Chinese (Mandarin) Mode: On "iu, ui" and "yo"

  • hisilome
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 19, 2006
      A few more points on the Chinese Mode (and this should hopefully be
      all...at least for now :)).

      1) About the question I posted on Feb 17. I think I've realised the
      answer (going over past discussions): In the diphthongs "iu" and "ui"
      I'd say the first element is the "dominant" one, and therefore it makes
      sense that both the "i" in "iu" and the "u" in "ui" should be
      represented by a tehta, and the second elements accordingly by uure and
      yanta, respectively.
      Again, this is sort of a concession to "phonetic" concepts, and from a
      strictly orthographic point of view, one might still consider spellings
      with double dot below and U-tehta on top/modified left-curl and I-tehta
      on top to be valid alternatives.
      I will stick with the I-tehta on uure/U-tehta on yanta spellings,
      though (just as I'd prefer the short carrier spellings for yi, yin,
      ying, as described in my last mail).

      2) One very small "clarification" on J. 'Mach' Wust's excellent
      proposal (something I think I failed to mention earlier): "io" does not
      occur after consonants, but only "on its own" (i.e. constituting a
      syllable), and then it's spelled "yo" in Pinyin. It's exceedingly rare
      (standard dictionaries usually list only one character for this sound,
      and even most larger ones a maximum of two or three, all of them being
      Since it begins with "y", "yo" is spelled vilya with O-tehta on top
      (spelling with two under-dots and O-tehta doesn't occur at all in

      This is in contrast to sounds like "ai, ao, ou" which all occur both on
      their own (constituting a syllable) and after consonants (e.g. "tai,
      mao, gou" etc.)--in _both_ cases, they are spelled with A-tehta on top
      of yanta, A-tehta on top of uure, O-tehta on top of uure, respectively.

      As for "ua, uo": These are the spellings these sounds have in Pinyin
      after consonants (e.g. "hua, suo"), and then they are spelled with
      modified left-curl and A-tehta on top/modified left-curl and O-tehta on
      top. When these two sounds constitute a syllable, however, they are
      spelled "wa, wo" in Pinyin, and the corresponding tengwar-spellings are
      A-tehta on top of vala/U-tehta on top of vala.

      3) Last, a truly minor point: I'd suggest that where two under-dots are
      required in combination with lambe (as in "lia, lian, liang, liao,
      lie"), placing the double dot inside instead of under lambe should be a
      valid alternative, since a) Tolkien also did this, e.g. in his Namaarie
      calligraphy, and b) I find it aesthetically more pleasing. :)