Re: help required with another tattoo!!!

  • worldofbob2001
    Message 1 of 20 , Jan 3, 2006
      Sorry for posting so many time. Espeacially if you get these in your
      email!!!

      Jut though I'd exlpain a little further the meaning behind the phrase
      i choose. although it may bore most i belive that phrases such as this
      are pointless without true meaning behind them and tattoos are even
      more pointless if they don't have some meaning to the person that have
      them.

      "i will rise up above the flames and be a victim no longer"

      Basically I have been through a hard time over the last 7 months. It
      all started wieith splitting my girlfrnd of 6 years and i went of the
      rails a little, lost my job and had to return home to Ireland (i was
      living in wales). This was when I decided to get my first tattoos
      before I left wales. One was of a 8 point compass like design on my
      right forearm. this was to represnt the choices now ahead of me and is
      in a position that I am always reminded of the fact that you are never
      without choice. The second was the aforementioned dragon. I always
      meant for it to be surrounded by flame at some point but couldn't work
      out a good way to terminate the flame above my elbow so it wasn;t just
      appearing from nowhere. This is when I thought that maybe a tribal
      band would be a good choice but was relucent because, lets face it,
      everyone has one.

      Then while watching fellowship one day I noticed how beautifully
      suited to a band the script inside the ring was. This is when I though
      of the phrase to represent a defiance I have now aquired to stop
      felling sorry for myself in any situation. So as you can see the
      phrase sums things up quite well and as I hope you'll agree looks
      beautiful in script.

      Robert
    • balroghead
      Message 2 of 20 , Jan 3, 2006
        I think its great to see a kindred spirit tattoo enthusiast. As you
        may have seen I posted my own questions just before yours. Not
        really sure why I didn't get any answers :) ... but anyway, maybe it
        was my uncertainty.

        That being said. I myself am going for "the crowned and dark one"
        OR "the crowned dark one" ... sounds evil right? Except it's the
        meanings of mine and my wife's name. I also decided to have it in
        Quenya written in Tengwar.

        I *think* I have it right when I say :
        i rína ar morna quén
        or
        i rína morna quén ( without the "THE" ).

        Of course, I could be TOTALLY wrong.
        Also, I'm not sure about the transcription tool I'm using, but I
        think this is how you would print it:

        <a
        href="http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v432/xipetotec1/tengpic.jpg">
        My Tengwar Translation? </a>

        --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, "worldofbob2001"

        Message 3 of 20 , Jan 4, 2006
          --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, "balroghead" wrote:

          > I also decided to have it in Quenya written in Tengwar.

          That's the reason why you haven't yet received your answer. Since
          Robert wants just a transcription because he's used an English
          sentence, it was much easier and "quicker" to answer him first. This
          group concerns writing systems, many of its members have no (or very
          small) knowledge of Professor's languages (I myself have a very
          little knowledge of Quenya). That's why I'm actually not able to help
          back concerning the Quenya (translation from English -> Quenya) and
          that means that the transcription itself might be in principle
          incorrect in case the translation is incorrect. Do you get my
          point? :)

          > I *think* I have it right when I say :
          > i rína ar morna quén
          > or
          > i rína morna quén ( without the "THE" ).

          Well, I'm not much familiar with Quenya but I still can see the
          definite article THE in the lattest sentence (_i_) but it lacks the
          conjuction AND (_ar_). It may be just a slip from your part, huh? :)
          On the other hand, Tolkien gives us _Moriquendi_ as 'The Dark Elves',
          literally 'The Dark Ones' and if one supposes to make a singular of
          this, which would in English yield 'The Dark One', it would BMVHO be
          *_moriquen_ in Quenya. Concerning the translation, I would rather
          recommend to contact the Elfling group:

          > Of course, I could be TOTALLY wrong.
          > Also, I'm not sure about the transcription tool I'm using, but I
          > think this is how you would print it:

          > http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v432/xipetotec1/tengpic.jpg

          Well, here I can give my two cents...

          If you're transcribing a Quenya sentence then you have to use
          Quenya "mode" on the tengscriber. Well, I think there is no need to
          glut you with information about how the Tengwar works, so here are
          the "codes" you can copy & paste into your word editor and change the
          font to a Tengwar font:

          5^,F 'family' _nosse_
          `B 7~B5# `C6 t^65# z~V5 'the crowned and dark one' _i rína ar morna
          quén_ (for omitting the AND _ar_, just withdraw the `C6).

          But since I am not sure about the Quenya sentence I'd rather
          recommend to wait for some Elfling help.

          cal
          Message 4 of 20 , Jan 4, 2006
            <worldofbob2001@y...> wrote:
            >> `B yj%° 78%Ê qJ w#r^È @ ejt#È+ 2{ w`V `C rzG1t% 5`N jx^{6R
            >> and
            >> `B yj%° 78%Ê qJ w#r^È @ ejt#È+ 2È{ w`V `C
            >> rzG1t% 5`N jx^{È6
            >
            > Are both these transcriptions basically correct for the text?

            No, the first one is not transcribed correctly, unlike the latter one.

            I'll try to draw a difference between those two by English:

            The first one reads: "I will rize up above the flames and be a victim
            no longair." (it is not literally so with the word "longair" but
            approximately designed for this purpose of distinction), and the
            second one reads: "I will rise up above the flames and be a victim no
            longer." So, I think there is no hard decision to make...

            Lucy

            One more thing: the transcriber makes obvious mistakes that we who
            are more familiar with Tengwar can quite easily find and since we are
            using our brain cells (:]) we are able to deduce what is the
            transcription supposed to say... so it is not like that the
            transcriber didn't do many errors, rather on the contrary.
          • Stephane Morrell
            Message 5 of 20 , Jan 4, 2006
              That’s great. I will definitely check into that group and report back here
              for proper transcriptions if the sentence should be different. I wouldn’t
              have it any other way as you guys seem to really be knowledgeable when it
              comes to Tengwar.

              I’m sorry if I came off a bit rude before about the non-response, it wasn’t
              my intention. I can completely understand the faster response to the easier
              question ( heck, I end up doing this in my day-to-day work ).

              Thanks again for the codes! I checked them against my original transcription
              that I obtained from the transcriber and the last one I had (using Quenya
              mode ) did indeed match ( what a relief :-) ) …

              _____

              > I also decided to have it in Quenya written in Tengwar.

              That's the reason why you haven't yet received your answer. Since
              Robert wants just a transcription because he's used an English
              sentence, it was much easier and "quicker" to answer him first. This
              group concerns writing systems, many of its members have no (or very
              small) knowledge of Professor's languages (I myself have a very
              little knowledge of Quenya). That's why I'm actually not able to help
              back concerning the Quenya (translation from English -> Quenya) and
              that means that the transcription itself might be in principle
              incorrect in case the translation is incorrect. Do you get my
              point? :)

              > I *think* I have it right when I say :
              > i rína ar morna quén
              > or
              > i rína morna quén ( without the "THE" ).

              Well, I'm not much familiar with Quenya but I still can see the
              definite article THE in the lattest sentence (_i_) but it lacks the
              conjuction AND (_ar_). It may be just a slip from your part, huh? :)
              On the other hand, Tolkien gives us _Moriquendi_ as 'The Dark Elves',
              literally 'The Dark Ones' and if one supposes to make a singular of
              this, which would in English yield 'The Dark One', it would BMVHO be
              *_moriquen_ in Quenya. Concerning the translation, I would rather
              recommend to contact the Elfling group:

              > Of course, I could be TOTALLY wrong.
              > Also, I'm not sure about the transcription tool I'm using, but I
              > think this is how you would print it:

              > http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v432/xipetotec1/tengpic.jpg

              Well, here I can give my two cents...

              If you're transcribing a Quenya sentence then you have to use
              Quenya "mode" on the tengscriber. Well, I think there is no need to
              glut you with information about how the Tengwar works, so here are
              the "codes" you can copy & paste into your word editor and change the
              font to a Tengwar font:

              5^,F 'family' _nosse_
              `B 7~B5# `C6 t^65# z~V5 'the crowned and dark one' _i rína ar morna
              quén_ (for omitting the AND _ar_, just withdraw the `C6).

              But since I am not sure about the Quenya sentence I'd rather
              recommend to wait for some Elfling help.

              cal

              _____

              YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

              * Visit your group "elfscript
              <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/elfscript> " on the web.

              _____

            • worldofbob2001
              Message 6 of 20 , Jan 4, 2006
                Thanks alot for your help. It is fantastic. Amased at anyone able to
                do these sorts of things. Languages and letter system confuse and
                scare me :D

                Right time to work out the placment of this tattoo :)
              • worldofbob2001
                Message 7 of 20 , Jan 4, 2006

                  > --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, "worldofbob2001"
                  > <worldofbob2001@y...> wrote:
                  > >> `B yj%° 78%Ê qJ w#r^È @ ejt#È+ 2{ w`V `C rzG1t% 5`N jx^{6R
                  > >> and
                  > >> `B yj%° 78%Ê qJ w#r^È @ ejt#È+ 2È{ w`V `C
                  > >> rzG1t% 5`N jx^{È6

                  Just one last thing. is here any chance of spliting the strings up to
                  the individual words for me please. i know its alot to ask but looking
                  at both codes I see areas that should be the same word but are different.

                  correct me were I go wrong.

                  I = `B
                  Will = yj%°
                  rise = 78%Ê
                  up = qJ
                  above (this is the first problem)w#r^È or w#r^È
                  the = @
                  flames = ejt#È+ or ejt#È+
                  and = 2{or 2È{
                  be = w`V
                  a = `C
                  victim = rzG1t%
                  no = 5`N
                  longer = jx^{È6

                  I notice it seems to occur twice where an È is in the first transciption.

                  Thanks alot again.
                  Robert
                  Message 8 of 20 , Jan 4, 2006
                    --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, "worldofbob2001" wrote:
                    > I = `B -YES
                    > Will = yj%°
                    > rise = 78%Ê
                    > up = qJ
                    > above (this is the first problem)w#r^È or w#r^È
                    > the = @
                    > flames = ejt#È+ or ejt#È+
                    > and = 2{or 2È{
                    > be = w`V
                    > a = `C
                    > victim = rzG1t%
                    > no = 5`N
                    > longer = jx^{È6
                    >
                    > I notice it seems to occur twice where an È is in the first
                    transciption.

                    > Thanks alot again.
                    > Robert

                    _Ê_ is the same as _È_ which is the same as _È_ --- it is just a
                    matter of a text format that is set in one's computer. In Tengwar
                    this code means the silent E in words 'risE, abovE, flamEs, longEr'.

                    Lucy
                  • worldofbob2001
                    Message 9 of 20 , Jan 5, 2006
                      > _Ê_ is the same as _È_ which is the same as _È_ --- it is
                      just a
                      > matter of a text format that is set in one's computer. In Tengwar
                      > this code means the silent E in words 'risE, abovE, flamEs, longEr'.
                      >
                      > Lucy

                      Ok hopefully this correct. I have redone the script using the code.
                      hopefully this will be correct now and I can book my place in the
                      chair!!!!!

                      http://uk.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/worldofbob2001/detail?.dir=/ebb9&.dnm=8126re2.jpg&.src=ph

                      Thanks Lucy you've been great.

                      Robert
                      Message 10 of 20 , Jan 6, 2006
                        --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, "worldofbob2001" wrote:
                        > Ok hopefully this correct. I have redone the script using the code.
                        > hopefully this will be correct now and I can book my place in the
                        > chair!!!!!

                        http://uk.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/worldofbob2001/detail?.dir=/ebb9&.dnm=8
                        126re2.jpg&.src=ph

                        Ups, that's what I have feared.. the text formats mixed it up... see
                        the correct picture here:

                        Sorry for the confusion.
                        Lucy
                      • worldofbob2001
                        Message 11 of 20 , Jan 6, 2006
                          Hi Lucy I think I have it now!!

                          http://uk.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/worldofbob2001/detail?.dir=/ebb9&.dnm=3b9dre2.jpg

                          Hopefully this is it now. It is bold italics so I just hope that the
                          way it changes the accents and stuff doesn't affect the meaning (would
                          be a bit of a stupid font if it did!) Still tossing up between regular
                          or bold italic though.
                          Message 12 of 20 , Jan 9, 2006
                            --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, "worldofbob2001" wrote:

                            > Hi Lucy I think I have it now!!

                            http://uk.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/worldofbob2001/detail?.dir=/ebb9&.dnm=3
                            b9dre2.jpg

                            > Hopefully this is it now. It is bold italics so I just hope that the
                            > way it changes the accents and stuff doesn't affect the meaning (would
                            > be a bit of a stupid font if it did!) Still tossing up between regular
                            > or bold italic though.

                            Hello,
                            well, it shouldn't though the first underdot in the 3rd word (rise)
                            should be more centered under the main tengwa (that reminds kinda an
                            arabic numeral 6). Actually, all signs (dots, accute accents, triple
                            dots etc.) have to be centered regarding the tengwa they are under or
                            above it. Also, the S-hook in _flames_ sould be modified since the
                            tengwa for M in _flames_ differs in the italic style.

                            Here is my suggestion:

                          • worldofbob2001
                            Message 13 of 20 , Jan 10, 2006
                              > Hello,
                              > well, it shouldn't though the first underdot in the 3rd word (rise)
                              > should be more centered under the main tengwa (that reminds kinda an
                              > arabic numeral 6). Actually, all signs (dots, accute accents, triple
                              > dots etc.) have to be centered regarding the tengwa they are under or
                              > above it. Also, the S-hook in _flames_ sould be modified since the
                              > tengwa for M in _flames_ differs in the italic style.
                              >
                              > Here is my suggestion:

                              > Lucy

                              Will try my best to alter it but hopeful it should be ok I can alway
                              ask the tattooist to change it for me. Thanks very very much for your
                              help. You have saved me hours and have allowed me to get the tattoo I
                              want and not look like a moron cause it's wrong.

                              One last question. I have been reading the books again and i now
                              notice that the inscription on the ring on seperates the tengwar where
                              there is punctuation otherwise it remian as one long string of text.
                              Would this be the correct way to represent it?
                              Message 14 of 20 , Jan 10, 2006
                                --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, "worldofbob2001" wrote:
                                > One last question. I have been reading the books again and i now
                                > notice that the inscription on the ring on seperates the tengwar where
                                > there is punctuation otherwise it remian as one long string of text.
                                > Would this be the correct way to represent it?

                                Yes, if you read the English version of the text on the One Ring then
                                you know that it is a four-verse poem and the verses are separated by
                                Tengwar punctuation. That's why I put the triple dots in the beginning
                                and in the end of the transcription of your sentence here:

                                Hope you'll give us a new tattoo of yours feedback :)