Re: Japanese Mode?

  • hisilome
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 19, 2006
      > On Mar 18, 2006, at 9:00 PM, hisilome wrote:
      >
      > > Other features that would have to be dealt with are the voiced
      > > counterparts of "k, s, t, b" (daku-on)
      >
      > You didn't really mean to include _b_ here, did you? It's already
      > voiced, and written as the voiced counterpart of _h_ (see below).

      [ You're right, of course. Typing too quickly there... What I meant
      was "the voiced counterparts of "k, s, t" = g, z, d, and in addition
      to that: b, as I wrote further down: "The daku-ten used for the daku-
      on sounds ("g, z, d, b") looks a bit like English double quotation
      marks..."

      Even "p" seems not to be a completely "unvoiced" sound in Japanese
      (though I probably pronounce it so, used to the voiced-unvoiced
      dichotomies in most Germanic languages--my "trick" is to say it a
      bit "softer" than, say, the "p" in "pen"), since it's described
      as "semi-voiced" ("handaku-on" translating as something like "half-
      turbid[=voiced]-sound").

      The interesting thing is, since, as I wrote, "b, p" are
      written with the same signs used in the "ha"-series...with the
      daku-ten (for "b" sounds) or a maru (aka handaku-ten) (for "p"
      sounds) added at the top right, this, as you also point out,
      makes "b", at least in writing, the voiced counterpart of "h" in
      Japanese (not of "p"), so we have: k/g, s/z, t/d, h/b--where does
      that leave "p", the "semi-voiced" sound, and how would one fit it
      into the tengwar system?
      Or maybe one shouldn't worry about this, and simply use hyarmen,
      umbar and parma, anyway... ]

      > > and the handaku-on "p". In Japanese writing, "g, z, d" are
      > represented by the same signs used
      > > in the "ta, sa, ta"-series with a diacritic called daku-ten (aka
      > > nigori-ten) added at the top right of the kana,
      >
      > And here you meant "ka, sa, ta", right?

      [ Naturally! Too many typos in this one, sorry. ]

      > > while "b, p" are
      > > written with the same signs used in the "ha"-series (! what's the
      > > relation between a glottal fricative and the bilabials?)
      >
      > Whatever it is, it's a very real relation in Japanese. Just look at
      > _Nihon_ and _Nippon_ as variant pronunciations of the name of
      >Japan.
      > Additionally, initial _h_ often becomes _b_ in compound words, e.g.
      > _hashi_ 'bridge' in the place-name Nihonbashi 'Japan bridge', and
      > _hayashi_ 'forest, grove' in the family-name Kobayashi 'small
      forest'.

      [ Yeah, that sound change's ubiquitous in Japanese, see
      also "combinations" like "ten minutes" jippun, (minute = fun) etc.
      (don't think this is strictly speaking a compound). ]

      > The alternation one normally finds in this environment is voiceless
      > voiced, e.g. _sushi_ in _nigirizushi_.

      [ Now you get my mouth watering. :) ]

      > These seemingly dissimilar sounds can also be found in etymological
      > relationships outside of Japanese. An example that springs to mind
      is Armenian _hayr_ 'father', in which the initial consonant derives
      from Indo-European _*p_.

      [ I guess this is one of the things you can only observe, but not
      necessarily explain then... ]

      > To answer the main question: I've occasionally thought about
      >working
      > out a Japanese mode, but I've never actually bothered to do it. It
      > would be an interesting exercise, though.

      [ Well, if you ever come up with a proposal, let us know! ]

      Hisilome
    • j_mach_wust
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 19, 2006
        Hisilome wrote:
        > The interesting thing is, since, as I wrote, "b, p" are
        > written with the same signs used in the "ha"-series...with the
        > daku-ten (for "b" sounds) or a maru (aka handaku-ten) (for "p"
        > sounds) added at the top right, this, as you also point out,
        > makes "b", at least in writing, the voiced counterpart of "h" in
        > Japanese (not of "p"), so we have: k/g, s/z, t/d, h/b--where does
        > that leave "p", the "semi-voiced" sound, and how would one fit it
        > into the tengwar system?
        > Or maybe one shouldn't worry about this, and simply use hyarmen,
        > umbar and parma, anyway... ]

        That's what I'd say. There is already a relation between the signs for
        /t/ and /d/ if we represent them with tinco and ando. You could
        consider the doubling of the bow a kind of daku-ten (I hope I don't
        mix up things), though I don't see a straightforward representation of
        the relation between /p/, /b/ and /h/.

        Anyway, I think the following two problems are even more important:

        What to do with loanword syllables such as "ti" or "tsi"? If we use
        tinco for all of "ta chi tsu te to", then these are problematic. If we
        use tinco only for "ta ti tu te to", then the natural sound system of
        Japanese is broken.

        How to represent the Japanese pitch accent (if at all)?

      • Melroch 'Aestan
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 19, 2006
          j_mach_wust skrev:
          > Hisilome wrote:
          >
          >>The interesting thing is, since, as I wrote, "b, p" are
          >>written with the same signs used in the "ha"-series...with the
          >>daku-ten (for "b" sounds) or a maru (aka handaku-ten) (for "p"
          >>sounds) added at the top right, this, as you also point out,
          >>makes "b", at least in writing, the voiced counterpart of "h" in
          >>Japanese (not of "p"), so we have: k/g, s/z, t/d, h/b--where does
          >>that leave "p", the "semi-voiced" sound, and how would one fit it
          >>into the tengwar system?
          >>Or maybe one shouldn't worry about this, and simply use hyarmen,
          >>umbar and parma, anyway... ]

          > That's what I'd say. There is already a relation between the signs for
          > /t/ and /d/ if we represent them with tinco and ando. You could
          > consider the doubling of the bow a kind of daku-ten (I hope I don't

          I agree. No need to mess up the principles of Tengwar where
          they are analogous, just because they are not identical.

          > mix up things), though I don't see a straightforward representation of
          > the relation between /p/, /b/ and /h/.

          Historically _h_ is derived from *f (actually *[p\])
          which in turn is derived from *p rather than the other
          way around, so the most straightforward way would be to
          use Formen for _f_ -- with w-tehta as a diacritic when
          _f_ occurs before vowels other than _u_ and under-dot when _h_
          occurs before _u_. C.f. _huzi/fuji_ which is said to be
          cognate to Korean _phulson_!

          > Anyway, I think the following two problems are even more important:
          >
          > What to do with loanword syllables such as "ti" or "tsi"? If we use
          > tinco for all of "ta chi tsu te to", then these are problematic. If we
          > use tinco only for "ta ti tu te to", then the natural sound system of
          > Japanese is broken.

          I suggest using the underdot as a general diacritic for
          "foreign" pronunciation, thus having an underdot on _ti_
          to distinguish it from _chi_. The Calmatéma should of
          course not be used at all...

          > How to represent the Japanese pitch accent (if at all)?

          Well, since the Japanese, as well as common Romanization,
          usually don't indicate it it should probably be dispensed
          with. Imagine having to look up every word in a pronunciation
          dictionary in order to write something in Tengwar! I've actually
          done that in the course of writing English phonemically...

          --

          /BP 8^)>
          A h-ammen ledin i phith! \ \
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 19, 2006
            --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, "j_mach_wust" <j_mach_wust@...>
            wrote:

            > Hisilome wrote:

            >...We have: k/g, s/z, t/d, h/b--where does
            > > that leave "p", the "semi-voiced" sound, and how would one fit
            >it into the tengwar system?
            > > Or maybe one shouldn't worry about this, and simply use hyarmen,
            > > umbar and parma, anyway... ]
            >
            > That's what I'd say. There is already a relation between the signs
            >for /t/ and /d/ if we represent them with tinco and ando. You could
            > consider the doubling of the bow a kind of daku-ten (I hope I don't
            > mix up things), though I don't see a straightforward
            >representation of the relation between /p/, /b/ and /h/.

            [ Yes, for t/d and k/g, things would be quite "neat".
            So maybe:

            k = quesse
            g = ungwe
            s = silme (?)
            z = aaze (?)
            t = tinco
            d = ando
            n = nuumen
            h = hyarmen
            p = parma
            b = umbar
            m = nuumen
            y = anna (?)
            r = roomen (Japanese "r" is really a flap I think [akin to
            Spanish "r"], at the same time bearing some similarity to the
            English "l" [though the latter is of course a continuant]), so
            roomen should be better than oore I guess)
            w = vala (basically like English "w", yet a bit "softer" I'd say)

            For palatalization, one could probably use the double under-dots
            (like in Quenya or Mandarin). Japanese here, quite befittingly, uses
            the "Consonant + i" kana from the series in question, followed by a
            half-sized "ya", "yu", or "yo" kana, e.g. "mya" = "mi" + "small "ya".

            For doubled consonants (soku-on, represented in Romanization by
            doubling the letter), the under-bar. (Interestingly, Japanese kana
            script here inserts a half-sized "tsu" kana before the sound in
            question.) ]

            > Anyway, I think the following two problems are even more important:
            >
            > What to do with loanword syllables such as "ti" or "tsi"? If we use
            > tinco for all of "ta chi tsu te to", then these are problematic.
            >If we use tinco only for "ta ti tu te to", then the natural sound
            >system of Japanese is broken.

            [ Well, I was actually focussing on the "traditional" sound system
            first. ;) But you're already thinking ahead, and I agree
            that "imported" sounds are potentially quite troublesome.

            I'm not so sure about "shi/si", "chi/ti", "tsu/tu": as you say, if
            we write, say, "ta chi tsu te to", as "tinco plus A, I, U, E, O"
            respectively (regardless of the fact that "ti, tu" are really "chi,
            tsu"--did I understand correctly that that's what you were thinking
            about?), then some loanwords (and there many of them in Japanase)
            might be problematic.
            I'm not even certain whether this would be a good solution, though.
            In a phonemic mode, at least, shouldn't one represent the actual
            sounds of "chi, tsu", as is even reflected in Romanized versions of
            Japanese. Same for "shi".

            Then there are also sounds like "ji/zi, ja/zya, ju/zyu, jo/zyo", in
            kana spelt as "shi/si kana and daku-ten" (for ji/zi), and "shi/si
            kana and daku-ten + half-sized ya/yu/yo", respectively. All very
            neat in kana, but how would one represent this in tengwar? If, for
            arguments sake, we use the consonant chart I outlined above, would
            we spell these sounds with aaze? Hm, sounds feasible...?

            Analogically for "sha, shu, sho, cha, chu, cho" spelled as "sya,
            syu, syo, tya, tyu, tyo"...? ]

            > How to represent the Japanese pitch accent (if at all)?

            [ This I don't consider to be a problem. First of all, Japanese
            pitch, while essential to speaking "natural-sounding", fluent
            Japanese, is by no means as important as, say, the tones in Chinese.
            I mean, Japanese also has a fair amount of homophones, to be sure,
            and pitch can often help to discern them. Still I have found that
            even when one messes up the "word melody" quite a bit, one is
            usually understood (provided one gets the grammar and vocabulary
            right, that is!)--whereas Chinese mostly tends to become quite
            unintelligible, or at least very hard to understand, if you
            consistently get the tones wrong (and Cantonese or "Fukienese" are
            even "worse" in this respect than Mandarin). I also find that in
            Japanese the "melody" of the entire sentence is often more important
            than the pitch of individual words, though to some degree they are
            of course connected.

            Another thing is that existing transcription systems for Japanese,
            such as the the hebonshiki roomaji or the kunreishiki roomaji, don't
            bother to reflect pitch, either--which is probably also testimony to
            the fact that pitch is not quite as crucial as the tones are in
            Chinese (all transcription systems of Chinese, or its dialects, have
            some way of indicating the tones). ]

            Hisilome
          • Arden R. Smith
            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 19, 2006
              On Mar 19, 2006, at 2:15 AM, hisilome wrote:

              >> Whatever it is, it's a very real relation in Japanese. Just look at
              >> _Nihon_ and _Nippon_ as variant pronunciations of the name of
              >> Japan.
              >> Additionally, initial _h_ often becomes _b_ in compound words, e.g.
              >> _hashi_ 'bridge' in the place-name Nihonbashi 'Japan bridge', and
              >> _hayashi_ 'forest, grove' in the family-name Kobayashi 'small
              > forest'.
              >
              > [ Yeah, that sound change's ubiquitous in Japanese, see
              > also "combinations" like "ten minutes" jippun, (minute = fun) etc.
              > (don't think this is strictly speaking a compound). ]

              I thought of an even better example after I had turned off the computer
              and gone to bed last night, at the beginning of the series of numbers
              for counting long, thin objects: _ippon_, _nihon_, _sanbon_ (or
              _sambon_, depending on your preferred Romanization). There you get all
              three right in a row -- bam! bam! bam!

              I'm afraid that I won't have the time to participate as fully as I
              would like in the present discussion. Right now I'm trying to finish
              up a bunch of things in preparation for a trip (coincidentally enough)
              to Japan. But I do personally favor the option of using the same
              tengwa to represent the same kana series, in a fashion similar to
              kunreishiki rômaji (e.g., ta, ti, tu, te, to), even though it doesn't
              capture the phonetic realizations reflected in Hepburn rômaji (ta, chi,
              tsu, te, to). I just really like the systematicity of it.

              Benct's suggestions re f/h are interesting; I'll have to give them some
              thought.

              As for /s/ and /z/, I would go with thúle and anto; there's no need to
              resort to the additional letters if there are perfectly good primary
              letters lying fallow. I would use óre for /r/ for the same reason.

              While númen would be good for /nV/ combinations, I'm not too keen on
              the idea of also using it for the moraic /n/ (or whatever you want to
              call it). For that, the preceding-nasal tehta would work just fine
              preconsonantally, but I'm still undecided about how to deal with it in
              final position, maybe by means of a tehta. My thinking here is
              undoubtedly colored by the treatment of final /n/ in Qenya alphabets
              from the 1920s; see e.g. _Parma Eldalamberon_ 14, p. 110. Another
              possibility would be to use óre for final /n/, which would in turn
              necessitate the use of rómen for /r/. Or maybe númen for final /n/
              wouldn't be a bad thing after all, especially if it had a _putta_
              (_unutikse_). See what I mean by "undecided"?

              Arden R. Smith erilaz@...

              Perilme metto aimaktur perperienta.
              --Elvish proverb

            • hisilome
              Message 6 of 9 , Mar 19, 2006
                --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, Melroch 'Aestan <melroch@...> wrote:

                > Historically _h_ is derived from *f (actually *[p\])
                > which in turn is derived from *p rather than the other
                > way around, so the most straightforward way would be to
                > use Formen for _f_ -- with w-tehta as a diacritic when
                > _f_ occurs before vowels other than _u_ and under-dot when _h_
                > occurs before _u_. C.f. _huzi/fuji_ which is said to be
                > cognate to Korean _phulson_!

                [ That certainly makes sense: "hu", at least, is often represented
                as "fu" in Romanization (and sounds a lot like it, too--it's actually
                quite hard to pronounce "hu" without turning it into "fu", since for
                the "u" you have to purse the lips so much, and then "h" almost
                automatically assumes an "f"-like quality).
                And the "connection" between "h" and "f" also becomes obvious in
                other environments, for example when native speakers of Minnanyu
                don't discern them clearly when speaking Mandarin, pronouncing
                e.g. "hen" as "fen", etc. ]

                J. 'Mach' Wust wrote:
                > > Anyway, I think the following two problems are even more
                >important:
                > > What to do with loanword syllables such as "ti" or "tsi"? If we
                >use tinco for all of "ta chi tsu te to", then these are problematic.
                >If we use tinco only for "ta ti tu te to", then the natural sound
                >system of Japanese is broken.

                Melroch replied:
                > I suggest using the underdot as a general diacritic for
                > "foreign" pronunciation, thus having an underdot on _ti_
                > to distinguish it from _chi_. The Calmatéma should of
                > course not be used at all...

                [ That's an interesting suggestion, and quite feasible if we don't
                assign the under-dot to any other function. The under-dot would then
                be used in lieu of an entire separate kana alphabet (the
                katakana) which the Japanese employ to make foreign words "stick out"
                in writing... ]

                Hisilome
              • hisilome
                Message 7 of 9 , Mar 19, 2006
                  --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, Arden R. Smith <erilaz@...> wrote:

                  > As for /s/ and /z/, I would go with thúle and anto; there's no need
                  >to resort to the additional letters if there are perfectly good
                  >primary letters lying fallow. I would use óre for /r/ for the same
                  >reason.

                  [ Fair enough! ]

                  > While númen would be good for /nV/ combinations, I'm not too keen
                  on the idea of also using it for the moraic /n/ (or whatever you
                  want to call it). For that, the preceding-nasal tehta would work
                  just fine preconsonantally, but I'm still undecided about how to deal
                  with it in final position, maybe by means of a tehta. My thinking
                  here is undoubtedly colored by the treatment of final /n/ in Qenya
                  alphabets from the 1920s; see e.g. _Parma Eldalamberon_ 14, p. 110.
                  Another possibility would be to use óre for final /n/, which would in
                  turn necessitate the use of rómen for /r/.
                  Or maybe númen for final /n/ wouldn't be a bad thing after all,
                  especially if it had a _putta_ (_unutikse_).

                  [ Maybe I'd go for that: using the over-bar/tilde for
                  preconsonantal /n/, and nuumen, even without a _putta_, for
                  final /n/. After all, it is basically the same sound as initial /n/,
                  just in a different position/function.

                  Then again, Japanese has an independent kana for moraic /n/--I seem
                  to recall that it was a relatively late addition to the syllable
                  alphabets (I think the syllable-final sound only developed after the
                  original kana charts were drawn up). This might speak for the
                  solution with oore, maybe both preconsonantally and word-final? ]

                  Hisilome