Θέμα: Re: [elfscript] Beleriand mode

  • Palatinus
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 19, 2005
      > I'm probably showing my ignorance, here, but there
      > doesn't appear to
      > be any conflict between the idea that the tengwar
      > were invented prior
      > to the exile, and the idea that the cirth were based
      > on them. In the

      The Grey Annals, or the Annals of Aman say that the
      runes were invented before the Exile.

      > case of either or both, they could have been used by
      > the Noldor in
      > Beleriand. Clearly they were used by somebody in
      > Beleriand or there
      > would be no Beleriand mode. Why would we suppose

      Yes, but by the Noldor :) I have always thought that
      it's called 'of Beleriand' because it started to
      develop after the Exile, in Beleriand

      > that Thingol's
      > courtiers would be ignorant of the manner of writing
      > of surrounding
      > people groups, whether they be elf, dwarf, or man?
      > Does it say
      > somewhere that the Grey Elves wrote by engraving but
      > didn't write on
      > parchment or whatever? I've read /The Silmarillion/

      I don't see any indication that the Sindar *did not*
      write in tengwar, but I take in account that Thingol
      banned the usage of Quenya in his kingdom. It's only
      logical to believe that he wouldn't make an exception
      on the matter of writing.

      What is for sure, is that the Grey Annals were writen
      in Runes.

      > Where do find out
      > that kind of stuff?

      HoMe

      Χρησιμοποιείτε Yahoo!;
    • David J. Finnamore
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 20, 2005
        --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, Palatinus <elfiness@y...> wrote:
        > > Where do find out
        > > that kind of stuff?
        >
        > HoMe

        Well, then, I guess it's time for Daeron to go HoMe. First I've got
        to get those blasted movie images out of my mind to be sure I end up
        in the Tolkiens' M-e, not Jackson's. Then click my heels together
        three times and say... no, wait, that was another story.

        OK, JIC. There's no place like HoMe, there's no place like...
      • Palatinus
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 21, 2005
          > Well, then, I guess it's time for Daeron to go HoMe.
          > First I've got
          > to get those blasted movie images out of my mind to
          > be sure I end up
          > in the Tolkiens' M-e, not Jackson's. Then click my

          If you want my opinion, Jackson's M-e is different
          from Tolkien's only in story and facts. I don't think
          that visually the movies differ much from the M-e we
          all have in our minds (mostly inspired by Lee's and
          Howe's drawings)

          Χρησιμοποιείτε Yahoo!;
        • David J. Finnamore
          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 21, 2005
            --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, Palatinus <elfiness@y...> wrote:

            > > Well, then, I guess it's time for Daeron to go HoMe.
            > > First I've got
            > > to get those blasted movie images out of my mind to
            > > be sure I end up
            > > in the Tolkiens' M-e, not Jackson's. Then click my
            >
            > If you want my opinion, Jackson's M-e is different
            > from Tolkien's only in story and facts. I don't think
            > that visually the movies differ much from the M-e we
            > all have in our minds (mostly inspired by Lee's and
            > Howe's drawings)

            I think you're right. I'll reply direct since this is getting a
            little OT.