Hi, i need some help

  • mash_mjlord
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 15, 2006
      Hi, i'm working on an elvish phrase for a tattoo, but can't seem to
      find the quenya word for "must" or "has to" (or anything equivalent)
      anywhere. i was wondering if you could help.

      thank you
    • j_mach_wust
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 16, 2006
        Hi. If you're looking for translations, you better ask at the elfling
        list, since this list's interest is how to spell things in Tolkien's
        scripts, not how to say things in his languages.

        That's the link:

        That's their faq:
        http://nellardo.com/lang/elf/faq.html

        ---
        g_0ry@_^s:
        j. 'mach' wust

        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 17, 2006
          > Hi, i'm working on an elvish phrase for a tattoo, but can't seem to find
          the quenya word for "must" or "has to" (or anything equivalent) anywhere.
          i was wondering if you could help.

          This is really a question for Elfling, but... The verb _mauya-_ "compel"
          provides a possible solution, if treated as an impersonal verb connecting
          with a noun or pronoun in dative. E.g. _Mauya nin lelya_ = "(it) compels
          for me to go" = "I must go".

          - HKF
        • mash_mjlord
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 3 9:53 AM
            <helge.fauskanger@...> wrote:

            > > Hi, i'm working on an elvish phrase for a tattoo, but can't seem
            to find
            > the quenya word for "must" or "has to" (or anything equivalent)
            anywhere.
            > i was wondering if you could help.
            >
            > This is really a question for Elfling, but... The verb _mauya-_ "compel"
            > provides a possible solution, if treated as an impersonal verb
            connecting
            > with a noun or pronoun in dative. E.g. _Mauya nin lelya_ = "(it) compels
            > for me to go" = "I must go".
            >
            > - HKF

            THANK YOU!!
            mj :)