Θέμα: [elfscript] Re: help me with my name pls

  • Palatinus
    Message 1 of 12 , Oct 26, 2005
      the word 'fairytale' is anglicism and is not always
      literal. The word doesn't always mean 'story about
      fairies' but any child's or nursering tale. In other
      languages there are words for 'fairytale' that are not
      connected to the word fairy. For example the greek
      word 'paramythi' that means more or less 'little
      myth'. So I doubt that the literal meaning of the
      Persian word would be 'fairy tale', i guess it rather
      means 'child fable' or something similar.

      I think the word Eldanyare is way off

      > 1. It is a woman's name :) and it is a very old
      > persian name.
      > 2. You can divide it and have fairy=elf and tale.I
      > found the elvish
      > words for elf=elda and tale=nyαrλ. I hope that it is
      > correct. Now that
      > I have done my homework kan you help me?
      >
      > thx for the link :)

      Χρησιμοποιείτε Yahoo!;
    • Melroch 'Aestan
      Message 2 of 12 , Oct 26, 2005
        Palatinus skrev:
        > the word 'fairytale' is anglicism and is not always
        > literal. The word doesn't always mean 'story about
        > fairies' but any child's or nursering tale. In other
        > languages there are words for 'fairytale' that are not
        > connected to the word fairy. For example the greek
        > word 'paramythi' that means more or less 'little
        > myth'. So I doubt that the literal meaning of the
        > Persian word would be 'fairy tale', i guess it rather
        > means 'child fable' or something similar.
        >
        > I think the word Eldanyare is way off

        I tend to agree, and would suggest Nyáriel
        "tale-woman". It fits better in style to
        Tolkien's Elvish names too.

        To see it written in Tengwar go to
        <http://movies.groups.yahoo.com/group/elfscript/files/Melroch/>
        and look at the file "nyaariel.gif"

        --

        /BP 8^)>
        A h-ammen ledin i phith! \ \
        Message 3 of 12 , Oct 28, 2005
          after looking more for a more sutaible translation of my name I found
          out that the words fable and myth are the correct translation but I
          can't find them :(

          --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, Melroch 'Aestan <melroch@m...> wrote:

          > Palatinus skrev:
          > > the word 'fairytale' is anglicism and is not always
          > > literal. The word doesn't always mean 'story about
          > > fairies' but any child's or nursering tale. In other
          > > languages there are words for 'fairytale' that are not
          > > connected to the word fairy. For example the greek
          > > word 'paramythi' that means more or less 'little
          > > myth'. So I doubt that the literal meaning of the
          > > Persian word would be 'fairy tale', i guess it rather
          > > means 'child fable' or something similar.
          > >
          > > I think the word Eldanyare is way off
          >
          > I tend to agree, and would suggest Nyáriel
          > "tale-woman". It fits better in style to
          > Tolkien's Elvish names too.
          >
          > To see it written in Tengwar go to
          > <http://movies.groups.yahoo.com/group/elfscript/files/Melroch/>
          > and look at the file "nyaariel.gif"
          >
          > >>1. It is a woman's name :) and it is a very old
          > >>persian name.
          > >>2. You can divide it and have fairy=elf and tale.I
          > >>found the elvish
          > >>words for elf=elda and tale=nyαrλ. I hope that it is
          > >>correct. Now that
          > >> I have done my homework kan you help me?
          > >>
          > >>thx for the link :)
          > >>

          > --
          >
          > /BP 8^)>
          > --
          > Benct Philip Jonsson -- melroch at melroch dot se
          > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~__
          > A h-ammen ledin i phith! \ \
          > __ ____ ____ _____________ ____ __ __ __ / /
          > \ \/___ \\__ \ /___ _____/\ \\__ \\ \ \ \\ \ / /
          > / / / / / \ / /Melroch\ \_/ // / / // / / /
          > / /___/ /_ / /\ \ / /Roccondil\_ // /__/ // /__/ /
          > /_________//_/ \_\/ /Eowine __ / / \___/\_\\___/\_\
          > Gwaedhvenn Angeliniel\ \______/ /a/ /_h-adar Merthol naun
          > ~~~~~~~~~Kuinondil~~~\________/~~\__/~~~Noolendur~~~~~~
          > || Lenda lenda pellalenda pellatellenda kuivie aiya! ||
          > "A coincidence, as we say in Middle-Earth" (JRR Tolkien)

        • Melroch 'Aestan
          Message 4 of 12 , Oct 28, 2005
            magicbutterflie skrev:
            > after looking more for a more sutaible translation of my name I found
            > out that the words fable and myth are the correct translation but I
            > can't find them :(

            There are very many words "missing" from Elvish vocabulary,
            either because (1) Tolkien thaught the Elves didn't have the
            concept in question or -- more often in fact -- because (2)
            no word for that concept has as yet been published as yet or
            (3) Tolkien simply never invented such a word or (4) he
            invented the word but never wrote it down on a paper that
            he also kept. In such a case we have to use a compound
            word or the nearest synonym, and I do think that in this
            case "tale" is a near enough synonym, especially as one
            has to take into account that it should sound like a
            possible Elvish name. You could of course put _Vala-_
            "god/angel" or _Kelva-_ "animal" in front of Nyáriel,
            but I see no real nead for that -- it only sounds clumsy.

            Remember that the Elves *knew* the Valar (the Angelic Powers),
            so for them there was no such thing as "myth". What for us
            would be myths was factual tales for them!

            --

            /BP 8^)>
            A h-ammen ledin i phith! \ \
            Message 5 of 12 , Oct 28, 2005
              > Remember that the Elves *knew* the Valar (the
              > Angelic Powers),
              > so for them there was no such thing as "myth". What
              > for us
              > would be myths was factual tales for them!

              What about the Cuivienyarna (no, this is not my
              suggestion for the name :)) about the first elves?
              This is certainly a 'myth' told to young Elves

              Χρησιμοποιείτε Yahoo!;
            • Palatinus
              Message 6 of 12 , Oct 28, 2005

                Message 7 of 12 , Oct 28, 2005
                  thank you for the translation :)
                  I'm happy with the nyáriel. It is going to be a beautiful tattoo :)

                  --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, "magicbutterflie"

                  Message 8 of 12 , Oct 28, 2005
                    magicbutterflie skrev:
                    > thank you for the translation :)
                    > I'm happy with the nyáriel. It is going to be a beautiful tattoo :)

                    If you are going to write it permanently on your skin
                    I hope you noticed that the two words in the image I made
                    are actually THE SAME WORD WRITTEN TWICE in two different
                    styles of writing!

                    /Melroch

                    --

                    /BP 8^)>
                    A h-ammen ledin i phith! \ \
                    Message 9 of 12 , Nov 4, 2005
                      :) I noticed that :) I haven't done it yet but soooon .....