Another Tattooer

  • balroghead
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 2, 2006
      Hello all, I'm new here and contemplating getting a tatoo in Quenya
      written in Tengwar script. ( Please be sure to make loads of fun of
      me if I sound like a total newbie ).

      What I'm going for is something like the meaning of my wife's name
      or perhaps my kids' names. I'm using a combination of Ardalambion's
      word list with trying to read/understand the quenya page and the
      online tengwar transcriber.

      As you can imagine, this being a bit of a permanent move on my part,
      I want to be sure translations are correct.

      Am I correct, for example, in believing that the simple term "dark
      one" ( not to be confused with THE Dark One - Morgoth ) would
      translate to "morna quén" ?

      Also, how does one turn a verb into a word that means someone who
      such a thing. For example. PROTECT translates to varya, but what
      would a PROTECTOR be?

      Lastly, can I assume that a Tengwar transcribing tool like that
      mentioned above will do a good job of giving me the proper script?
      If I enter "morna quén", for example, I get the following

      http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v432/xipetotec1/mornaquen.jpg

      Is this correct AFAYK?
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 3, 2006
        > Am I correct, for example, in believing that the simple term "dark one" (
        not to be confused with THE Dark One - Morgoth ) would translate to "morna
        quén" ?

        Yes, this would mean "Dark Person" or "Black One".

        Alternatively, one could simply "personalize" the adjective _morna_ "dark"
        as Morno or Mornon (with the masculine ending -o, -on...I assume you are a
        man, correct me if I'm wrong).

        Tolkien's word _morion_ "dark one" as a title of Morgoth (LR:72) is
        apparently another word for "black, dark", namely _more_ with stem _mori-_,
        plus the masculine ending -on). With other masculine endings we could have
        Morimo/Morino or Morio (all accented on the first syllable).

        > Also, how does one turn a verb into a word that means someone who such a
        thing. For example. PROTECT translates to varya, but what would a PROTECTOR
        be?

        An agent formation, in other words... If we start from _varya_, one
        possibility would be _varyar_. If we just use the basic root _var-_, there
        are many possibilities, such as _varno_, _varmo_, _varindo_, váro_.

        We do, however, have a Tolkien-made word translated "guardian": _cundo_
        (PM:260). Maybe the best option.

        - HKF
      • Stephane Morrell
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 6, 2006
          Wow thanks!

          Guardian IS indeed a good substitute for Protector.

          I AM indeed male, but Dark One refers to my wife ( in the nicest of ways
          really! :-) ). It is the meaning of her name, as mine is crowned.

          I am actually looking to have “The Crowned and Dark One” translated for the
          purpose of this tattoo ( I’ve decided ) and was thinking

          “i rína ar morna quén” was the way to go… What do you think?

          _____

          > Am I correct, for example, in believing that the simple term "dark one" (
          not to be confused with THE Dark One - Morgoth ) would translate to "morna
          quén" ?

          Yes, this would mean "Dark Person" or "Black One".

          Alternatively, one could simply "personalize" the adjective _morna_ "dark"
          as Morno or Mornon (with the masculine ending -o, -on...I assume you are a
          man, correct me if I'm wrong).

          Tolkien's word _morion_ "dark one" as a title of Morgoth (LR:72) is
          apparently another word for "black, dark", namely _more_ with stem _mori-_,
          plus the masculine ending -on). With other masculine endings we could have
          Morimo/Morino or Morio (all accented on the first syllable).

          > Also, how does one turn a verb into a word that means someone who such a
          thing. For example. PROTECT translates to varya, but what would a PROTECTOR
          be?

          An agent formation, in other words... If we start from _varya_, one
          possibility would be _varyar_. If we just use the basic root _var-_, there
          are many possibilities, such as _varno_, _varmo_, _varindo_, váro_.

          We do, however, have a Tolkien-made word translated "guardian": _cundo_
          (PM:260). Maybe the best option.

          - HKF

          _____

          YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS