Re: [elfscript] Re: Happy New Year Elf Script v3

  • Dave
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 2, 2006
      From: "j_mach_wust" <j_mach_wust@...>
      To: <elfscript@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Tuesday, January 03, 2006 2:43 AM
      Subject: [elfscript] Re: Happy New Year Elf Script v3

      Dave "Hisilome" wrote:
      > <<< Hm hoom. Let's see. Orthographic tehta modes (English): DTS 5
      > (well there's the spelling of "war", but by and large...), DTS 10
      > (Brogan greetings, second part), DTS 62. Orthographic full modes
      > (English): DTS 36, 37, 39, 47, 56, 58.

      ... have you noticed that these are really... phonemic tehtar mode
      samples? (though in the case of DTS 36 and 37, it may be discussable)

      <<<Hmm. Yep. Guess it was too late. :) Like you say, though, DTS 36/37 seem
      to be "sitting on the fence". Well, but that makes the case even more
      compelling in favour of orthographic _tehta_ as opposed to orthographic
      _full_ modes. I still fail to see how you can say then that "I thought that
      also in the [English]orthographic modes, there are more samples of 'full
      writing' than of tehtar modes"? Which samples are you referring to?

      And on a rather unrelated note, what is your reading of the _knnatta_ in DTS
      41? Why would one see it transcribed as _knyatt_ (Mellonath Daeron DTS
      Index: where's the final "a"? why a "y" instead of double "n"?) or _knyatta_
      (McKay's ISS I think, again: where does the "y" come from?)--minor point
      maybe, just occured strange to me that two sources would both see a "y"
      where I only see a wavy line, which should indicate a preceding nasal
      (?)...the DTS Index speculates this could be referring "to the Kenyan leader
      Yomo Kenyatta". Fair enough, but the transcription of what Tolkien actually
      wrote should be _knnatta_, should it not? >>>

      > did Tolkien
      > himself ever use the two underdots to indicate palatalization in any
      > English tengwar text? I couldn't find any instance, but I thought
      > maybe you had. I gather, though, that it's really "just"
      > extrapolated from Quenya (?).

      Yes, in DTS 23 (full writing) in the word "news". In DTS 39, we see
      the word "new" transcribed not with the two dots tehta above/below
      nĂºmen, but with noldo.

      <<< Ah, that explains it. I was looking through the "Lay of Leithian"
      passage (DTS 23), but I was searching for _underdots_. Also, overdots are
      used in various other instances (vowel combinations) as well in that text,
      so I overlooked this one...My mistake. Thanks! >>>

      Hisilome