Re: help required with another tattoo!!!

  • worldofbob2001
    Message 1 of 20 , Jan 3, 2006
      `B yj%° 78%Ê qJ w#r^È @ ejt#È+ 2{ w`V `C rzG1t% 5`N jx^{6R

      and

      `B yj%° 78%Ê qJ w#r^È @ ejt#È+ 2È{ w`V `C rzG1t%
      5`N jx^{È6

      Lucy

      Are both these transcriptions basically correct for the text?

      If so then I'll probably go for the first one as I believe it is more
      suitable for a tattoo due to a decreased character count and
      simplified accents. This will be going on me forever soo naturally you
      can understand my interest in getting this as correct as possible.
      quite impressed that despite problems with the transcription that the
      first example said what I wanted!!!

      Thanks again. I am getting very excited about this now. Should be
      getting it this month. Will post a pic when it's done.
    • worldofbob2001
      Message 2 of 20 , Jan 3, 2006
        Sorry for posting so many time. Espeacially if you get these in your
        email!!!

        Jut though I'd exlpain a little further the meaning behind the phrase
        i choose. although it may bore most i belive that phrases such as this
        are pointless without true meaning behind them and tattoos are even
        more pointless if they don't have some meaning to the person that have
        them.

        "i will rise up above the flames and be a victim no longer"

        Basically I have been through a hard time over the last 7 months. It
        all started wieith splitting my girlfrnd of 6 years and i went of the
        rails a little, lost my job and had to return home to Ireland (i was
        living in wales). This was when I decided to get my first tattoos
        before I left wales. One was of a 8 point compass like design on my
        right forearm. this was to represnt the choices now ahead of me and is
        in a position that I am always reminded of the fact that you are never
        without choice. The second was the aforementioned dragon. I always
        meant for it to be surrounded by flame at some point but couldn't work
        out a good way to terminate the flame above my elbow so it wasn;t just
        appearing from nowhere. This is when I thought that maybe a tribal
        band would be a good choice but was relucent because, lets face it,
        everyone has one.

        Then while watching fellowship one day I noticed how beautifully
        suited to a band the script inside the ring was. This is when I though
        of the phrase to represent a defiance I have now aquired to stop
        felling sorry for myself in any situation. So as you can see the
        phrase sums things up quite well and as I hope you'll agree looks
        beautiful in script.

        Robert
      • balroghead
        Message 3 of 20 , Jan 3, 2006
          I think its great to see a kindred spirit tattoo enthusiast. As you
          may have seen I posted my own questions just before yours. Not
          really sure why I didn't get any answers :) ... but anyway, maybe it
          was my uncertainty.

          That being said. I myself am going for "the crowned and dark one"
          OR "the crowned dark one" ... sounds evil right? Except it's the
          meanings of mine and my wife's name. I also decided to have it in
          Quenya written in Tengwar.

          I *think* I have it right when I say :
          i rína ar morna quén
          or
          i rína morna quén ( without the "THE" ).

          Of course, I could be TOTALLY wrong.
          Also, I'm not sure about the transcription tool I'm using, but I
          think this is how you would print it:

          <a
          href="http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v432/xipetotec1/tengpic.jpg">
          My Tengwar Translation? </a>

          --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, "worldofbob2001"

          Message 4 of 20 , Jan 4, 2006
            --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, "balroghead" wrote:

            > I also decided to have it in Quenya written in Tengwar.

            That's the reason why you haven't yet received your answer. Since
            Robert wants just a transcription because he's used an English
            sentence, it was much easier and "quicker" to answer him first. This
            group concerns writing systems, many of its members have no (or very
            small) knowledge of Professor's languages (I myself have a very
            little knowledge of Quenya). That's why I'm actually not able to help
            back concerning the Quenya (translation from English -> Quenya) and
            that means that the transcription itself might be in principle
            incorrect in case the translation is incorrect. Do you get my
            point? :)

            > I *think* I have it right when I say :
            > i rína ar morna quén
            > or
            > i rína morna quén ( without the "THE" ).

            Well, I'm not much familiar with Quenya but I still can see the
            definite article THE in the lattest sentence (_i_) but it lacks the
            conjuction AND (_ar_). It may be just a slip from your part, huh? :)
            On the other hand, Tolkien gives us _Moriquendi_ as 'The Dark Elves',
            literally 'The Dark Ones' and if one supposes to make a singular of
            this, which would in English yield 'The Dark One', it would BMVHO be
            *_moriquen_ in Quenya. Concerning the translation, I would rather
            recommend to contact the Elfling group:

            > Of course, I could be TOTALLY wrong.
            > Also, I'm not sure about the transcription tool I'm using, but I
            > think this is how you would print it:

            > http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v432/xipetotec1/tengpic.jpg

            Well, here I can give my two cents...

            If you're transcribing a Quenya sentence then you have to use
            Quenya "mode" on the tengscriber. Well, I think there is no need to
            glut you with information about how the Tengwar works, so here are
            the "codes" you can copy & paste into your word editor and change the
            font to a Tengwar font:

            5^,F 'family' _nosse_
            `B 7~B5# `C6 t^65# z~V5 'the crowned and dark one' _i rína ar morna
            quén_ (for omitting the AND _ar_, just withdraw the `C6).

            But since I am not sure about the Quenya sentence I'd rather
            recommend to wait for some Elfling help.

            cal
            Message 5 of 20 , Jan 4, 2006
              <worldofbob2001@y...> wrote:
              >> `B yj%° 78%Ê qJ w#r^È @ ejt#È+ 2{ w`V `C rzG1t% 5`N jx^{6R
              >> and
              >> `B yj%° 78%Ê qJ w#r^È @ ejt#È+ 2È{ w`V `C
              >> rzG1t% 5`N jx^{È6
              >
              > Are both these transcriptions basically correct for the text?

              No, the first one is not transcribed correctly, unlike the latter one.

              I'll try to draw a difference between those two by English:

              The first one reads: "I will rize up above the flames and be a victim
              no longair." (it is not literally so with the word "longair" but
              approximately designed for this purpose of distinction), and the
              second one reads: "I will rise up above the flames and be a victim no
              longer." So, I think there is no hard decision to make...

              Lucy

              One more thing: the transcriber makes obvious mistakes that we who
              are more familiar with Tengwar can quite easily find and since we are
              using our brain cells (:]) we are able to deduce what is the
              transcription supposed to say... so it is not like that the
              transcriber didn't do many errors, rather on the contrary.
            • Stephane Morrell
              Message 6 of 20 , Jan 4, 2006
                That’s great. I will definitely check into that group and report back here
                for proper transcriptions if the sentence should be different. I wouldn’t
                have it any other way as you guys seem to really be knowledgeable when it
                comes to Tengwar.

                I’m sorry if I came off a bit rude before about the non-response, it wasn’t
                my intention. I can completely understand the faster response to the easier
                question ( heck, I end up doing this in my day-to-day work ).

                Thanks again for the codes! I checked them against my original transcription
                that I obtained from the transcriber and the last one I had (using Quenya
                mode ) did indeed match ( what a relief :-) ) …

                _____

                > I also decided to have it in Quenya written in Tengwar.

                That's the reason why you haven't yet received your answer. Since
                Robert wants just a transcription because he's used an English
                sentence, it was much easier and "quicker" to answer him first. This
                group concerns writing systems, many of its members have no (or very
                small) knowledge of Professor's languages (I myself have a very
                little knowledge of Quenya). That's why I'm actually not able to help
                back concerning the Quenya (translation from English -> Quenya) and
                that means that the transcription itself might be in principle
                incorrect in case the translation is incorrect. Do you get my
                point? :)

                > I *think* I have it right when I say :
                > i rína ar morna quén
                > or
                > i rína morna quén ( without the "THE" ).

                Well, I'm not much familiar with Quenya but I still can see the
                definite article THE in the lattest sentence (_i_) but it lacks the
                conjuction AND (_ar_). It may be just a slip from your part, huh? :)
                On the other hand, Tolkien gives us _Moriquendi_ as 'The Dark Elves',
                literally 'The Dark Ones' and if one supposes to make a singular of
                this, which would in English yield 'The Dark One', it would BMVHO be
                *_moriquen_ in Quenya. Concerning the translation, I would rather
                recommend to contact the Elfling group:

                > Of course, I could be TOTALLY wrong.
                > Also, I'm not sure about the transcription tool I'm using, but I
                > think this is how you would print it:

                > http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v432/xipetotec1/tengpic.jpg

                Well, here I can give my two cents...

                If you're transcribing a Quenya sentence then you have to use
                Quenya "mode" on the tengscriber. Well, I think there is no need to
                glut you with information about how the Tengwar works, so here are
                the "codes" you can copy & paste into your word editor and change the
                font to a Tengwar font:

                5^,F 'family' _nosse_
                `B 7~B5# `C6 t^65# z~V5 'the crowned and dark one' _i rína ar morna
                quén_ (for omitting the AND _ar_, just withdraw the `C6).

                But since I am not sure about the Quenya sentence I'd rather
                recommend to wait for some Elfling help.

                cal

                _____

                YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

                * Visit your group "elfscript
                <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/elfscript> " on the web.

                _____

              • worldofbob2001
                Message 7 of 20 , Jan 4, 2006
                  Thanks alot for your help. It is fantastic. Amased at anyone able to
                  do these sorts of things. Languages and letter system confuse and
                  scare me :D

                  Right time to work out the placment of this tattoo :)
                • worldofbob2001
                  Message 8 of 20 , Jan 4, 2006

                    > --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, "worldofbob2001"
                    > <worldofbob2001@y...> wrote:
                    > >> `B yj%° 78%Ê qJ w#r^È @ ejt#È+ 2{ w`V `C rzG1t% 5`N jx^{6R
                    > >> and
                    > >> `B yj%° 78%Ê qJ w#r^È @ ejt#È+ 2È{ w`V `C
                    > >> rzG1t% 5`N jx^{È6

                    Just one last thing. is here any chance of spliting the strings up to
                    the individual words for me please. i know its alot to ask but looking
                    at both codes I see areas that should be the same word but are different.

                    correct me were I go wrong.

                    I = `B
                    Will = yj%°
                    rise = 78%Ê
                    up = qJ
                    above (this is the first problem)w#r^È or w#r^È
                    the = @
                    flames = ejt#È+ or ejt#È+
                    and = 2{or 2È{
                    be = w`V
                    a = `C
                    victim = rzG1t%
                    no = 5`N
                    longer = jx^{È6

                    I notice it seems to occur twice where an È is in the first transciption.

                    Thanks alot again.
                    Robert
                    Message 9 of 20 , Jan 4, 2006
                      --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, "worldofbob2001" wrote:
                      > I = `B -YES
                      > Will = yj%°
                      > rise = 78%Ê
                      > up = qJ
                      > above (this is the first problem)w#r^È or w#r^È
                      > the = @
                      > flames = ejt#È+ or ejt#È+
                      > and = 2{or 2È{
                      > be = w`V
                      > a = `C
                      > victim = rzG1t%
                      > no = 5`N
                      > longer = jx^{È6
                      >
                      > I notice it seems to occur twice where an È is in the first
                      transciption.

                      > Thanks alot again.
                      > Robert

                      _Ê_ is the same as _È_ which is the same as _È_ --- it is just a
                      matter of a text format that is set in one's computer. In Tengwar
                      this code means the silent E in words 'risE, abovE, flamEs, longEr'.

                      Lucy
                    • worldofbob2001
                      Message 10 of 20 , Jan 5, 2006
                        > _Ê_ is the same as _È_ which is the same as _È_ --- it is
                        just a
                        > matter of a text format that is set in one's computer. In Tengwar
                        > this code means the silent E in words 'risE, abovE, flamEs, longEr'.
                        >
                        > Lucy

                        Ok hopefully this correct. I have redone the script using the code.
                        hopefully this will be correct now and I can book my place in the
                        chair!!!!!

                        http://uk.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/worldofbob2001/detail?.dir=/ebb9&.dnm=8126re2.jpg&.src=ph

                        Thanks Lucy you've been great.

                        Robert
                        Message 11 of 20 , Jan 6, 2006
                          --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, "worldofbob2001" wrote:
                          > Ok hopefully this correct. I have redone the script using the code.
                          > hopefully this will be correct now and I can book my place in the
                          > chair!!!!!

                          http://uk.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/worldofbob2001/detail?.dir=/ebb9&.dnm=8
                          126re2.jpg&.src=ph

                          Ups, that's what I have feared.. the text formats mixed it up... see
                          the correct picture here:

                          Sorry for the confusion.
                          Lucy
                        • worldofbob2001
                          Message 12 of 20 , Jan 6, 2006
                            Hi Lucy I think I have it now!!

                            http://uk.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/worldofbob2001/detail?.dir=/ebb9&.dnm=3b9dre2.jpg

                            Hopefully this is it now. It is bold italics so I just hope that the
                            way it changes the accents and stuff doesn't affect the meaning (would
                            be a bit of a stupid font if it did!) Still tossing up between regular
                            or bold italic though.
                            Message 13 of 20 , Jan 9, 2006
                              --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, "worldofbob2001" wrote:

                              > Hi Lucy I think I have it now!!

                              http://uk.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/worldofbob2001/detail?.dir=/ebb9&.dnm=3
                              b9dre2.jpg

                              > Hopefully this is it now. It is bold italics so I just hope that the
                              > way it changes the accents and stuff doesn't affect the meaning (would
                              > be a bit of a stupid font if it did!) Still tossing up between regular
                              > or bold italic though.

                              Hello,
                              well, it shouldn't though the first underdot in the 3rd word (rise)
                              should be more centered under the main tengwa (that reminds kinda an
                              arabic numeral 6). Actually, all signs (dots, accute accents, triple
                              dots etc.) have to be centered regarding the tengwa they are under or
                              above it. Also, the S-hook in _flames_ sould be modified since the
                              tengwa for M in _flames_ differs in the italic style.

                              Here is my suggestion:

                            • worldofbob2001
                              Message 14 of 20 , Jan 10, 2006
                                > Hello,
                                > well, it shouldn't though the first underdot in the 3rd word (rise)
                                > should be more centered under the main tengwa (that reminds kinda an
                                > arabic numeral 6). Actually, all signs (dots, accute accents, triple
                                > dots etc.) have to be centered regarding the tengwa they are under or
                                > above it. Also, the S-hook in _flames_ sould be modified since the
                                > tengwa for M in _flames_ differs in the italic style.
                                >
                                > Here is my suggestion:

                                > Lucy

                                Will try my best to alter it but hopeful it should be ok I can alway
                                ask the tattooist to change it for me. Thanks very very much for your
                                help. You have saved me hours and have allowed me to get the tattoo I
                                want and not look like a moron cause it's wrong.

                                One last question. I have been reading the books again and i now
                                notice that the inscription on the ring on seperates the tengwar where
                                there is punctuation otherwise it remian as one long string of text.
                                Would this be the correct way to represent it?
                                Message 15 of 20 , Jan 10, 2006
                                  --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, "worldofbob2001" wrote:
                                  > One last question. I have been reading the books again and i now
                                  > notice that the inscription on the ring on seperates the tengwar where
                                  > there is punctuation otherwise it remian as one long string of text.
                                  > Would this be the correct way to represent it?

                                  Yes, if you read the English version of the text on the One Ring then
                                  you know that it is a four-verse poem and the verses are separated by
                                  Tengwar punctuation. That's why I put the triple dots in the beginning
                                  and in the end of the transcription of your sentence here:

                                  Hope you'll give us a new tattoo of yours feedback :)