Re: ÈÝìá: [elfscript] A Elbere th

  • David J. Finnamore
    Message 1 of 12 , Dec 21, 2005
      --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, Palatinus <elfiness@y...> wrote:

      > > combinations. For example, Per Lindberg recommends
      > > placing a line
      > > above 17 for the double n of Ennorath, while the
      > > page
      > > http://www.geocities.com/therealteng/guide.html
      > > shows 17 with a line
      >
      > Since you are talking with the 'General USe' tehtar
      > mode, I think that Lindberg is correct here. The line
      > underneath AFAIK is used in cases other than nasals
      >
      > > underneath. Tolkien seems to leave open the option
      > > of using 21 and 22
      > > for n and m, but I've never seen it done in
      > > practice. I kind of like
      > > that, and tried it for a while.
      >
      > This applies to Mode of Beleriand

      [snip]

      Thanks, Palatinus. After studying the version of /A Elbereth/ that
      Danny sent (http://movies.groups.yahoo.com/group/elfscript/message/5057),
      made by Tolkien himself in the mode used at Imladris, I'm delighted to
      find that it exhibits some of the tendencies I was already developing,
      aside from the major difference of not using tehtar. The left swoop
      under "g", the left curl at the top of "th" and "f", the ways adjacent
      letters are sometimes connected, that sort of thing. I'm a little
      disappointed at having to go with writing out vowels but I'm getting
      used to it. I may have to embellish my melody to keep it from looking
      too sparse above all those characters! :-)

      David "Daeron" Finnamore
      www.elvenminstrel.com
      Message 2 of 12 , Dec 21, 2005
        Viktor Epp wrote:

        > This is in fact supported by the text itself: In RGEO:70 (and back cover)
        the subtitle of the poem is given as "Aerlinn in edhil o Imladris"
        (translated by Helge Fauskanger as *"Hymn of the Elves of Rivendell").

        Yes, it must be either "hymn" (aer-linn = holy-song) OR "sea-song", if
        _aer_ here represents _aear_.

        - HKF
      • David J. Finnamore
        Message 3 of 12 , Dec 23, 2005
          <helge.fauskanger@n...> wrote:

          > Viktor Epp wrote:
          >
          > > This is in fact supported by the text itself: In RGEO:70 (and back
          cover)
          > the subtitle of the poem is given as "Aerlinn in edhil o Imladris"
          > (translated by Helge Fauskanger as *"Hymn of the Elves of Rivendell").
          >
          > Yes, it must be either "hymn" (aer-linn = holy-song) OR "sea-song", if
          > _aer_ here represents _aear_.
          >
          > - HKF

          Well, it's not a sea-song, so it must be a holy song. The sea is
          mentioned, but only geographically. A longer version of it was sung
          by Gildor's folk while walking at night under the trees and stars,
          which are also mentioned in the text. Too bad it's only given in
          English there. Formally, it's quite clearly a hymn, in the historical
          meaning of the term: a song of praise.

          David "Daeron" Finnamore
          www.elvenminstrel.com