ÈÝìá: [elfscript] Re: Would you help me with me elvish tatoo??

  • hisilome
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 4, 2005
      > I can't recall this correctly but I think we've discussed this
      before
      > that we should call a "mode" only the difference between full and
      > tehtar way of trascribing. If this is not true anymore...
      >
      > Lucy

      Well, that's one way of categorizing tengwar modes, probably the
      broadest :). I think most people still agree, though, that there is
      such a thing as a distinct (often called "classical") Quenya mode that
      is characterized (as Gildor hinted) by the use of the second and
      fourth
      tyeller for nasalized voiced/unvoiced plosives, as well as some other
      special signs, e.g. arda for rd, alda for ld...obviously this is where
      the names for the tengwar come from. Also, other than in the General
      Use, where both reading directions are possible, in the Classical
      Quenya mode the tehtar are are always placed on the preceding tengwar
      (exception: those diphthongs).
      Amanye Tenceli and J. 'Mach' Wust have the best summaries of various
      tengwar modes, (full/orthograpic, full/phonemic, tehtar/orthographic,
      tehtar/phonemic...everything.

      Greetings,

      Hisilome