Re: Poem Translation

  • hisilome
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 14, 2005
      --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, "funnywopp" <funnywopp@y...> wrote:
      > Thank you very much. But Thomas Ferencz from elfling has helped me
      > with the translation already. And the meaning is similiar in
      effect > to the one you offered.>

      <<<<<<Well, obviously, since they're both translations of the same
      four lines! :)
      In my very humble opinion, in this case I'd personally rather go for
      Helge's version, though. Seems to me it has fewer "dubious"
      features...I'm not quite sure where _imya_ comes from, or what it
      means, for example, or whether it's even necessary in the sentence
      (I'd love to stand corrected by Atwe!). Maybe related to the entries
      under IMI(1) in the Qenya Lexicon?

      I'm not sure about _er erye_ either. The Etymologies have _er_,
      glossed "one, alone", and _erya_, "single, sole", both under ERE.

      And one other thing: I'm not so comfortable with using _ullume_
      for "never". In his own translation of Firiel's Song, where the word
      occurs, Tolkien renders it as "not...for ever", which is really not
      quite the same (if it was "not...ever", that would be a different
      matter).>>>>>>

      Hisilome

      > Cenitas imya ve melitas
      > seeing-her [is] same as loving-her
      >
      > Ar mele er erye tennoio
      > and to love only her forever
      >
      > An Ea acáries yenna narye
      > for the World has-made-her into-that she-is
      >
      > Ar ullume carne enta
      > And never made another
      >
      > *yenna: cf. yenna "to which" VT47:2

    • Gaerind Gwingechil
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 16, 2005
        Hi,

        Hisilome wrote referring to my suggested translation
        to funnywop's Burns poem over on elfling:

        "
        In my very humble opinion, in this case I'd personally
        rather go for
        Helge's version, though. Seems to me it has fewer
        "dubious"
        features...I'm not quite sure where _imya_ comes from,
        or what it
        means

        ** it means "same" as an adjective, from VT47

        , for example, or whether it's even necessary in the
        sentence

        ** that's up to debate of course; not necessary in the
        English original, quite necessary in my own tongue and
        may be unncessary in (Neo)Quenya.

        (I'd love to stand corrected by Atwe!). Maybe related
        to the entries
        under IMI(1) in the Qenya Lexicon?

        I'm not sure about _er erye_ either. The Etymologies
        have _er_,
        glossed "one, alone", and _erya_, "single, sole", both
        under ERE.

        ** erye should've been asterisked by me, as it is
        unattested long independent 3rd pers pronoun (her)
        modelled on _elye_. Sorry for that.

        And one other thing: I'm not so comfortable with using
        _ullume_
        for "never". In his own translation of Firiel's Song,
        where the word
        occurs, Tolkien renders it as "not...for ever", which
        is really not
        quite the same (if it was "not...ever", that would be
        a different
        matter).

        ** true, but I think Tolkien's translation may be
        taken as poetic, and _ullume_ fits quite well to the
        pattern of _sillumello_, _illume_ etc.

        By,

        Atwe

        http://mail.yahoo.com