Tattoo Question

  • Linda Tierney
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 5, 2006
      Hello, I am new here and new to the world of Tolkien. I am interesed in
      getting the numeral 9 as a tattoo like the actors in LOTR, does anyone
      know what it looks like? I have a "Guide to MiddleEarth" book and there
      was no illustration of it.

      Thanks
    • Palatinus
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 5, 2006
        > Hello, I am new here and new to the world of
        > Tolkien. I am interesed in
        > getting the numeral 9 as a tattoo like the actors in
        > LOTR, does anyone
        > know what it looks like? I have a "Guide to
        > MiddleEarth" book and there
        > was no illustration of it.

        Look for 'tengwar numerals' in google.

        Here is an example
        http://www.geocities.com/TimesSquare/4948/tengwar/numbers.htm

        I don't think they look well in that page, but
        looking, I hope you will find better displays. Tell us
        if you happen to find any contradicting information

        Χρησιμοποιείτε Yahoo!;
      • R.M. Whelton
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 6, 2006
          Linda Tierney wrote:

          > Hello, I am new here and new to the world of Tolkien. I am interesed in
          > getting the numeral 9 as a tattoo like the actors in LOTR, does anyone
          > know what it looks like? I have a "Guide to MiddleEarth" book and there
          > was no illustration of it.
          >
          > Thanks

          Hi,

          There's a picture of Dominic Monaghan's here:
          http://www.tattoos-by-design.co.uk/celebrities/cttattoo.asp?celeb_id=108&tattoo=459

          It looks like numen with overdot, numen with underdot to me.

          Robin

          --

          "Life is like a sewer: what you get out of it
          depends on what you put into it."

          The Witching Well: http://witchingwell.com/
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 6, 2006

            Robin wrote in his reply:
            > Hi,
            >
            > There's a picture of Dominic Monaghan's here:
            > http://www.tattoos-by-design.co.uk/celebrities/cttattoo.asp?
            celeb_id=108&tattoo=459

            > It looks like numen with overdot, numen with underdot to me.
            >
            > Robin

            I would be most interested to know who had designed/proposed the
            Tengwar that has been tattoed ... Shouldn't it perchance be númen -
            númen with an underdot and an overdot? This picture reads 'inne', huh?

            cal
          • Rjtno1@aol.com
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 6, 2006
              In a message dated 1/6/2006 7:36:49 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
              calwen.rudh@... writes:

              http://www.tattoos-by-design.co.uk/celebrities/cttattoo.asp?
              celeb_id=108&tattoo=459

              Hi Robin, thanks a lot!

            • Palatinus
              Message 6 of 7 , Jan 6, 2006
                > There's a picture of Dominic Monaghan's here:

                http://www.tattoos-by-design.co.uk/celebrities/cttattoo.asp?celeb_id=108&tattoo=459

                > It looks like numen with overdot, numen with
                > underdot to me.

                it's supposed to read 'nine' in english

                strange, I think some had the numeral, not the word 'nine'.

                Χρησιμοποιείτε Yahoo!;
                Message 7 of 7 , Jan 9, 2006
                  --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, Palatinus <elfiness@y...> wrote:

                  > > There's a picture of Dominic Monaghan's here:
                  > >
                  > http://www.tattoos-by-design.co.uk/celebrities/cttattoo.asp?
                  celeb_id=108&tattoo=459

                  > > It looks like numen with overdot, numen with
                  > > underdot to me.
                  >
                  > it's supposed to read 'nine' in english
                  >
                  > strange, I think some had the numeral, not the word 'nine'.

                  So it looks okay to you - the transcription?!?!?!?!