Re: Poem Translation

  • funnywopp
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 14, 2005
      Thank you very much. But Thomas Ferencz from elfling has helped me
      with the translation already. And the meaning is similiar in effect
      to the one you offered. However when I posted my first posting here
      I hadn't realized I had the wrong place. I understand now that this
      message board is mostly concerned with the translations into
      script. Hence, elfscript. Yeah, dumb move on my part. I have used
      the basic Quenya font to come up with the following. Now that i'm
      in the right place, i can ask the right question. If someone could
      check my work concerning my SCRIPT, then I will be done. And I can
      surprise my wife for her Birthday.
      Thanks in advance.
      Mark

       To see her is to love her,

      > And love but her forever:

      > For nature made her what she is,

      > And never made another!

      Cenitas imya ve melitas
      seeing-her [is] same as loving-her

      Ar mele er erye tennoio
      and to love only her forever

      An Ea acáries yenna narye
      for the World has-made-her into-that she-is

      Ar ullume carne enta
      And never made another

      *yenna: cf. yenna "to which" VT47:2

      85$1TiE t%h`C r`V tjR1TiE
      6E tjR`V 6R 6Rh`V 15$"`N`B`N
      5# `V`C zE~C7`BiR h5$"`C 56Eh`V
      6E jU¸t&`V z6E5`V 1[R`C
    • hisilome
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 14, 2005
        --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, "funnywopp" <funnywopp@y...> wrote:
        > Thank you very much. But Thomas Ferencz from elfling has helped me
        > with the translation already. And the meaning is similiar in
        effect > to the one you offered.>

        <<<<<<Well, obviously, since they're both translations of the same
        four lines! :)
        In my very humble opinion, in this case I'd personally rather go for
        Helge's version, though. Seems to me it has fewer "dubious"
        features...I'm not quite sure where _imya_ comes from, or what it
        means, for example, or whether it's even necessary in the sentence
        (I'd love to stand corrected by Atwe!). Maybe related to the entries
        under IMI(1) in the Qenya Lexicon?

        I'm not sure about _er erye_ either. The Etymologies have _er_,
        glossed "one, alone", and _erya_, "single, sole", both under ERE.

        And one other thing: I'm not so comfortable with using _ullume_
        for "never". In his own translation of Firiel's Song, where the word
        occurs, Tolkien renders it as "not...for ever", which is really not
        quite the same (if it was "not...ever", that would be a different
        matter).>>>>>>

        Hisilome

        > Cenitas imya ve melitas
        > seeing-her [is] same as loving-her
        >
        > Ar mele er erye tennoio
        > and to love only her forever
        >
        > An Ea acáries yenna narye
        > for the World has-made-her into-that she-is
        >
        > Ar ullume carne enta
        > And never made another
        >
        > *yenna: cf. yenna "to which" VT47:2

      • Gaerind Gwingechil
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 16, 2005
          Hi,

          Hisilome wrote referring to my suggested translation
          to funnywop's Burns poem over on elfling:

          "
          In my very humble opinion, in this case I'd personally
          rather go for
          Helge's version, though. Seems to me it has fewer
          "dubious"
          features...I'm not quite sure where _imya_ comes from,
          or what it
          means

          ** it means "same" as an adjective, from VT47

          , for example, or whether it's even necessary in the
          sentence

          ** that's up to debate of course; not necessary in the
          English original, quite necessary in my own tongue and
          may be unncessary in (Neo)Quenya.

          (I'd love to stand corrected by Atwe!). Maybe related
          to the entries
          under IMI(1) in the Qenya Lexicon?

          I'm not sure about _er erye_ either. The Etymologies
          have _er_,
          glossed "one, alone", and _erya_, "single, sole", both
          under ERE.

          ** erye should've been asterisked by me, as it is
          unattested long independent 3rd pers pronoun (her)
          modelled on _elye_. Sorry for that.

          And one other thing: I'm not so comfortable with using
          _ullume_
          for "never". In his own translation of Firiel's Song,
          where the word
          occurs, Tolkien renders it as "not...for ever", which
          is really not
          quite the same (if it was "not...ever", that would be
          a different
          matter).

          ** true, but I think Tolkien's translation may be
          taken as poetic, and _ullume_ fits quite well to the
          pattern of _sillumello_, _illume_ etc.

          By,

          Atwe

          http://mail.yahoo.com