Unnoticed Tengwar autograph?

  • Florian Dombach
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 23, 2006
      Hello,

      By accident I was just aware of the website of the Williams College,
      Massachusetts, where Professor Allan White published a photograph of a
      letter that Tolkien sent him in July 1964. The rather short and
      unspectacular letter is signed "J.R.R. Tolkien" both in Latin and
      Tengwar letters. I had never seen or heard about this document and
      believe it has not yet been included into the DTS either.

      http://www.williams.edu/philosophy/faculty/awhite/Enigma%20Library/Tolkien%20letter%2010%20quality.jpg

      Regards,
      Florian Dombach
    • j_mach_wust
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 23, 2006
        Florian Dombach wrote:
        > By accident I was just aware of the website of the Williams College,
        > Massachusetts, where Professor Allan White published a photograph of
        > a letter that Tolkien sent him in July 1964. The rather short and
        > unspectacular letter is signed "J.R.R. Tolkien" both in Latin and
        > Tengwar letters. I had never seen or heard about this document and
        > believe it has not yet been included into the DTS either.

        http://www.williams.edu/philosophy/faculty/awhite/Enigma%20Library/Tolkien%20letter%2010%20quality.jpg

        I wouldn't call this "unspectacular": Never before have we seen an
        orthographic English mode where the tehtar are placed above the
        preceding letters, and not the following letters (I hope I'm not too
        mistaken...) -- this is another evidence that in the 'general use',
        the tengwar-tehtar order is variable.

        And thank you so much for pointing this out!

        kry@_^s:
        j. 'mach' wust
      • gildir_2
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 1 11:36 AM
          > Florian Dombach wrote:

          > http://www.williams.edu/philosophy/faculty/awhite/Enigma%
          20Library/Tolkien%20letter%2010%20quality.jpg

          This specimen is recently added to the DTS.

          Suilaid o Mellonath Daeron,
          Gildir, Per Lindberg