Re: [elfscript] Re: An unnoticed tengwa

  • Dave
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 2, 2005
      Danny wrote:

      >Yet strangely enough, he [Tolkien] apparently didn't feel that the triple-dot
      >tehta over silme was too cumbersome in the word _ennas_! When typing
      >out the Sindarin text of version III of the King's Letter using a
      >tengwar font, typing _ennas_ is awkward, but possible. Typing the word
      >_edwen_, on the other hand, is something that I cannot find a way to
      >do without the two tehtar clashing.

      [Yes, combinations with u/w-curls can be a bit of a pain! (And they tend not to look very nice, either, in my opinion.) Isn't there something called the Manney Inscription (giving the _Sii man i yulma(r)_-sentence in what seems to be general mode), where the _nqua_ in _enqua(n)tuva_ is spelled with a quesse carrying a bar, a u/w-curl and an a-tehta on top? I would love to see the original of that one...

      As for Tolkien using normal silme with an a-tehta on top in _ennas_, but but silme nuquerna with the a-tehta in _Minas_: I guess he simply made these decisions on the spur of the moment then...no obligatory orthographic rules for when to use silme and when its reversed form (the same seems to apply to esse and esse nuquerna, see for example _lassi_ and _lisse-miruvooreva_ in "Namaarie"). Fact remains that silme nuquerna in S. tehtar modes is just another spelling of _s_, and the closed-bow variant does not appear.]

      >When typing out version I, I cheat when it comes to the closed bow
      >version of silme nuquerna in _mhellyn_: using the Tengwar Annatar
      >font, I type the tengwa numeral 12 (#0174). It looks very close. As
      >far as I know, the only fonts that contain that particular character
      >are Tengwar Annatar, Tengwar Parmaite and Tengwar Elfica.

      [Right! How fortunate Tolkien was not having to bother with computer fonts. ;}]

      Hisilome