Would you help me with me elvish tatoo??

  • pikachuinef
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 29, 2005
      Hi everyone!!

      I´m spanish, from Madrid, and I´m looking for the most correct way to
      write "Isilwen" (Moon Lady or Maid of the Moon) in tengwar for my
      tatoo, and I´ve been said too many ways for it. Specially because the
      question of using Silme or Sule when translating "s" of Isilwen, and
      the representation of "w".

      In other forums they told me to use the codes iTjTy5$ (for Sindarin
      mode) and `B3TjnR5 (for Quenya mode) and then transcribe them into
      tengwar fonts in Microsoft Word. Are they right? You know, I want mi
      tatoo to say what exactly I want it says!!

      Could you help me please?? Thanks you very much!!
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 3, 2005
        --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, "pikachuinef" <henarmg@t...> wrote:
        > Hi everyone!!
        >
        > I´m spanish, from Madrid, and I´m looking for the most correct way to
        > write "Isilwen" (Moon Lady or Maid of the Moon) in tengwar for my
        > tatoo, and I´ve been said too many ways for it. Specially because the
        > question of using Silme or Sule when translating "s" of Isilwen, and
        > the representation of "w".
        >
        > In other forums they told me to use the codes iTjTy5$ (for Sindarin
        > mode) and `B3TjnR5 (for Quenya mode) and then transcribe them into
        > tengwar fonts in Microsoft Word. Are they right? You know, I want mi
        > tatoo to say what exactly I want it says!!

        Hello "pikachuinef",

        these above codes seem ok but I can't help commenting :)

        In both Quenya and Sindarin, the Súle < Thúle would be more proper for
        the S in _Isilwen_.
        And since Wilya > Vilya was later used for a V < W in Quenya, I think
        that writing Vala in both Quenya and Sindarin "tehtar mode" would be
        correct as well. The Sindarin "full mode" transcription uses Vilya for
        W since Vala is 'reserved' for M.

        So my suggestion:
        Sindarin 3Gj%y5$ or `3`jnl6
        Quenya `B3GjyR5

        The first code for Sindarin is a "tehtar mode" transcription, the
        latter is a "full mode" transcription. There are (logically) no
        examples of a "full mode" for Quenya.

        And, one little note in the end: there is no "Sindarin mode" or "Quenya
        mode", the modes are only "full mode" (the Sindarin 'Moria Gate
        inscription' is an example) or "tehtar mode" (the Quenya 'Namárie' or
        Sindarin 'King's Letter, version III' are the examples).

        Hope this helps a bit.

        Lucy
      • Palatinus
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 3, 2005
          > And since Wilya > Vilya was later used for a V < W
          > in Quenya, I think
          > that writing Vala in both Quenya and Sindarin
          > "tehtar mode" would be
          > correct as well. The Sindarin "full mode"

          I havent been concerned with Tengwar for many months
          but I think you are wrong here. I dont remember seeing
          w written with Vala, especially in Quenya

          > And, one little note in the end: there is no
          > "Sindarin mode" or "Quenya
          > mode", the modes are only "full mode" (the Sindarin
          > 'Moria Gate
          > inscription' is an example) or "tehtar mode" (the
          > Quenya 'Namαrie' or
          > Sindarin 'King's Letter, version III' are the
          > examples).

          of course there are Sindarin and Quenya modes. In
          Sindarin modes for example, Ando is d, while in Quenya
          it's nd

          Χρησιμοποιείτε Yahoo!;
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 3, 2005
            --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, Palatinus <elfiness@y...> wrote:

            Hello Gildor - have changed your nick? ;),
            > I havent been concerned with Tengwar for many months
            > but I think you are wrong here. I dont remember seeing
            > w written with Vala, especially in Quenya

            you're right, hasty me...

            > > And, one little note in the end: there is no
            > > "Sindarin mode" or "Quenya
            > > mode", the modes are only "full mode" (the Sindarin
            > > 'Moria Gate
            > > inscription' is an example) or "tehtar mode" (the
            > > Quenya 'Namárie' or
            > > Sindarin 'King's Letter, version III' are the
            > > examples).
            >
            > of course there are Sindarin and Quenya modes. In
            > Sindarin modes for example, Ando is d, while in Quenya
            > it's nd

            I can't recall this correctly but I think we've discussed this before
            that we should call a "mode" only the difference between full and
            tehtar way of trascribing. If this is not true anymore...

            Lucy

            P.S. So the Quenya "code" would be then `B3GjnR5
          • hisilome
            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 4, 2005
              > I can't recall this correctly but I think we've discussed this
              before
              > that we should call a "mode" only the difference between full and
              > tehtar way of trascribing. If this is not true anymore...
              >
              > Lucy

              Well, that's one way of categorizing tengwar modes, probably the
              broadest :). I think most people still agree, though, that there is
              such a thing as a distinct (often called "classical") Quenya mode that
              is characterized (as Gildor hinted) by the use of the second and
              fourth
              tyeller for nasalized voiced/unvoiced plosives, as well as some other
              special signs, e.g. arda for rd, alda for ld...obviously this is where
              the names for the tengwar come from. Also, other than in the General
              Use, where both reading directions are possible, in the Classical
              Quenya mode the tehtar are are always placed on the preceding tengwar
              (exception: those diphthongs).
              Amanye Tenceli and J. 'Mach' Wust have the best summaries of various
              tengwar modes, (full/orthograpic, full/phonemic, tehtar/orthographic,
              tehtar/phonemic...everything.

              Greetings,

              Hisilome