A Tengwar Proposal for B/C/S

  • Aida Djikic
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 8, 2005
      Hello everyone,

      my name is Aida and I've been a member of this group for some time, but more as an observer than a participant. I spent the time trying to learn as much as I could and now I feel confident enough to ask for an advice on something I've been developing together with Lucy (Hi Lucy!). It's a Tengwar mode for my mother tongue, Bosnian - Serbocroatian. I would appreciate it if someone could take a look at it and tell me what you think. It's in the files section in a folder named "Aida".

      Best regards, Aida

    • Melroch 'Aestan
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 9, 2005
        Aida Djikic skrev:
        > Hello everyone,
        >
        > my name is Aida and I've been a member of this group for some time, but more as an observer than a participant. I spent the time trying to learn as much as I could and now I feel confident enough to ask for an advice on something I've been developing together with Lucy (Hi Lucy!). It's a Tengwar mode for my mother tongue, Bosnian - Serbocroatian. I would appreciate it if someone could take a look at it and tell me what you think. It's in the files section in a folder named "Aida".
        >
        > Best regards, Aida

        I see you have choosen to put the tehta above the following tengwa
        as is done when writing in Sindarin, Black Speech or English,
        but with so many words ending in vowels would it not be better to put
        the tehta above the preceding tengwa as when writing Quenya.
        Even for Swedish, which has about a 50/50 distribution between
        words ending in consonants and in vowels I often find it more
        convenient to write the tehta over the preceding tengwa
        -- not least because it makes typing easier too!
        --

        /BP 8^)>
        A h-ammen ledin i phith! \ \
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 9, 2005
          Hello Melroch,

          I decided to put the tehta above the following tengwa because when I first started learning how to write with Tengwar I followed the Sindarin mode. By now I'm so used to it that it would be very awkward for me to switch to the Quenya way of writing. It's also more difficult for me to read something written in Quenya mode. I'm not sure what is the percentage of distribution of words ending in consonants or vowels for Bosnian, but I think it's also somewhere around 50/50. I don't know if there was ever a statistical analysis on it. If speakers of B/C/S who decide to start using this proposal find that it is easier for them to put the tehta above the preceding consonant they are free to do so. Nothing is set in stone.
          Thank you for the input! Do you have any other comments?

          Best regards, Aida

          Melroch 'Aestan <melroch@...> wrote:
          I see you have choosen to put the tehta above the following tengwa
          as is done when writing in Sindarin, Black Speech or English,
          but with so many words ending in vowels would it not be better to put
          the tehta above the preceding tengwa as when writing Quenya.
          Even for Swedish, which has about a 50/50 distribution between
          words ending in consonants and in vowels I often find it more
          convenient to write the tehta over the preceding tengwa
          -- not least because it makes typing easier too!
          --

          /BP 8^)>
          A h-ammen ledin i phith! \ \

          Lord of the rings movies Lord of the rings Science fiction Lord of the rings action figures Lord of the rings collectibles The lord of the rings

        • anonmoos
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 11, 2005
            --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, Aida Djikic <aidadjikic@y...> wrote:

            > ask for an advice on something I've been developing together with
            > Lucy (Hi Lucy!). It's a Tengwar mode for my mother tongue, Bosnian
            > - Serbocroatian. I would appreciate it if someone could take a look
            > at it TengwarBCSmode.doc

            In general terms, it's probably better to put up .PDF or .RTF files,
            since they're much more portable and platform-neutral than .DOC files
            are (not to mention that .DOC files can be used to spread viruses!).

            --
            http://symbolictruth.fateback.com/tengwar-arabic-mode.htm
          • Aida Djikic
            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 15, 2005
              I took your advice and uploaded the proposal as an .rtf file.