Tengwar evolution

  • Jussi Hattara
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 9, 2005
      I've been playing with a thought, what would a tengwar based
      contemporal writing look like. No doubt they would be different
      to the tengwar of Tolkien's design. I was wondering has anyone
      else played with a similar thought?

      -----
      Jussi Hattara
      http://www.tenerdo.org/
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 9, 2005
        You mean something like the Tengwar Elfetica font?

        you can see this font at
        http://www.tengwar.art.pl/tengwar/fonty.php along with
        many others

        I hope you will find there what you think of

        > I've been playing with a thought, what would a
        > tengwar based
        > contemporal writing look like. No doubt they would
        > be different
        > to the tengwar of Tolkien's design. I was wondering
        > has anyone
        > else played with a similar thought?
        >
        > -----
        > Jussi Hattara
        > http://www.tenerdo.org/

        Χρησιμοποιείτε Yahoo!;
      • Jussi Hattara
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 9, 2005
          No. I meant a completely changed alphabet. Tengwar Elfetica
          and such are simply another typeface of the same alphabet.
          I just finished an alphabet that is definately based upon
          the Tengwar, but propably wouldn't be recognised as such
          with a single glance.

          The image I have done is currently somewhat different from
          the actual alphabet design, but pretty close to it. I'm not
          that good with computer art, so I took some shortcuts. It
          has some resemblance to modern greek, cyrillic and latin
          alphabets, but that's just because the shapes are easy to
          draw. The diacritics used with this evolutionary tengwar
          based alphabet are the same as with traditional Tengwar.

          The small letters are the older forms, closer to the
          traditional Tengwar. The capitals have developed from small
          letters, further distancing them from the traditional Tengwar.

          http://www.tenerdo.org/tengwar-evo.gif

          On Fri, 9 Sep 2005 15:58:35 +0100 (BST), Gildor Inglorion wrote
          > You mean something like the Tengwar Elfetica font?
          >
          > you can see this font at
          > http://www.tengwar.art.pl/tengwar/fonty.php along with
          > many others
          >
          > I hope you will find there what you think of
          >
          > > I've been playing with a thought, what would a
          > > tengwar based
          > > contemporal writing look like. No doubt they would
          > > be different
          > > to the tengwar of Tolkien's design. I was wondering
          > > has anyone
          > > else played with a similar thought?

          -----
          Jussi Hattara
          http://www.tenerdo.org/
        • anonmoos
          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 19, 2005
            >--- Jussi Hattara wrote:

            >> I've been playing with a thought, what would a tengwar based
            >> contemporal writing look like. No doubt they would be different to
            >> the tengwar of Tolkien's design. I was wondering has anyone else
            >> played with a similar thought? - http://www.tenerdo.org/

            > You mean something like the Tengwar Elfetica font? you can see this
            > font at http://www.tengwar.art.pl/tengwar/fonty.php along with many
            > others I hope you will find there what you think of

            Actually, that's the original plain Elfetica font. The revised
            Tengwar Elfetica font (compatible with the Smith encoding, among a
            number of other changes), can be downloaded as part of the ZIP file
            at http://symbolictruth.fateback.com/tengwar-arabic-mode.htm