Re: Poem Translation

  • Gaerind Gwingechil
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 16, 2005
      Hi,

      Hisilome wrote referring to my suggested translation
      to funnywop's Burns poem over on elfling:

      "
      In my very humble opinion, in this case I'd personally
      rather go for
      Helge's version, though. Seems to me it has fewer
      "dubious"
      features...I'm not quite sure where _imya_ comes from,
      or what it
      means

      ** it means "same" as an adjective, from VT47

      , for example, or whether it's even necessary in the
      sentence

      ** that's up to debate of course; not necessary in the
      English original, quite necessary in my own tongue and
      may be unncessary in (Neo)Quenya.

      (I'd love to stand corrected by Atwe!). Maybe related
      to the entries
      under IMI(1) in the Qenya Lexicon?

      I'm not sure about _er erye_ either. The Etymologies
      have _er_,
      glossed "one, alone", and _erya_, "single, sole", both
      under ERE.

      ** erye should've been asterisked by me, as it is
      unattested long independent 3rd pers pronoun (her)
      modelled on _elye_. Sorry for that.

      And one other thing: I'm not so comfortable with using
      _ullume_
      for "never". In his own translation of Firiel's Song,
      where the word
      occurs, Tolkien renders it as "not...for ever", which
      is really not
      quite the same (if it was "not...ever", that would be
      a different
      matter).

      ** true, but I think Tolkien's translation may be
      taken as poetic, and _ullume_ fits quite well to the
      pattern of _sillumello_, _illume_ etc.

      By,

      Atwe

      http://mail.yahoo.com