Re: Seize the day [was: help me with elvish tattoo...]

  • j_mach_wust
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 21, 2005

      > Some time ago we discussed this but Jeff hasn't replied since then so I
      > let the matter have gone. Now, when re-asked, I corrected the original
      > task, which can now be found in the Files section of this group:
      > calwen76/Jeff_revised.gif
      >
      > Please, if still wrong... I'm opened for discussion.
      >
      > Thanks, Lucy
      >
      > P.S. the direct link is:

      Good transcription. You could also write the _ei_ of the word _seize_
      with a single vowel sign (with the e-tehta on anna) since you've done
      so with the other vowel sequences.

      I see one little error: You've transcribed _yaers_ instead of _years_.

      The transcriptions of _replied_ and _carried_ are fine, yet they might
      be discussed, since one might analyze them as _repli/carri_ + _ed_,
      that is, long carrier with i-tehta above, ando with e-tehta above, in
      order to preserve the original word forms... which, however, are
      rather _reply/carry_... We can only hope that an analogous case will
      be published one day.

    • Palatinus
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 21, 2005
        I think that the person who asks for the tattoo,
        wanted a translation in Quenya, not English tengwar.

        It seems that he put the english phrase in the
        transcriber hoping that it would translate it, which
        only transcribed the letter in a Quenya manner.

        Χρησιμοποιείτε Yahoo!;
      • residentisz21
        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 21, 2005

          > Some time ago we discussed this but Jeff hasn't replied since then so I
          > let the matter have gone. Now, when re-asked, I corrected the original
          > task, which can now be found in the Files section of this group:
          > calwen76/Jeff_revised.gif
          >
          > Please, if still wrong... I'm opened for discussion.
          >
          > Thanks, Lucy
          >
          > P.S. the direct link is:

          my PC crashed shortly after and I didn't have the $$ to get a new one
          until a couple months back and now I've just found this forum again..

          thanks Lucy!

          I'm just going to get the "Seize the Day" one done for now.

          thanks for everyone's help in getting this accomplished.

          jeff
          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 23, 2005
            --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, "j_mach_wust" <j_mach_wust@y...>
            wrote:
            > Good transcription. You could also write the _ei_ of the word _seize_
            > with a single vowel sign (with the e-tehta on anna) since you've done
            > so with the other vowel sequences.
            >
            > I see one little error: You've transcribed _yaers_ instead of _years_.
            >
            > The transcriptions of _replied_ and _carried_ are fine, yet they
            > might be discussed, since one might analyze them as _repli/carri_ +
            > _ed_, that is, long carrier with i-tehta above, ando with e-tehta
            > above, in order to preserve the original word forms... which,
            > however, are rather _reply/carry_... We can only hope that an
            > analogous case will be published one day.

            Thank you for your comments. However, I have corrected the old
            transcription following your Elfscript posts #4540 and 4542... Now I
            don't quite understand the thing about the _ea_ diphthong. I'd be glad
            if you could explain how should I transcribe it. :-)

            Thanks!
            Message 5 of 10 , Oct 23, 2005
              --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, Palatinus <elfiness@y...> wrote:
              > I think that the person who asks for the tattoo,
              > wanted a translation in Quenya, not English tengwar.

              Actually, Jeff has never stated whether he wants the Quenya or the
              English transcription. I think he simply doesn't realise where is the
              difference and since the transcribers offer "Tengwar Quenya"
              or "Tengwar Sindarin", one can't actually be surprised that some
              people may use this distinction...
              On the other hand, I rather transcribe the English sentence than an
              unattested Quenya sentence.

              > It seems that he put the english phrase in the
              > transcriber hoping that it would translate it, which
              > only transcribed the letter in a Quenya manner.

              Well, you probably didn't switch the code into Tengwar, did you? No,
              it didn't transcribe the letters in a Quenya manner, in fact, it
              transcribed the letters in a letter-by-letter (it means in no)
              manner. :-)

              Lucy
            • j_mach_wust
              Message 6 of 10 , Oct 24, 2005
                Lucy wrote:
                > Now I
                > don't quite understand the thing about the _ea_ diphthong. I'd be
                > glad if you could explain how should I transcribe it. :-)

                According to DTS 62, it's e-tehta on stemless calma (the c-shaped tengwa).

                kry@s:
                Message 7 of 10 , Oct 24, 2005
                  I wrote today:
                  > > Now I
                  > > don't quite understand the thing about the _ea_ diphthong. I'd be
                  > > glad if you could explain how should I transcribe it. :-)
                  Mach replied today:
                  > According to DTS 62, it's e-tehta on stemless calma (the c-shaped
                  > tengwa).
                  -----------------------------------
                  My answer:

                  You wrote in #4540:
                  > > Consistency matters:
                  > > The 'stemless calma' in "years" would rather correspond to a yanta
                  > > in "replied" and "carried".

                  I replied in #4541:
                  > I used the stemless calma + accute according to DTS 62 ("Eagles"). I
                  > don't quite understand your reasoning.

                  You answered in #4542:
                  In the same specimen, the _e_ that follows a vowel is expressed by
                  yanta ("Michael").
                  ----------------------------------
                  So can we agree on that the _years_ should be written with stemless
                  calma with an accute accent as I originally (#4539) transcribed? :-)

                  Lucy
                • j_mach_wust
                  Message 8 of 10 , Oct 24, 2005
                    Lucy wrote:
                    > You wrote in #4540:
                    > > > Consistency matters:
                    > > > The 'stemless calma' in "years" would rather correspond to a
                    > > > yanta in "replied" and "carried".

                    Oh, I'm very sorry I couldn't express myself comprehensively: I meant
                    to say that if you transcribe vowel + a with stemless calma, then you
                    should transcribe vowel + e with yanta.

                    > So can we agree on that the _years_ should be written with stemless
                    > calma with an accute accent as I originally (#4539) transcribed? :-)

                    Certainly! And again: I'm sorry for the confusion!

                  • Palatinus
                    Message 9 of 10 , Oct 24, 2005
                      > Well, you probably didn't switch the code into
                      > Tengwar, did you? No,
                      > it didn't transcribe the letters in a Quenya manner,
                      > in fact, it
                      > transcribed the letters in a letter-by-letter (it
                      > means in no)
                      > manner. :-)

                      letter-by-letter (at least in that case) is what i
                      call Quenya manner. If the phrase had 'ngw' of course
                      we would see an ungwe.

                      Χρησιμοποιείτε Yahoo!;