Re: [elfscript] Digest Number 1168

  • alexandra saftoiu
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 8, 2005
      Hi Kylah and welcome,

      if you are looking for a name translation there is one name translator on the web that takes a name, and according to its meaning translates it into Quenya. I don't know the address but you'll find it with google. There are other name translators but this is the most documented as it really involves the origin of avery name.

      I have the document and i found in it the following:

      ADELAIDE (f.) - Old Ger. 'noble kind/sort'; ar- "noble"; nostale "kind, species", thus

      Arnostale; the second part of the name might mean 'person', which would be easier to translate into Quenya: -quen "person", -wen "maiden", hence Arquen or Arwen (a well-known name); alternatively, arta "noble" might be used instead of ar- and nis "woman", hence Artanis (which is nothing but one of Galadriel's names

      ALICE, ALICIA, ALISON (f.) - arisen from ADELAIDE (q.v.), thus Arnostale or Arquen or Arwen or Artanis

      ALINDA (f.) - Old Ger. 'noble + soft'; ar- "noble"; for "soft" we have musse from the very late course, however, the early source Qenya Lexicon lists a word linda (cf. Old Ger. lind "soft, tender"!) "gentle, kind, soft", thus Allinde or Allinda (rl assimilates to ll) or even Alinda would be possible!

      ALISHA (f.) - probably a feminine variant of ELISHA (q.v.), thus Erufaile

      BEATRICE, BEATRIX (f.) - maybe Latin 'bringer of joy'; alasse "joy"; ante "[she] giver", thus Alassante

      BEL, BELLE - French 'beauty, beautiful'; váne, vanya "beautiful", so Váne or Vanye

      Good luck

      Hey,
      I am really new to all this but find the elvish languages absolutely
      beautiful. I am trying to find someone who can help me translate my
      daughters name into elvish for special present to her. Her name is
      Alyssa Belle. If any one could please help me i would be extremely
      grateful.
      Thanks
      Kylah

    • Kylah-Rose Taylor
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 8, 2005
        Thank you so much. I really appreciate the effort you have gone to for me.
        I will look that up right now!
        Love Kylah

        alexandra saftoiu <allixme@...> wrote:

[...]

        Lord of the rings movies Science fiction movies Science fiction movie poster