FONTS!!!!

  • funnywopp
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 10, 2006
      Hello everyone. You may not remember me. Several months ago I was
      working on a translation for a poem that I wanted tatooed on me.
      Everything went fine. All that I had left to do was use my microsoft
      word and a Quenya font and transcribe.
      However my job, my health, my wifes job and health,
      family...LIFE...got in the way. So I'm finally able to get back to
      it.
      Here is my problem. I have what I want translated. I have
      downloadeda font. I have TWO different transcribers. One on a
      website one downloaded. However the two transcribers give me
      different characters for the same word I enter into both. I'm pretty
      sure i'm using the same font. I got to transcribers to doulbe check
      my work. The last thing in the world I want is gibberish in elvish
      tattooed on my back. I DO NOT have the time to learn the correct
      keyboard key's in corespondance to the elvish character. Could
      someone please recomend a trustworth and reliable font and transcriber.
      This is the site I used
      http://www.tengwar.art.pl/tengwar/ott/start.php?l=en
      And the program I downloaded is called tengscribe the font I dowloaded
      was Tenqwar Quenya. I don't remember where I got the font. Like I
      said it was six to eight months ago.
      Any help would be greatly appreciated
      Mark
    • Måns Björkman
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 12, 2006
        Hello Mark,

        Yes, both your transcribers are fairly reliable. In fact, they use the
        same "transcription files", so that they produce different results is
        slightly odd. Are you sure you selected the same mode in both
        transcribers?

        If you publish your Quenya poem, and the Tengwar transcriptions, on
        this list, I'm sure people will be more than happy to tell you what is
        wrong (and what is right).

        Yours,
        Måns

        --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, "funnywopp" <funnywopp@...> wrote:

        > Hello everyone. You may not remember me. Several months ago I was
        > working on a translation for a poem that I wanted tatooed on me.
        > Everything went fine. All that I had left to do was use my microsoft
        > word and a Quenya font and transcribe.
        > However my job, my health, my wifes job and health,
        > family...LIFE...got in the way. So I'm finally able to get back to
        > it.
        > Here is my problem. I have what I want translated. I have
        > downloadeda font. I have TWO different transcribers. One on a
        > website one downloaded. However the two transcribers give me
        > different characters for the same word I enter into both. I'm pretty
        > sure i'm using the same font. I got to transcribers to doulbe check
        > my work. The last thing in the world I want is gibberish in elvish
        > tattooed on my back. I DO NOT have the time to learn the correct
        > keyboard key's in corespondance to the elvish character. Could
        > someone please recomend a trustworth and reliable font and transcriber.
        > This is the site I used
        > http://www.tengwar.art.pl/tengwar/ott/start.php?l=en
        > And the program I downloaded is called tengscribe the font I dowloaded
        > was Tenqwar Quenya. I don't remember where I got the font. Like I
        > said it was six to eight months ago.
        > Any help would be greatly appreciated
        > Mark

      • funnywopp
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 13, 2006
          THANKS FOR THE REPLY. And I'm sorry for the extra LONG posting.
          Any help is appreciated. And now for the posting....

          Chalk it up to me being a bone head. I realized yesterday that I
          had one on Sindarin and one on Quenya. I have several things I'm
          getting tatooed on me. One is my wifes name Lesley. Now i"m not
          getting Salquendor (meadow) because that's what Lesley means. I
          don't think people call her Lesley with the word "meadow" in the
          back of their mind. So using the online transcriber I entered Lesley
          in english and come out in tenqwar quenya got this jiRjl.

          Entering in quenya and having quenya come out I got his for a poem I
          had translated. Also is the original poemand tranlsation. PLEASE
          DON'T DEBATE THE TRANSLATION. That when on in Elfling for some
          time. And this is the one I liked the best. The poem is the first
          paragraph of Robbie burns poem and is the first known use of Lesley
          (spelled Leslie for the poem) as a first name.

          There area few other words that I want tatooed on me. But with the
          dictionary I downloaded and the transcribers I'll be fine. There
          just solitary words no sentances. I'm pretty sure I got how to use
          the transcribers, now. But I realized that you, Måns, are the person
          who developed them. I am honoured that you replied my posting.
          Thank you very much and my wife thanks you. She doesn't want her
          husband to have gibberish tatooed on his body.

          To see her is to love her,
          And love but her forever:
          For nature made her what she is,
          And never made another!

          Tranlation
          Cenitas imya ve melitas
          seeing-her [is] same as loving-her

          Ar mele er erye tennoio
          and to love only her forever

          An Ea acáries yenna narye
          for the World has-made-her into-that she-is

          Ar ullume carne enta
          And never made another

          *yenna: cf. yenna "to which" VT47:2

          aR5%1E8 `BtÌ# yR t$jT1E8

          `C6 t$jR `V6 `V7ÍR 1R5"lY`N

          `C5 `V`C `Ca~C7T`V8 hÍR5"# 5#7ÍR

          `C6 `Mj¸Ut$ aE65$ `V4#

        • Måns Björkman
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 14, 2006
            Mark,

            The Quenya transcription is 100% correct, as far as I can judge. I
            would however recommend spelling "Lesley" either jiRj`V`Û or jiRj`B
            (the former spelling is orthographic, the latter is phonemic; see
            http://at.mansbjorkman.net/teng_general_english.htm for a more
            detailed explanation of this). Back when I wrote the rules for the
            "English mode" used in the TengScribe, I hadn't studied the actual
            samples as meticulously as I have since.

          • funnywopp
            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 16, 2006
              Thank you very much you have been a great help. I am going to go with
              the phonetic spelling. Do you have any suggestions on where to
              purchase or download a reliable quenya-english Dictionary?
              Also my wife thanks you too. She wanted to make sure I
              speciffically said that.
              mark
            • Måns Björkman
              Message 6 of 6 , Feb 16, 2006
                --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, "funnywopp" <funnywopp@...> wrote:

                > Thank you very much you have been a great help. I am going to go with
                > the phonetic spelling. Do you have any suggestions on where to
                > purchase or download a reliable quenya-english Dictionary?
                > Also my wife thanks you too. She wanted to make sure I
                > speciffically said that.
                > mark

                You're both welcome. As for reliable wordlists, I can only recommend
                those found on Ardalambion:

                http://www.uib.no/people/hnohf/wordlists.htm

                I think no-one will dispute that these wordlists are the most
                extensive and reliable that are publicly available.

                Yours,
                Måns