Hyarmen & yanta

  • David J. Finnamore
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 23, 2005
      Is there any difference between a hyarmen and a capital yanta? I'm
      having a hard time distinguishing them in my own writing, except by
      context, of course.

      David "Daeron" Finnamore
      www.elvenminstrel.com
    • j_mach_wust
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 24, 2005
        David J. Finnamore wrote:

        > Is there any difference between a hyarmen and a capital yanta? I'm
        > having a hard time distinguishing them in my own writing, except by
        > context, of course.

        What do you mean by a "capital" tengwa? Capital letters are a strange
        peculiarity of the modern Latin alphabet whereby the actual number of
        letters is really doubled since each letter exists in two different
        forms. Though this has been copied in a few alphabets heavily
        influenced by modern Latin (modern Cyrillic and modern Greek), it does
        not exist in tengwar.

        It is attested that certain tengwar may be written bigger, but that's
        not capital letters, that's just the same letters of an increased size.

        Looking at DTS 21, it seems not to be important in that mode to
        distinguish between hyarmen and yanta of increased size. It would be
        very difficult to read "h" instead of "e", I guess.

      • Palatinus
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 24, 2005
          > Is there any difference between a hyarmen and a
          > capital yanta? I'm

          hm?? Tengwar don't have capital versions. Only bigger
          versions, with some extra ornaments.

          Χρησιμοποιείτε Yahoo!;
        • David J. Finnamore
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 24, 2005
            --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, "j_mach_wust" <j_mach_wust@y...> wrote:

            > David J. Finnamore wrote:
            > >
            > > Is there any difference between a hyarmen and a capital yanta? I'm
            > > having a hard time distinguishing them in my own writing, except by
            > > context, of course.
            >
            > What do you mean by a "capital" tengwa? Capital letters are a strange
            > peculiarity of the modern Latin alphabet whereby the actual number of
            > letters is really doubled since each letter exists in two different
            > forms. Though this has been copied in a few alphabets heavily
            > influenced by modern Latin (modern Cyrillic and modern Greek), it does
            > not exist in tengwar.
            >
            > It is attested that certain tengwar may be written bigger, but that's
            > not capital letters, that's just the same letters of an increased size.
            >
            > Looking at DTS 21, it seems not to be important in that mode to
            > distinguish between hyarmen and yanta of increased size. It would be
            > very difficult to read "h" instead of "e", I guess.
            >
            > ---------------------------
            > j. 'mach' wust
            > http://machhezan.tripod.com
            > ---------------------------

            Yes, you're right, of course, I don't mean "capital" in the sense of a
            different character like a and A, just a larger version, like c and C.
            If "capitalized" is technically incorrect, what can we say instead,
            "magnified"? For now, I'll use that, since I can't think of anything
            better straight away. Tolkien seems to have routinely magnified the
            first letters of sentences, and sometimes the first letters of proper
            names, as well. To my eyes, hyarmen looks like simply a magnified
            yanta, or at least a tall yanta. So, when a sentence or name begins
            with yanta, it looks the same as if it were a hyarma. At least it did
            at first. I've begun starting the right arm further up on the stem
            for magnified yantas. Yantai. Yantim. Whatever the plural form
            would be. :-)

            Thanks,

            David "Daeron" Finnamore
            www.elvenminstrel.com

            Yanti, yantí, yantä, ...
          • David J. Finnamore
            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 24, 2005
              --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, Palatinus <elfiness@y...> wrote:

              > > Is there any difference between a hyarmen and a
              > > capital yanta? I'm
              >
              > hm?? Tengwar don't have capital versions. Only bigger
              > versions, with some extra ornaments.

              Extra ornaments sounds fun.

              For grades 3 & 4, where the stem is already tall, magnifying the
              character gets kind of crazy, doesn't it?

              David "Daeron" Finnamore
              www.elvenminstrel.com
            • David J. Finnamore
              Message 6 of 6 , Dec 24, 2005
                --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, "j_mach_wust" <j_mach_wust@y...> wrote:

                > Looking at DTS 21, it seems not to be important in that mode to
                > distinguish between hyarmen and yanta of increased size. It would be
                > very difficult to read "h" instead of "e", I guess.

                Took me a little bit to figure out the ref to DTS 21. Yes, context
                makes it abundantly clear there. I'm writing out every Sindarin text
                I can find in the mode of Beleriand for practice.

                David "Daeron" Finnamore
                the elf who knew too little [lore]
                www.elvenminstrel.com