Θέμα: [elfscript] Hyarmen & yanta

  • Palatinus
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 24, 2005
      > Is there any difference between a hyarmen and a
      > capital yanta? I'm

      hm?? Tengwar don't have capital versions. Only bigger
      versions, with some extra ornaments.

      Χρησιμοποιείτε Yahoo!;
    • David J. Finnamore
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 24, 2005
        --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, "j_mach_wust" <j_mach_wust@y...> wrote:

        > David J. Finnamore wrote:
        > >
        > > Is there any difference between a hyarmen and a capital yanta? I'm
        > > having a hard time distinguishing them in my own writing, except by
        > > context, of course.
        >
        > What do you mean by a "capital" tengwa? Capital letters are a strange
        > peculiarity of the modern Latin alphabet whereby the actual number of
        > letters is really doubled since each letter exists in two different
        > forms. Though this has been copied in a few alphabets heavily
        > influenced by modern Latin (modern Cyrillic and modern Greek), it does
        > not exist in tengwar.
        >
        > It is attested that certain tengwar may be written bigger, but that's
        > not capital letters, that's just the same letters of an increased size.
        >
        > Looking at DTS 21, it seems not to be important in that mode to
        > distinguish between hyarmen and yanta of increased size. It would be
        > very difficult to read "h" instead of "e", I guess.
        >
        > ---------------------------
        > j. 'mach' wust
        > http://machhezan.tripod.com
        > ---------------------------

        Yes, you're right, of course, I don't mean "capital" in the sense of a
        different character like a and A, just a larger version, like c and C.
        If "capitalized" is technically incorrect, what can we say instead,
        "magnified"? For now, I'll use that, since I can't think of anything
        better straight away. Tolkien seems to have routinely magnified the
        first letters of sentences, and sometimes the first letters of proper
        names, as well. To my eyes, hyarmen looks like simply a magnified
        yanta, or at least a tall yanta. So, when a sentence or name begins
        with yanta, it looks the same as if it were a hyarma. At least it did
        at first. I've begun starting the right arm further up on the stem
        for magnified yantas. Yantai. Yantim. Whatever the plural form
        would be. :-)

        Thanks,

        David "Daeron" Finnamore
        www.elvenminstrel.com

        Yanti, yantí, yantä, ...
      • David J. Finnamore
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 24, 2005
          --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, Palatinus <elfiness@y...> wrote:

          > > Is there any difference between a hyarmen and a
          > > capital yanta? I'm
          >
          > hm?? Tengwar don't have capital versions. Only bigger
          > versions, with some extra ornaments.

          Extra ornaments sounds fun.

          For grades 3 & 4, where the stem is already tall, magnifying the
          character gets kind of crazy, doesn't it?

          David "Daeron" Finnamore
          www.elvenminstrel.com
        • David J. Finnamore
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 24, 2005
            --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, "j_mach_wust" <j_mach_wust@y...> wrote:

            > Looking at DTS 21, it seems not to be important in that mode to
            > distinguish between hyarmen and yanta of increased size. It would be
            > very difficult to read "h" instead of "e", I guess.

            Took me a little bit to figure out the ref to DTS 21. Yes, context
            makes it abundantly clear there. I'm writing out every Sindarin text
            I can find in the mode of Beleriand for practice.

            David "Daeron" Finnamore
            the elf who knew too little [lore]
            www.elvenminstrel.com