Chinese (Mandarin) Mode

  • hisilome
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 17, 2006
      A little addition to yesterday's post:

      Unrelated to yesterday's question, I'd maintain that

      I-tehta on top of short carrier for "yi"
      I-tehta on top of short carrier + nuumen for "yin"
      I-tehta on top of short carrier + nwalme for "ying"

      should be valid _alternatives_ for the strictly orthographic spellings

      vilya with I-tehta on top (yi)
      vilya with I-tehta on top + nuumen (yin)
      vilya with I-tehta on top + nwalme (ying)

      The forms with I-tehta on short carrier would represent phonetic
      elements within the largely orthographic spelling, but I think they
      would be a reasonable alternative if one wishes to reflect the fact
      that in the three syllables in question, the initial "y" does not
      really indicate palatalization (at least no additional degree of it
      apart from the per se palatal quality of the vowel "i"), which it
      does in all other syllables beginning with "y" (ya, yan, yang, yao,
      ye, yo, yong, you, yu, yuan, yue, yun--in the last four,
      palatalization turns the regular "u" into a German umlaut "ΓΌ" or
      Sindarin "y" ["yue", for example, would thus be spelt vilya with E-
      tehta and modified left-curl on top, and "yun" with vilya with U-
      tehta on top + nuumen]).

      Hisilome