Translation

  • Daniel King
    Message 1 of 19 , Oct 10, 2005
      I've been trying to teach myself a little bit of Elvish to try to translate something from English to Quenya. The following is what I tried to translate:

      Be faithful unto death and (I will give you)
      Na veronda tenna qualmë ar (tye antuvinyë)

      the crown of life.
      i ríë (-ya-) cuilë.

      I was confused on two points (but probably wrong in more than one). The frist is where I had a simple future conjugated verb between two pronouns. I believe I cojugated the verb correctly (antuva-will give you) but I wasn't sure if I should add the "I" pronoun to the end of the verb and have the "you" pronoun precede the full conjugation or if it should be written differently. The second point was at the preposition. I believe that "ya" is the correct form to use but I am
      confused as to where this form would go.

      Any input would be helpful.

      The only reason some people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

    • Måns Björkman
      Message 2 of 19 , Oct 10, 2005
        This should probably rather be discussed on Elfling, but...

        --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, Daniel King <placibonin@y...> wrote:

        > I've been trying to teach myself a little bit of Elvish to try to
        translate something from English to Quenya. The following is what I
        tried to translate:

        > Be faithful unto death and (I will give you)
        > Na veronda tenna qualmë ar (tye antuvinyë)
        >
        > the crown of life.
        > i ríë (-ya-) cuilë.

        There is little to object to in this translation. I suggest the
        following slight rephrasing:
        _Na voronda tenna qualme ar tye antuvanye [i] ríe cuileva_

        > I was confused on two points (but probably wrong in more than one).
        The frist is where I had a simple future conjugated verb between two
        pronouns. I believe I cojugated the verb correctly (antuva-will give
        you) but I wasn't sure if I should add the "I" pronoun to the end of
        the verb and have the "you" pronoun precede the full conjugation or if
        it should be written differently.

        I'd say you used a correct solution. The same syntax is used in the
        "Lost Road" phrase _tye-meláne_ "I love thee", and in the Sindarin _le
        linnathon_ "to thee I will chant" in the Hymn to Elbereth. There may
        be other examples that I don't recall at the moment.

        I do think that *_antuva_ with 1sg person suffix is *_antuvan(ye)_.
        For comparison, Tolkien seems to have translated _linnathon_ as
        _linduvanye_ in Quenya.

        > The second point was at the preposition. I believe that "ya" is
        the correct form to use but I am
        > confused as to where this form would go.

        The only translations of _ya_ that I am aware of is "which" and "as".
        "Of" is usually expressed with the genitive or the possessive case in
        Quenya: *_cuileo_ or *_cuileva_.

        Yours,
        Måns
      • captainandwendy
        Message 3 of 19 , Jul 4, 2009
          Heya folks, I'm wanting to get this translation accurate, so I'm asking for help. I have a Latin phrase that I want to represent in Tengwar, preferably Quenya mode if it has all of the appropriate sounds available.

          The Latin is "amare revereri fovere". I have an MP3 recording of a Latin expert providing the exact pronunciation, and I can send it to you upon request.

          Thanks for any help you can offer :)