Intro/Help??

  • jedinawar
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 18, 2005
      Hi. My name is Jon(or _Erunion_??). I am new to the elfscript group
      so I thought I would introduce myself. I live in Green Bay, Wisconsin
      in the US and I'm 23 years old. Anyhow, I have always been fascinated
      by Tolkien's books and the movies only re-inspired me to learn more.
      I've already looked through many of the posts and I find the ideas
      of the Tolkien languages and scripts very intriguing.
      Also, I just recently got my first tattoo and they are addicting!
      I have a 1-year-old daughter and I am wanting to get her name
      tattooed on my inside wrist in elvish(not translated into elvish, just
      trscribed in tengwar). So I guess if anyone would be willing to
      help me do this it would be greatly appreciated. Her name is
      Aryelle. I have tried typing it using a tengwar font in Word but for
      some reason I cannot get the letters to transcibe properly, even
      using the guide provided with the font. Maybe I am just slow...ha!
      But yeah, I guess that's it for now. Thanks and hopefully I will
      get to know these boards well!!
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 18, 2005
        Aryelle sounds (and looks) like Quenya!! So i suggest
        you transcribe it like if it was Quenya, not English

        so, my suggestion is Carrier (three dots above), Romen
        (two y-dots below and an e-accent above), Lambe (with
        the line that indicates long below, and the e-accent
        above)

        consult your guide to see what i mean

        --- jedinawar <jedinawar@...> έγραψε:

        > Hi. My name is Jon(or _Erunion_??). I am new to the
        > elfscript group
        > so I thought I would introduce myself. I live in
        > Green Bay, Wisconsin
        > in the US and I'm 23 years old. Anyhow, I have
        > always been fascinated
        > by Tolkien's books and the movies only re-inspired
        > me to learn more.
        > I've already looked through many of the posts and I
        > find the ideas
        > of the Tolkien languages and scripts very
        > intriguing.
        > Also, I just recently got my first tattoo and they
        > are addicting!
        > I have a 1-year-old daughter and I am wanting to get
        > her name
        > tattooed on my inside wrist in elvish(not translated
        > into elvish, just
        > trscribed in tengwar). So I guess if anyone would be
        > willing to
        > help me do this it would be greatly appreciated. Her
        > name is
        > Aryelle. I have tried typing it using a tengwar font
        > in Word but for
        > some reason I cannot get the letters to transcibe
        > properly, even
        > using the guide provided with the font. Maybe I am
        > just slow...ha!
        > But yeah, I guess that's it for now. Thanks and
        > hopefully I will
        > get to know these boards well!!

        Χρησιμοποιείτε Yahoo!;
      • jedinawar@aol.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 18, 2005
          Thank you so much for your help. My only problem is that for some reason the
          guide I have for my tengwar font will not let me do the y-dots underneath or
          the long bar under the lambe. The code it gives that it says will type that
          dot or letter types a completely different letter. That is the problem I am
          having so far. I think the guide is not quite accurate. If someone would be
          able to email me the text I would be very appreciative, otherewise I might also
          try to download a different tengwar font. Thanks so much for the help!

          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 19, 2005
            Here you go

            http://www.tengwar.art.pl/tengwar/ott/obrazek.php?f=p&s=40&t=YEM3VGBWarhS

            note that it says 'Arielle' not 'Aryelle'... depends
            on the pronounciation. I think that the proper name is
            Arielle while you spell it with 'y' for aesthetic
            reasons right?

            > Thank you so much for your help. My only problem is
            > that for some reason the
            > guide I have for my tengwar font will not let me do
            > the y-dots underneath or
            > the long bar under the lambe. The code it gives that
            > it says will type that
            > dot or letter types a completely different letter.
            > That is the problem I am
            > having so far. I think the guide is not quite
            > accurate. If someone would be
            > able to email me the text I would be very
            > appreciative, otherewise I might also
            > try to download a different tengwar font. Thanks so
            > much for the help!

            > removed]

            Χρησιμοποιείτε Yahoo!;
          • i_degilbor
            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 19, 2005
              Teithant Gildor Inglorion:
              > Aryelle sounds (and looks) like Quenya!! So i suggest
              > you transcribe it like if it was Quenya, not English

              While 'Aryelle' bears a superficial resemblence to Quenya, it isn't
              Quenya and I suspect that it's not pronounced like Quenya. I would
              think, for example, the the final 'e' is silent and the 'y' is
              pronounced like 'i', not as a palatal glide. I would definitely treat
              it as an English name since the Quenya mode is appropriate only for
              the Quenya language. I have added a file with my suggestion for two
              possible ways of writing 'Aryelle' in an English tengwar mode (one
              tehta mode, one full-writing mode).