help me with my name pls

  • magicbutterflie
    Message 1 of 12 , Oct 24, 2005
      Hi,
      I'm looking för translation of my name. My name is Afsaneh and it means fairy tale. I would like to know the translation in quenya (elvish word for fairy tale).

      I would be grateful for any help :)

    • Melroch 'Aestan
      Message 2 of 12 , Oct 24, 2005
        magicbutterflie skrev:
        > Hi,
        > I'm looking för translation of my name. My name is Afsaneh and it means fairy tale. I would like to know the translation in quenya (elvish word for fairy tale).
        >

        > I would be grateful for any help :)

        Is it a man's name or a womans name, and what language is it?

        And BTW do your homework, and look up suitable words yourself,
        then we can help you turn it into a real name and transcribe it.

        See Helge Fauskanger's wordlist:
        <http://www.uib.no/People/hnohf/eng-quen.rtf>

        --

        /BP 8^)>
        A h-ammen ledin i phith! \ \
        Message 3 of 12 , Oct 26, 2005
          --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, Melroch 'Aestan <melroch@m...> wrote:

          > magicbutterflie skrev:
          > > Hi,
          > > I'm looking för translation of my name. My name is Afsaneh and it
          means fairy tale. I would like to know the translation in quenya
          (elvish word for fairy tale).

          > > I would be grateful for any help :)
          >
          > Is it a man's name or a womans name, and what language is it?
          >
          > And BTW do your homework, and look up suitable words yourself,
          > then we can help you turn it into a real name and transcribe it.
          >
          > See Helge Fauskanger's wordlist:
          > <http://www.uib.no/People/hnohf/eng-quen.rtf>

          1. It is a woman's name :) and it is a very old persian name.
          2. You can divide it and have fairy=elf and tale.I found the elvish
          words for elf=elda and tale=nyárë. I hope that it is correct. Now that
          I have done my homework kan you help me?

          thx for the link :)
        • Palatinus
          Message 4 of 12 , Oct 26, 2005
            the word 'fairytale' is anglicism and is not always
            literal. The word doesn't always mean 'story about
            fairies' but any child's or nursering tale. In other
            languages there are words for 'fairytale' that are not
            connected to the word fairy. For example the greek
            word 'paramythi' that means more or less 'little
            myth'. So I doubt that the literal meaning of the
            Persian word would be 'fairy tale', i guess it rather
            means 'child fable' or something similar.

            I think the word Eldanyare is way off

            > 1. It is a woman's name :) and it is a very old
            > persian name.
            > 2. You can divide it and have fairy=elf and tale.I
            > found the elvish
            > words for elf=elda and tale=nyαrλ. I hope that it is
            > correct. Now that
            > I have done my homework kan you help me?
            >
            > thx for the link :)

            Χρησιμοποιείτε Yahoo!;
          • Melroch 'Aestan
            Message 5 of 12 , Oct 26, 2005
              Palatinus skrev:
              > the word 'fairytale' is anglicism and is not always
              > literal. The word doesn't always mean 'story about
              > fairies' but any child's or nursering tale. In other
              > languages there are words for 'fairytale' that are not
              > connected to the word fairy. For example the greek
              > word 'paramythi' that means more or less 'little
              > myth'. So I doubt that the literal meaning of the
              > Persian word would be 'fairy tale', i guess it rather
              > means 'child fable' or something similar.
              >
              > I think the word Eldanyare is way off

              I tend to agree, and would suggest Nyáriel
              "tale-woman". It fits better in style to
              Tolkien's Elvish names too.

              To see it written in Tengwar go to
              <http://movies.groups.yahoo.com/group/elfscript/files/Melroch/>
              and look at the file "nyaariel.gif"

              --

              /BP 8^)>
              A h-ammen ledin i phith! \ \
              Message 6 of 12 , Oct 28, 2005
                after looking more for a more sutaible translation of my name I found
                out that the words fable and myth are the correct translation but I
                can't find them :(

              • Melroch 'Aestan
                Message 7 of 12 , Oct 28, 2005
                  magicbutterflie skrev:
                  > after looking more for a more sutaible translation of my name I found
                  > out that the words fable and myth are the correct translation but I
                  > can't find them :(

                  There are very many words "missing" from Elvish vocabulary,
                  either because (1) Tolkien thaught the Elves didn't have the
                  concept in question or -- more often in fact -- because (2)
                  no word for that concept has as yet been published as yet or
                  (3) Tolkien simply never invented such a word or (4) he
                  invented the word but never wrote it down on a paper that
                  he also kept. In such a case we have to use a compound
                  word or the nearest synonym, and I do think that in this
                  case "tale" is a near enough synonym, especially as one
                  has to take into account that it should sound like a
                  possible Elvish name. You could of course put _Vala-_
                  "god/angel" or _Kelva-_ "animal" in front of Nyáriel,
                  but I see no real nead for that -- it only sounds clumsy.

                  Remember that the Elves *knew* the Valar (the Angelic Powers),
                  so for them there was no such thing as "myth". What for us
                  would be myths was factual tales for them!

                  --

                  /BP 8^)>
                  A h-ammen ledin i phith! \ \
                  Message 8 of 12 , Oct 28, 2005
                    > Remember that the Elves *knew* the Valar (the
                    > Angelic Powers),
                    > so for them there was no such thing as "myth". What
                    > for us
                    > would be myths was factual tales for them!

                    What about the Cuivienyarna (no, this is not my
                    suggestion for the name :)) about the first elves?
                    This is certainly a 'myth' told to young Elves

                    Χρησιμοποιείτε Yahoo!;
                  • Palatinus
                    Message 9 of 12 , Oct 28, 2005

                      Message 10 of 12 , Oct 28, 2005
                        thank you for the translation :)
                        I'm happy with the nyáriel. It is going to be a beautiful tattoo :)

                        --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, "magicbutterflie"

                        Message 11 of 12 , Oct 28, 2005
                          magicbutterflie skrev:
                          > thank you for the translation :)
                          > I'm happy with the nyáriel. It is going to be a beautiful tattoo :)

                          If you are going to write it permanently on your skin
                          I hope you noticed that the two words in the image I made
                          are actually THE SAME WORD WRITTEN TWICE in two different
                          styles of writing!

                          /Melroch

                          --

                          /BP 8^)>
                          A h-ammen ledin i phith! \ \
                          Message 12 of 12 , Nov 4, 2005
                            :) I noticed that :) I haven't done it yet but soooon .....