Hi!! I'm really confused....

  • scwigglie
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 18, 2002
      Okay. The tengar at the back of the book of LOTR seems to be
      different than the one I'm finding online. Like, the symbols are the
      same but they stand for different letters! Which one is the right one?
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 19, 2002
        > Okay. The tengar at the back of the book of LOTR
        > seems to be
        > different than the one I'm finding online. Like, the
        > symbols are the
        > same but they stand for different letters! Which one
        > is the right one?

        they aer english tengwar
        refer to the mode for Westron

      • scwigglie
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 19, 2002
          What is English Tengwar?

        • DDanielA@webtv.net
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 19, 2002
            Teithant scwigglie:
            What is English tengwar?

            Actually, it should be 'what ARE...' as tengwar is plural. English
            tengwar are simply the tengwar as used by JRRT (well, and others aksol)
            to write English. Examples are the inscription at the bottom of the
            title page of LotR, the English portions of the facsimiles of the Kings
            Letter in 'Sauron Defeated', the tengwar renderings of the first part of
            'Errantry' in 'Pictures...' and a portion of 'So Lúthien' in "The Lay
            of Leithian'. There are also others in JRRT's own hand, but those are
            the most significant.