beleriandic A's. Perhaps
      one should have used Wilya for the central a-sound
      and Nwalme for the back a-sound...
      --
      /BP 8^)>

      "Maybe" is a strange word. When mum or dad says it
      it means "yes", but when my big brothers say it it
      means "no"!

      (Philip Jonsson jr, age 7)
    • hisilome
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 19, 2006
        --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, Benct Philip Jonsson <melroch@...>
        wrote:

        > I'm afraid I have tried my hand on a Tengwar mode
        > for Cantonese, in spite of knowing better:
        >
        > <http://www.melroch.se/tengwar/canteng.pdf>
        > There are .ps and .png versions in the same directory.
        >
        > The tone marks are "iconically" selected. One should
        > obviously have calculated the frequency of the tones
        > and assigned the simplest marks (including no mark)
        > to the most frequent tones, but I'm afraid that's
        > beyond my abilities.
        >
        > Also there is a lot of Beleriandic A's. Perhaps
        > one should have used Wilya for the central a-sound
        > and Nwalme for the back a-sound...

        [ You did it indeed!

        I'm afraid I'll first have to study a bit more Cantonese before I can
        really comment in any detail, and Eru alone knows when I'll have the
        time for that... :(

        The tonal signs really weren't a problem, then!

        Just one question, though: isn't there an initial _ng_ in Cantonese,
        as in _ngo5_, meaning "I"? Couldn't seem to find it in your chart,
        but maybe I misunderstood something... :) ]

        Hisilome
      • Melroch 'Aestan
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 19, 2006
          hisilome skrev:

          > Just one question, though: isn't there an initial _ng_ in Cantonese,
          > as in _ngo5_, meaning "I"? Couldn't seem to find it in your chart,
          > but maybe I misunderstood something... :) ]

          Yes, but it is Romanized as _q_ because I forgot to search-replace
          it into "eng"... It is written with the tengwa Ngoldo.
          --

          /BP 8^)>
          A h-ammen ledin i phith! \ \