Re: A Elbereth

  • David J. Finnamore
    Message 1 of 12 , Dec 20, 2005
      --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, "i_degilbor"
      <Uialdil_i_degilbor@m...> wrote:
      > Here is Tolkien's calligraphic tengwar rendering of 'A Elbereth':
      >

      > http://pic6.picturetrail.com/VOL164/1356691/5803627/122340787.jpg
      >
      > The tehtar and punctuation marks are higher than they should be.
      > That's how they appeared in the original edition of 'The Road Goes
      > Ever On'.
      >
      > Cuio mae, Danny.

      Oh, thank you, thank you, Danny!

      BTW, I drooled embarrassingly over your web pages of elvish
      calligraphy. I can never hope to be that good, but it's exactly the
      sort of thing I'm picturing in my mind for the A Elbereth manuscript,
      esp andries_adarnin.jpg. That look with enough space between lines to
      add neumes. Aaaaghhghhh like Homer Simpson over a carmel baloney
      sandwich. Or better, like Sam G over a pot of stewed coneys WITH
      smelly leaves.
    • Palatinus
      Message 2 of 12 , Dec 21, 2005
        > combinations. For example, Per Lindberg recommends
        > placing a line
        > above 17 for the double n of Ennorath, while the
        > page
        > http://www.geocities.com/therealteng/guide.html
        > shows 17 with a line

        Since you are talking with the 'General USe' tehtar
        mode, I think that Lindberg is correct here. The line
        underneath AFAIK is used in cases other than nasals

        > underneath. Tolkien seems to leave open the option
        > of using 21 and 22
        > for n and m, but I've never seen it done in
        > practice. I kind of like
        > that, and tried it for a while.

        This applies to Mode of Beleriand

        > The most "authentic" approach would depend on what
        > era and location
        > the manuscript is supposed to be from, right? Let's

        yes, if you like to have some 'fan fiction' backstory
        behind your manuscript, as many like to do in
        Gwaith-i-phethdain sebsite.

        > assume it was
        > made at Imladris, middle Third Age, since we don't
        > know whether the
        > Hall of Fire version of /A Elbereth/ is much older
        > than that (do we?).
        > Am I right that it would use the so called mode of
        > Gondor, with tehta
        > vowels? Any other pointers?

        i have the impression that many, or most, consider the
        Sindarin tehtar modes to be invented by Men. If that's
        correct, the only authentic ELvish Sindarin mode
        known, is the Beleriandic one.

        It's a complicated subject, and there have been some
        recent publishing concerning the 'General Use'. I'd
        like to hear other opinions about this.

        Message 3 of 12 , Dec 21, 2005
          --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, Palatinus <elfiness@y...> wrote:

          > > combinations. For example, Per Lindberg recommends
          > > placing a line
          > > above 17 for the double n of Ennorath, while the
          > > page
          > > http://www.geocities.com/therealteng/guide.html
          > > shows 17 with a line
          >
          > Since you are talking with the 'General USe' tehtar
          > mode, I think that Lindberg is correct here. The line
          > underneath AFAIK is used in cases other than nasals
          >
          > > underneath. Tolkien seems to leave open the option
          > > of using 21 and 22
          > > for n and m, but I've never seen it done in
          > > practice. I kind of like
          > > that, and tried it for a while.
          >
          > This applies to Mode of Beleriand

          [snip]

          Thanks, Palatinus. After studying the version of /A Elbereth/ that
          Danny sent (http://movies.groups.yahoo.com/group/elfscript/message/5057),
          made by Tolkien himself in the mode used at Imladris, I'm delighted to
          find that it exhibits some of the tendencies I was already developing,
          aside from the major difference of not using tehtar. The left swoop
          under "g", the left curl at the top of "th" and "f", the ways adjacent
          letters are sometimes connected, that sort of thing. I'm a little
          disappointed at having to go with writing out vowels but I'm getting
          used to it. I may have to embellish my melody to keep it from looking
          too sparse above all those characters! :-)

          David "Daeron" Finnamore
          www.elvenminstrel.com
          Message 4 of 12 , Dec 21, 2005
            Viktor Epp wrote:

            > This is in fact supported by the text itself: In RGEO:70 (and back cover)
            the subtitle of the poem is given as "Aerlinn in edhil o Imladris"
            (translated by Helge Fauskanger as *"Hymn of the Elves of Rivendell").

            Yes, it must be either "hymn" (aer-linn = holy-song) OR "sea-song", if
            _aer_ here represents _aear_.

            - HKF
          • David J. Finnamore
            Message 5 of 12 , Dec 23, 2005
              <helge.fauskanger@n...> wrote:

              > Viktor Epp wrote:
              >
              > > This is in fact supported by the text itself: In RGEO:70 (and back
              cover)
              > the subtitle of the poem is given as "Aerlinn in edhil o Imladris"
              > (translated by Helge Fauskanger as *"Hymn of the Elves of Rivendell").
              >
              > Yes, it must be either "hymn" (aer-linn = holy-song) OR "sea-song", if
              > _aer_ here represents _aear_.
              >
              > - HKF

              Well, it's not a sea-song, so it must be a holy song. The sea is
              mentioned, but only geographically. A longer version of it was sung
              by Gildor's folk while walking at night under the trees and stars,
              which are also mentioned in the text. Too bad it's only given in
              English there. Formally, it's quite clearly a hymn, in the historical
              meaning of the term: a song of praise.

              David "Daeron" Finnamore
              www.elvenminstrel.com