Re: help required with another tattoo!!!

  • j_mach_wust
    Message 1 of 20 , Jan 3, 2006
      Lucy wrote:
      > So, BMO the transription should be (copy & paste the following "code"
      > into your Word Editor and change the font into Tengwar Annatar, if
      > you need to have it downloaded:
      > http://home.student.uu.se/jowi4905/fonts/annatar.html):
      >
      > `B yj%° 78%Ê qJ w#r^È @ ejt#È+ 2{ w`V `C rzG1t% 5`N jx^{6R
      >
      > The word 'rise' is somehow not clear to me, I can't decide which form
      > would be the best, other alternatives could be: 7KBÊ or 7iTË

      The first one is fine; the second reads "rize" and the third one "rice".

      Isn't the transcription of "and" supposed to have a dot below?

      I'd rather transcribe "longer" with a dot below the G instead of an
      acute above the R.

      Message 2 of 20 , Jan 3, 2006
        --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, "j_mach_wust" <j_mach_wust@y...>
        wrote:

        > Lucy wrote:
        > > So, BMO the transription should be (copy & paste the
        following "code"
        > > into your Word Editor and change the font into Tengwar Annatar,
        if
        > > you need to have it downloaded:
        > > http://home.student.uu.se/jowi4905/fonts/annatar.html):
        > >
        > > `B yj%° 78%Ê qJ w#r^È @ ejt#È+ 2{ w`V `C rzG1t% 5`N jx^{6R
        > >
        > > The word 'rise' is somehow not clear to me, I can't decide which
        form
        > > would be the best, other alternatives could be: 7KBÊ or 7iTË
        >
        > The first one is fine; the second reads "rize" and the third
        one "rice".

        Theoretically (following Tolkien's 'is' transcribed in the DTS 10,
        or 'as' in DTS 5), the modified esse wouldn't be such a big mistake,
        huh?

        > Isn't the transcription of "and" supposed to have a dot below?

        The samples show both, I guess (DTS 5 x DTS 10).

        > I'd rather transcribe "longer" with a dot below the G instead of an
        > acute above the R.

        Well, I was not quite decided which one to pick... so:

        `B yj%° 78%Ê qJ w#r^È @ ejt#È+ 2È{ w`V `C rzG1t% 5`N jx^{È6

        Lucy
      • worldofbob2001
        Message 3 of 20 , Jan 3, 2006
          Well at least it reads what it is meant to. i was worried it might say
          something like I wear pink knickers or something :D

          It is getting done on my left arm about an inch above the elbow. From
          this i am getting flames tattooed to surrond a tribal style dragon i
          already have.

          thanks loads. You've been great.
        • worldofbob2001
          Message 4 of 20 , Jan 3, 2006
            `B yj%° 78%Ê qJ w#r^È @ ejt#È+ 2{ w`V `C rzG1t% 5`N jx^{6R

            and

            `B yj%° 78%Ê qJ w#r^È @ ejt#È+ 2È{ w`V `C rzG1t%
            5`N jx^{È6

            Lucy

            Are both these transcriptions basically correct for the text?

            If so then I'll probably go for the first one as I believe it is more
            suitable for a tattoo due to a decreased character count and
            simplified accents. This will be going on me forever soo naturally you
            can understand my interest in getting this as correct as possible.
            quite impressed that despite problems with the transcription that the
            first example said what I wanted!!!

            Thanks again. I am getting very excited about this now. Should be
            getting it this month. Will post a pic when it's done.
          • worldofbob2001
            Message 5 of 20 , Jan 3, 2006
              Sorry for posting so many time. Espeacially if you get these in your
              email!!!

              Jut though I'd exlpain a little further the meaning behind the phrase
              i choose. although it may bore most i belive that phrases such as this
              are pointless without true meaning behind them and tattoos are even
              more pointless if they don't have some meaning to the person that have
              them.

              "i will rise up above the flames and be a victim no longer"

              Basically I have been through a hard time over the last 7 months. It
              all started wieith splitting my girlfrnd of 6 years and i went of the
              rails a little, lost my job and had to return home to Ireland (i was
              living in wales). This was when I decided to get my first tattoos
              before I left wales. One was of a 8 point compass like design on my
              right forearm. this was to represnt the choices now ahead of me and is
              in a position that I am always reminded of the fact that you are never
              without choice. The second was the aforementioned dragon. I always
              meant for it to be surrounded by flame at some point but couldn't work
              out a good way to terminate the flame above my elbow so it wasn;t just
              appearing from nowhere. This is when I thought that maybe a tribal
              band would be a good choice but was relucent because, lets face it,
              everyone has one.

              Then while watching fellowship one day I noticed how beautifully
              suited to a band the script inside the ring was. This is when I though
              of the phrase to represent a defiance I have now aquired to stop
              felling sorry for myself in any situation. So as you can see the
              phrase sums things up quite well and as I hope you'll agree looks
              beautiful in script.

              Robert
            • balroghead
              Message 6 of 20 , Jan 3, 2006
                I think its great to see a kindred spirit tattoo enthusiast. As you
                may have seen I posted my own questions just before yours. Not
                really sure why I didn't get any answers :) ... but anyway, maybe it
                was my uncertainty.

                That being said. I myself am going for "the crowned and dark one"
                OR "the crowned dark one" ... sounds evil right? Except it's the
                meanings of mine and my wife's name. I also decided to have it in
                Quenya written in Tengwar.

                I *think* I have it right when I say :
                i rína ar morna quén
                or
                i rína morna quén ( without the "THE" ).

                Of course, I could be TOTALLY wrong.
                Also, I'm not sure about the transcription tool I'm using, but I
                think this is how you would print it:

                <a
                href="http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v432/xipetotec1/tengpic.jpg">
                My Tengwar Translation? </a>

                --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, "worldofbob2001"

                Message 7 of 20 , Jan 4, 2006
                  --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, "balroghead" wrote:

                  > I also decided to have it in Quenya written in Tengwar.

                  That's the reason why you haven't yet received your answer. Since
                  Robert wants just a transcription because he's used an English
                  sentence, it was much easier and "quicker" to answer him first. This
                  group concerns writing systems, many of its members have no (or very
                  small) knowledge of Professor's languages (I myself have a very
                  little knowledge of Quenya). That's why I'm actually not able to help
                  back concerning the Quenya (translation from English -> Quenya) and
                  that means that the transcription itself might be in principle
                  incorrect in case the translation is incorrect. Do you get my
                  point? :)

                  > I *think* I have it right when I say :
                  > i rína ar morna quén
                  > or
                  > i rína morna quén ( without the "THE" ).

                  Well, I'm not much familiar with Quenya but I still can see the
                  definite article THE in the lattest sentence (_i_) but it lacks the
                  conjuction AND (_ar_). It may be just a slip from your part, huh? :)
                  On the other hand, Tolkien gives us _Moriquendi_ as 'The Dark Elves',
                  literally 'The Dark Ones' and if one supposes to make a singular of
                  this, which would in English yield 'The Dark One', it would BMVHO be
                  *_moriquen_ in Quenya. Concerning the translation, I would rather
                  recommend to contact the Elfling group:

                  > Of course, I could be TOTALLY wrong.
                  > Also, I'm not sure about the transcription tool I'm using, but I
                  > think this is how you would print it:

                  > http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v432/xipetotec1/tengpic.jpg

                  Well, here I can give my two cents...

                  If you're transcribing a Quenya sentence then you have to use
                  Quenya "mode" on the tengscriber. Well, I think there is no need to
                  glut you with information about how the Tengwar works, so here are
                  the "codes" you can copy & paste into your word editor and change the
                  font to a Tengwar font:

                  5^,F 'family' _nosse_
                  `B 7~B5# `C6 t^65# z~V5 'the crowned and dark one' _i rína ar morna
                  quén_ (for omitting the AND _ar_, just withdraw the `C6).

                  But since I am not sure about the Quenya sentence I'd rather
                  recommend to wait for some Elfling help.

                  cal
                  Message 8 of 20 , Jan 4, 2006
                    <worldofbob2001@y...> wrote:
                    >> `B yj%° 78%Ê qJ w#r^È @ ejt#È+ 2{ w`V `C rzG1t% 5`N jx^{6R
                    >> and
                    >> `B yj%° 78%Ê qJ w#r^È @ ejt#È+ 2È{ w`V `C
                    >> rzG1t% 5`N jx^{È6
                    >
                    > Are both these transcriptions basically correct for the text?

                    No, the first one is not transcribed correctly, unlike the latter one.

                    I'll try to draw a difference between those two by English:

                    The first one reads: "I will rize up above the flames and be a victim
                    no longair." (it is not literally so with the word "longair" but
                    approximately designed for this purpose of distinction), and the
                    second one reads: "I will rise up above the flames and be a victim no
                    longer." So, I think there is no hard decision to make...

                    Lucy

                    One more thing: the transcriber makes obvious mistakes that we who
                    are more familiar with Tengwar can quite easily find and since we are
                    using our brain cells (:]) we are able to deduce what is the
                    transcription supposed to say... so it is not like that the
                    transcriber didn't do many errors, rather on the contrary.
                  • Stephane Morrell
                    Message 9 of 20 , Jan 4, 2006
                      That’s great. I will definitely check into that group and report back here
                      for proper transcriptions if the sentence should be different. I wouldn’t
                      have it any other way as you guys seem to really be knowledgeable when it
                      comes to Tengwar.

                      I’m sorry if I came off a bit rude before about the non-response, it wasn’t
                      my intention. I can completely understand the faster response to the easier
                      question ( heck, I end up doing this in my day-to-day work ).

                      Thanks again for the codes! I checked them against my original transcription
                      that I obtained from the transcriber and the last one I had (using Quenya
                      mode ) did indeed match ( what a relief :-) ) …

                      _____

                      > I also decided to have it in Quenya written in Tengwar.

                      That's the reason why you haven't yet received your answer. Since
                      Robert wants just a transcription because he's used an English
                      sentence, it was much easier and "quicker" to answer him first. This
                      group concerns writing systems, many of its members have no (or very
                      small) knowledge of Professor's languages (I myself have a very
                      little knowledge of Quenya). That's why I'm actually not able to help
                      back concerning the Quenya (translation from English -> Quenya) and
                      that means that the transcription itself might be in principle
                      incorrect in case the translation is incorrect. Do you get my
                      point? :)

                      > I *think* I have it right when I say :
                      > i rína ar morna quén
                      > or
                      > i rína morna quén ( without the "THE" ).

                      Well, I'm not much familiar with Quenya but I still can see the
                      definite article THE in the lattest sentence (_i_) but it lacks the
                      conjuction AND (_ar_). It may be just a slip from your part, huh? :)
                      On the other hand, Tolkien gives us _Moriquendi_ as 'The Dark Elves',
                      literally 'The Dark Ones' and if one supposes to make a singular of
                      this, which would in English yield 'The Dark One', it would BMVHO be
                      *_moriquen_ in Quenya. Concerning the translation, I would rather
                      recommend to contact the Elfling group:

                      > Of course, I could be TOTALLY wrong.
                      > Also, I'm not sure about the transcription tool I'm using, but I
                      > think this is how you would print it:

                      > http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v432/xipetotec1/tengpic.jpg

                      Well, here I can give my two cents...

                      If you're transcribing a Quenya sentence then you have to use
                      Quenya "mode" on the tengscriber. Well, I think there is no need to
                      glut you with information about how the Tengwar works, so here are
                      the "codes" you can copy & paste into your word editor and change the
                      font to a Tengwar font:

                      5^,F 'family' _nosse_
                      `B 7~B5# `C6 t^65# z~V5 'the crowned and dark one' _i rína ar morna
                      quén_ (for omitting the AND _ar_, just withdraw the `C6).

                      But since I am not sure about the Quenya sentence I'd rather
                      recommend to wait for some Elfling help.

                      cal

                      _____

                      YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

                      * Visit your group "elfscript
                      <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/elfscript> " on the web.

                      _____

                    • worldofbob2001
                      Message 10 of 20 , Jan 4, 2006
                        Thanks alot for your help. It is fantastic. Amased at anyone able to
                        do these sorts of things. Languages and letter system confuse and
                        scare me :D

                        Right time to work out the placment of this tattoo :)
                      • worldofbob2001
                        Message 11 of 20 , Jan 4, 2006

                          > --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, "worldofbob2001"
                          > <worldofbob2001@y...> wrote:
                          > >> `B yj%° 78%Ê qJ w#r^È @ ejt#È+ 2{ w`V `C rzG1t% 5`N jx^{6R
                          > >> and
                          > >> `B yj%° 78%Ê qJ w#r^È @ ejt#È+ 2È{ w`V `C
                          > >> rzG1t% 5`N jx^{È6

                          Just one last thing. is here any chance of spliting the strings up to
                          the individual words for me please. i know its alot to ask but looking
                          at both codes I see areas that should be the same word but are different.

                          correct me were I go wrong.

                          I = `B
                          Will = yj%°
                          rise = 78%Ê
                          up = qJ
                          above (this is the first problem)w#r^È or w#r^È
                          the = @
                          flames = ejt#È+ or ejt#È+
                          and = 2{or 2È{
                          be = w`V
                          a = `C
                          victim = rzG1t%
                          no = 5`N
                          longer = jx^{È6

                          I notice it seems to occur twice where an È is in the first transciption.

                          Thanks alot again.
                          Robert
                          Message 12 of 20 , Jan 4, 2006
                            --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, "worldofbob2001" wrote:
                            > I = `B -YES
                            > Will = yj%°
                            > rise = 78%Ê
                            > up = qJ
                            > above (this is the first problem)w#r^È or w#r^È
                            > the = @
                            > flames = ejt#È+ or ejt#È+
                            > and = 2{or 2È{
                            > be = w`V
                            > a = `C
                            > victim = rzG1t%
                            > no = 5`N
                            > longer = jx^{È6
                            >
                            > I notice it seems to occur twice where an È is in the first
                            transciption.

                            > Thanks alot again.
                            > Robert

                            _Ê_ is the same as _È_ which is the same as _È_ --- it is just a
                            matter of a text format that is set in one's computer. In Tengwar
                            this code means the silent E in words 'risE, abovE, flamEs, longEr'.

                            Lucy
                          • worldofbob2001
                            Message 13 of 20 , Jan 5, 2006
                              > _Ê_ is the same as _È_ which is the same as _È_ --- it is
                              just a
                              > matter of a text format that is set in one's computer. In Tengwar
                              > this code means the silent E in words 'risE, abovE, flamEs, longEr'.
                              >
                              > Lucy

                              Ok hopefully this correct. I have redone the script using the code.
                              hopefully this will be correct now and I can book my place in the
                              chair!!!!!

                              http://uk.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/worldofbob2001/detail?.dir=/ebb9&.dnm=8126re2.jpg&.src=ph

                              Thanks Lucy you've been great.

                              Robert
                              Message 14 of 20 , Jan 6, 2006
                                --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, "worldofbob2001" wrote:
                                > Ok hopefully this correct. I have redone the script using the code.
                                > hopefully this will be correct now and I can book my place in the
                                > chair!!!!!

                                http://uk.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/worldofbob2001/detail?.dir=/ebb9&.dnm=8
                                126re2.jpg&.src=ph

                                Ups, that's what I have feared.. the text formats mixed it up... see
                                the correct picture here:

                                Sorry for the confusion.
                                Lucy
                              • worldofbob2001
                                Message 15 of 20 , Jan 6, 2006
                                  Hi Lucy I think I have it now!!

                                  http://uk.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/worldofbob2001/detail?.dir=/ebb9&.dnm=3b9dre2.jpg

                                  Hopefully this is it now. It is bold italics so I just hope that the
                                  way it changes the accents and stuff doesn't affect the meaning (would
                                  be a bit of a stupid font if it did!) Still tossing up between regular
                                  or bold italic though.
                                  Message 16 of 20 , Jan 9, 2006
                                    --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, "worldofbob2001" wrote:

                                    > Hi Lucy I think I have it now!!

                                    http://uk.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/worldofbob2001/detail?.dir=/ebb9&.dnm=3
                                    b9dre2.jpg

                                    > Hopefully this is it now. It is bold italics so I just hope that the
                                    > way it changes the accents and stuff doesn't affect the meaning (would
                                    > be a bit of a stupid font if it did!) Still tossing up between regular
                                    > or bold italic though.

                                    Hello,
                                    well, it shouldn't though the first underdot in the 3rd word (rise)
                                    should be more centered under the main tengwa (that reminds kinda an
                                    arabic numeral 6). Actually, all signs (dots, accute accents, triple
                                    dots etc.) have to be centered regarding the tengwa they are under or
                                    above it. Also, the S-hook in _flames_ sould be modified since the
                                    tengwa for M in _flames_ differs in the italic style.

                                    Here is my suggestion:

                                  • worldofbob2001
                                    Message 17 of 20 , Jan 10, 2006
                                      > Hello,
                                      > well, it shouldn't though the first underdot in the 3rd word (rise)
                                      > should be more centered under the main tengwa (that reminds kinda an
                                      > arabic numeral 6). Actually, all signs (dots, accute accents, triple
                                      > dots etc.) have to be centered regarding the tengwa they are under or
                                      > above it. Also, the S-hook in _flames_ sould be modified since the
                                      > tengwa for M in _flames_ differs in the italic style.
                                      >
                                      > Here is my suggestion:

                                      > Lucy

                                      Will try my best to alter it but hopeful it should be ok I can alway
                                      ask the tattooist to change it for me. Thanks very very much for your
                                      help. You have saved me hours and have allowed me to get the tattoo I
                                      want and not look like a moron cause it's wrong.

                                      One last question. I have been reading the books again and i now
                                      notice that the inscription on the ring on seperates the tengwar where
                                      there is punctuation otherwise it remian as one long string of text.
                                      Would this be the correct way to represent it?
                                      Message 18 of 20 , Jan 10, 2006
                                        --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, "worldofbob2001" wrote:
                                        > One last question. I have been reading the books again and i now
                                        > notice that the inscription on the ring on seperates the tengwar where
                                        > there is punctuation otherwise it remian as one long string of text.
                                        > Would this be the correct way to represent it?

                                        Yes, if you read the English version of the text on the One Ring then
                                        you know that it is a four-verse poem and the verses are separated by
                                        Tengwar punctuation. That's why I put the triple dots in the beginning
                                        and in the end of the transcription of your sentence here:

                                        Hope you'll give us a new tattoo of yours feedback :)