Re: Pronunciation differences that should (not) be represented

  • hisilome
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 20, 2006
      --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, "j_mach_wust" <j_mach_wust@...> wrote:

      > The difference between pronunciation variation of the vowel of "bite"
      > and the vowel of "either" is that in the case of "bite", I guess
      > virtually all English speakers would agree that the word "bite"
      > belongs to the category of words with the TIE vowel, even though their
      > actual pronunciations of that vowel may differ a lot. In the case of
      > "either", however, some would say it belongs to the category of words
      > with the TIE vowel, but others would say it belongs to the category of
      > words with the TREE vowel.
      >
      > kry@s:
      > j. 'mach' wust

      [I see. So basically, the two categories we're dealing with here are
      regional variations from a generally acknowledged standard (as in the
      case of _bite_), and what one might describe as two different standards
      altogether (_either, can't_).

      I still think the line may not always be easy to draw, but as a rough
      guideline it makes sense.

      Thanks!]

      Hisilome