Please help with Name Translation

  • Brian Atkinson
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 22, 2005
      Hello,
      I have been reading through the archived messages here about
      translating names into elvish (Quenya specifically). I've done a
      little reading and found the elvish name book
      (http://www.elvish.org/elm/names and
      http://www.uib.no/People/hnohf/elfnam.htm) which had translations of
      my name (Brian/Poldon) and my wive's name (Melissa/Nione or Niere).
      However, I couldn't find a translation of my daughter's name Aubrey.
      It is Old French or Old German and means "Elf or supernatural being,
      power." Originally a man's name, the Germanic Alberic, that arrived
      in England with the Norman Conquest. This was the name, according to
      Germanic mythology, of the king of the elves. I also looked under
      related names (Avery and others) and found nothing.

      I believe I managed to come up with the coding of my wife's name and
      my name, but I am looking for help in translating Aubrey into Quenya.

      Brian - Strong - Poldon - qjY25^
      Melissa - honey-bee - Nione - 5`B5^`V
      Aubrey - ??? - ??? - ???

      I guess step one is asking for help in the elvish word that would best
      be the equivalent of Aubrey. I don't think it would make much sense
      to directly translate it as meaning elf or supernatural being, so
      perhaps a word referring to an elvish ruler (or elvish queen) might be
      the best translation. I am certainly open to suggestion.

      Thanks in advance,
      Brian
    • Melroch 'Aestan
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 22, 2005
        Brian Atkinson skrev:

        > Brian - Strong - Poldon - qjY25^
        > Melissa - honey-bee - Nione - 5`B5^`V

        These should rather be spelled qYmY5 and 5%`N5$
        since they are Quenya, which has different spelling
        rules from Sindarin and English

        > Aubrey - ??? - ??? - ???
        >
        > I guess step one is asking for help in the elvish word that would best
        > be the equivalent of Aubrey. I don't think it would make much sense
        > to directly translate it as meaning elf or supernatural being, so
        > perhaps a word referring to an elvish ruler (or elvish queen) might be
        > the best translation. I am certainly open to suggestion.
        >
        > Thanks in advance,
        > Brian

        Since Aubrey means "Elf-king" it should be translated accordingly
        as Eldatar `Vm#1E6 (both masculine and feminine) or Eldatári
        `Vm#1E6T (feminine).

        --

        /BP 8^)>
        A h-ammen ledin i phith! \ \
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 23, 2005
          Melroch 'Aestan skrev:

          > Since Aubrey means "Elf-king" it should be translated accordingly
          > as Eldatar `Vm#1E6 (both masculine and feminine) or Eldatári
          > `Vm#1E6T (feminine).
          ^^^^^^^^

          Sorry I forgot the long á in the code for Eldatári, it should be

          `Vm#1`C6T

          --

          /BP 8^)>
          A h-ammen ledin i phith! \ \
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 23, 2005
            --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, Melroch 'Aestan <melroch@m...> wrote:

            Awesome, thanks for your help!

            > Melroch 'Aestan skrev:
            >

            > > Since Aubrey means "Elf-king" it should be translated accordingly
            > > as Eldatar `Vm#1E6 (both masculine and feminine) or Eldatári
            > > `Vm#1E6T (feminine).
            > ^^^^^^^^
            >
            > Sorry I forgot the long á in the code for Eldatári, it should be
            >
            > `Vm#1`C6T

          • Brian Atkinson
            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 23, 2005
              --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, Melroch 'Aestan <melroch@m...> wrote:

              I put the names up at http://www.brainsinaknot.com/baby/elvish.bmp
              (sorry for the bandwidth, its 208K, but I wanted to go BMP to save
              every pixel). Do they look correct, with Poldon, then Niere, then
              Eldatar/Eldatári below?

              On a side note, my original attempt at encoding Poldon and Niere came
              from http://www.tengwar.art.pl/tengwar/ott/start.php with Tengwar
              Quenya selected as the output.

              Thanks again!

              Brian

              > Melroch 'Aestan skrev:
              >

              > > Since Aubrey means "Elf-king" it should be translated accordingly
              > > as Eldatar `Vm#1E6 (both masculine and feminine) or Eldatári
              > > `Vm#1E6T (feminine).
              > ^^^^^^^^
              >
              > Sorry I forgot the long á in the code for Eldatári, it should be
              >
              > `Vm#1`C6T
              >

              > --
              >
              > /BP 8^)>
              > --
              > Benct Philip Jonsson -- melroch at melroch dot se
              > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~__
              > A h-ammen ledin i phith! \ \
              > __ ____ ____ _____________ ____ __ __ __ / /
              > \ \/___ \\__ \ /___ _____/\ \\__ \\ \ \ \\ \ / /
              > / / / / / \ / /Melroch\ \_/ // / / // / / /
              > / /___/ /_ / /\ \ / /Roccondil\_ // /__/ // /__/ /
              > /_________//_/ \_\/ /Eowine __ / / \___/\_\\___/\_\
              > Gwaedhvenn Angeliniel\ \______/ /a/ /_h-adar Merthol naun
              > ~~~~~~~~~Kuinondil~~~\________/~~\__/~~~Noolendur~~~~~~
              > || Lenda lenda pellalenda pellatellenda kuivie aiya! ||
              > "A coincidence, as we say in Middle-Earth" (JRR Tolkien)

            • Melroch 'Aestan
              Message 6 of 7 , Oct 24, 2005
                Brian Atkinson skrev:
                > --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, Melroch 'Aestan <melroch@m...> wrote:
                >
                > I put the names up at http://www.brainsinaknot.com/baby/elvish.bmp
                > (sorry for the bandwidth, its 208K, but I wanted to go BMP to save
                > every pixel). Do they look correct, with Poldon, then Niere, then
                > Eldatar/Eldatári below?

                There are some errors but they are entirely my bad; I thought I could
                enter those codes without actually looking at them in a Tengwar font...
                I have uploaded a file with the correct spellings and transcriptions to
                <http://movies.groups.yahoo.com/group/elfscript/files/Melroch/>.
                Look in the file "poldon.gif".

                I'm not sure if you wanted Nione or Niere so I put in both.

                BTW if Aubrey is a girl I strongly recommend the form
                Eldatári, since Eldatar looks masculine whatever is
                said of -tar theoretically being both feminine and masculine.

                > On a side note, my original attempt at encoding Poldon and Niere came
                > from http://www.tengwar.art.pl/tengwar/ott/start.php with Tengwar
                > Quenya selected as the output.

                You have to select the right mode/input language too.
                In this case Quenya

                --

                /BP 8^)>
                A h-ammen ledin i phith! \ \
                Message 7 of 7 , Oct 24, 2005
                  Melroch,
                  Thank you so much for all of your help! I am going to find someone
                  to help me work it into a treelike design, with my name and my
                  wife's name feeding into our daughters name. I'll post something
                  here when I get somewhere with it.

                  Thanks Again!
                  Brian