Help with translation

  • kurganbluesntrouble
    Message 1 of 13 , Jul 8, 2005
      Hi there,
      Firstly, apologies for bothering you with this question as I am sure
      you have numerous requests for similar help.
      However, am driving myself up the wall trying to do this myself and
      wanted to ask the experts for their input as I really am getting
      nowhere fast!
      I want to have a tattoo done in Quenya and transcribed into Tengwar
      script. Can anyone tell me how to go about doing this correctly? I
      have tried downloading the different fonts but, for some reason, its
      not been successful.
      I am looking to translate the following into Quenya and then into
      Tengwar Gandalf or Tengwar Annatar font:
      "Lorna, my heart, my life, my happiness"

      Hoping you can shed some light on this for me and thanks in advance
      for any help you can give.
    • Eclipse
      Message 2 of 13 , Jul 17, 2006
        I want to have my daughters name translated with the Ring style
        script, and I just get more confused when I'm online trying to do it
        myself. Her name is Lucia and if someone could help me, I would
        greatly appreciate it.
        Message 3 of 13 , Jul 17, 2006
          --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, "Eclipse" <a_broken_life@...> wrote:

          > I want to have my daughters name translated with the Ring style
          > script, and I just get more confused when I'm online trying to do it
          > myself. Her name is Lucia and if someone could help me, I would
          > greatly appreciate it.

          Hello,

          there are more ways of how to transcript the name, it would help us if
          you could indicate how is the name pronounced: is the C spelt as [si:],
          as in _city_ or more as [tch] as in _church_ (e.g. Spanish
          pronunciation). And is it spelt LU-CI-A or differently?

          Lucy
        • Eclipse
          Message 4 of 13 , Jul 18, 2006
            --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, "calwen76" <calwen.rudh@...> wrote:

            > --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, "Eclipse" <a_broken_life@> wrote:
            > >
            > > I want to have my daughters name translated with the Ring style
            > > script, and I just get more confused when I'm online trying to
            do it
            > > myself. Her name is Lucia and if someone could help me, I would
            > > greatly appreciate it.
            >
            > Hello,
            >
            > there are more ways of how to transcript the name, it would help
            us if
            > you could indicate how is the name pronounced: is the C spelt as
            [si:],
            > as in _city_ or more as [tch] as in _church_ (e.g. Spanish
            > pronunciation). And is it spelt LU-CI-A or differently?
            >
            > Lucy

            It's pronounced [si] like in city. It's spelled Lucia. I would
            like it in quenya with a style like the Ring. I appreciate any help
            you can give me.
          • ash_nazg4321
            Message 5 of 13 , Jul 18, 2006
              wrote:

              > --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, "calwen76" <calwen.rudh@> wrote:
              > >
              > > --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, "Eclipse" <a_broken_life@>
              wrote:

              > > > I want to have my daughters name translated with the Ring
              style
              > > > script, and I just get more confused when I'm online trying to
              > do it
              > > > myself. Her name is Lucia and if someone could help me, I
              would
              > > > greatly appreciate it.
              > >
              > > Hello,
              > >
              > > there are more ways of how to transcript the name, it would help
              > us if
              > > you could indicate how is the name pronounced: is the C spelt as
              > [si:],
              > > as in _city_ or more as [tch] as in _church_ (e.g. Spanish
              > > pronunciation). And is it spelt LU-CI-A or differently?
              > >
              > > Lucy
              > >

              > It's pronounced [si] like in city. It's spelled Lucia. I would
              > like it in quenya with a style like the Ring. I appreciate any
              help
              > you can give me.

              it should look like this

              http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a58/ash_nazg4321/lucia.jpg

              the keys for a tengwar font are " jUiT`C "
            • Eclipse
              Message 6 of 13 , Jul 18, 2006
                --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, "ash_nazg4321" <ash_nazg4321@...>
                wrote:

                > --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, "Eclipse" <a_broken_life@>
                > wrote:
                > >
                > > --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, "calwen76" <calwen.rudh@>
                wrote:

                > > > --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, "Eclipse" <a_broken_life@>

                > style
                > > do it
                > would
                > > >
                > > > Hello,
                > > >
                > > > there are more ways of how to transcript the name, it would
                help
                > > us if
                > > > you could indicate how is the name pronounced: is the C spelt
                as
                > > [si:],
                > > > as in _city_ or more as [tch] as in _church_ (e.g. Spanish
                > > > pronunciation). And is it spelt LU-CI-A or differently?
                > > >
                > > > Lucy
                > > >

                > > It's pronounced [si] like in city. It's spelled Lucia. I would
                > > like it in quenya with a style like the Ring. I appreciate any
                > help
                > > you can give me.
                > >

                > it should look like this
                >
                > http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a58/ash_nazg4321/lucia.jpg
                >
                > the keys for a tengwar font are " jUiT`C "

                Thanks. How did you come up with the keys for the tengwar font?
                There are a couple of other names I would like to do, and now that
                I've seen that it works in wordpad, I need help finding out how to
                convert the name.
              • Palatinus
                Message 7 of 13 , Jul 19, 2006
                  > Thanks. How did you come up with the keys for the
                  > tengwar font?
                  > There are a couple of other names I would like to
                  > do, and now that
                  > I've seen that it works in wordpad, I need help
                  > finding out how to
                  > convert the name.

                  We read the help file and documentation coming with
                  the fonts :)

                  Especially this one
                  http://www.acondia.com/font_tengwar/tengh19j.zip

                  And this one is also a good source http://www.sci.fi/~alboin/tengwartutorial.htm

                  Χρησιμοποιείτε Yahoo!;
                  Message 8 of 13 , Jul 19, 2006
                    > > it should look like this
                    > >
                    > > http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a58/ash_nazg4321/lucia.jpg
                    > >
                    > > the keys for a tengwar font are " jUiT`C "

                    I am not quite sure if this is the write transcription according
                    to "Quenya rules" ... I'd transcript: jUiGhÍC (lambe+U-tehta / silme
                    nuquerna+I tehta / yanta+A-tehta+under double dot)

                    > Thanks. How did you come up with the keys for the tengwar font?
                    > There are a couple of other names I would like to do, and now that
                    > I've seen that it works in wordpad, I need help finding out how to
                    > convert the name.

                    Just upload the font here:
                    http://home.student.uu.se/jowi4905/fonts/annatar.html

                    install it and then you can write your own stuff. But beware: what
                    you need to write it correctly is a "basic" knowledge of how the
                    transcription works - the letters on the keyboard are not equal to
                    those in Tengwar (the letter T in Tengwar is written with the key 1
                    on the keyboard etc.). Anyway, if you need help, here we're ready to
                    answer your questions.
                  • Eclipse
                    Message 9 of 13 , Jul 20, 2006
                      --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, "calwen76" <calwen.rudh@...> wrote:

                      > > > it should look like this
                      > > >
                      > > > http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a58/ash_nazg4321/lucia.jpg
                      > > >
                      > > > the keys for a tengwar font are " jUiT`C "
                      >
                      > I am not quite sure if this is the write transcription according
                      > to "Quenya rules" ... I'd transcript: jUiGhÍC (lambe+U-tehta /
                      silme
                      > nuquerna+I tehta / yanta+A-tehta+under double dot)
                      >
                      > > Thanks. How did you come up with the keys for the tengwar
                      font?
                      > > There are a couple of other names I would like to do, and now
                      that
                      > > I've seen that it works in wordpad, I need help finding out how
                      > > convert the name.
                      >
                      > Just upload the font here:
                      > http://home.student.uu.se/jowi4905/fonts/annatar.html
                      >
                      > install it and then you can write your own stuff. But beware: what
                      > you need to write it correctly is a "basic" knowledge of how the
                      > transcription works - the letters on the keyboard are not equal to
                      > those in Tengwar (the letter T in Tengwar is written with the key
                      1
                      > on the keyboard etc.). Anyway, if you need help, here we're ready
                      > answer your questions.

                      Thanks for all of your help. I cant thank all of you who responded
                      enough.
                    • Eclipse
                      Message 10 of 13 , Jul 26, 2006
                        wrote:

                        > > I am not quite sure if this is the write transcription according
                        > > to "Quenya rules" ... I'd transcript: jUiGhÍC (lambe+U-tehta /
                        > silme
                        > > nuquerna+I tehta / yanta+A-tehta+under double dot)
                        > >
                        > > > Thanks. How did you come up with the keys for the tengwar
                        > font?
                        > > > There are a couple of other names I would like to do, and now
                        > that
                        > > > I've seen that it works in wordpad, I need help finding out
                        how
                        > > > convert the name.
                        > >
                        > > Just upload the font here:
                        > > http://home.student.uu.se/jowi4905/fonts/annatar.html
                        > >
                        > > install it and then you can write your own stuff. But beware:
                        what
                        > > you need to write it correctly is a "basic" knowledge of how the
                        > > transcription works - the letters on the keyboard are not equal
                        > > those in Tengwar (the letter T in Tengwar is written with the
                        key
                        > 1
                        > > on the keyboard etc.). Anyway, if you need help, here we're
                        ready
                        > > answer your questions.
                        > >

                        > Thanks for all of your help. I cant thank all of you who
                        responded
                        > enough.

                        Ok, Ive read the keyboard mapping and the help files with the fonts,
                        but I'm more confused than ever. That others names I wanted in
                        the "Ring" style is Kelly and Jarrod. I've never been good at
                        languages so any help would be appreciated.
                        Message 11 of 13 , Jul 27, 2006
                          --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, "Eclipse" <a_broken_life@...> wrote:
                          > Ok, Ive read the keyboard mapping and the help files with the
                          fonts,
                          > but I'm more confused than ever. That others names I wanted in
                          > the "Ring" style is Kelly and Jarrod. I've never been good at
                          > languages so any help would be appreciated.

                          :-) It's okay... I've uploaded a file with the names to the Files of
                          this group:

                          ../calwen76/jarrod_kelly_lucia.bmp

                          Check it out there.

                          If you have uploaded the font, you can just cut and paste
                          these "codes" to your Word editor and then change the font to Tengwar
                          Annatar:
                          zj$°`Û
                          s7D2^
                          jUiGhÍD

                          Whatever is easier for you.

                          Well, however, I just want to note that I transcripted Jarrod
                          as "Jarod" since according to Professor's own scripts he used a below
                          tilde (KL I, "Merry") or a double letter (KL I, "Stirring": by error,
                          probably) - or didn't transcript it as double but as single (Errantry
                          Inscription). Unfortunately, all these samples are written in a Mode
                          of Beleriand. We have no evidence of a tehta mode with a word
                          including a double R, so I followed my instincts (that may be wrong,
                          of course) - I simply didn't like the under tilde there. So, as usual
                          with such transcriptions, nothing is certain with the picture.

                          Comments welcome!
                          Lucy
                        • Palatinus
                          Message 12 of 13 , Jul 27, 2006
                            --- Eclipse <a_broken_life@...> έγραψε:

                            > Ok, Ive read the keyboard mapping and the help files
                            > with the fonts,
                            > but I'm more confused than ever. That others names
                            > I wanted in
                            > the "Ring" style is Kelly and Jarrod. I've never
                            > been good at
                            > languages so any help would be appreciated.

                            The 'code' that goes with your names is:

                            s7'R2^ zjR¸`Û

                            just paste it in Word(pad) and select the appropriate
                            'Ring style' font you wanted

                            Χρησιμοποιείτε Yahoo!;
                          • Eclipse
                            Message 13 of 13 , Jul 27, 2006
                              --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, "calwen76" <calwen.rudh@...> wrote:

                              > --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, "Eclipse" <a_broken_life@> wrote:
                              > > Ok, Ive read the keyboard mapping and the help files with the
                              > fonts,
                              > > but I'm more confused than ever. That others names I wanted in
                              > > the "Ring" style is Kelly and Jarrod. I've never been good at
                              > > languages so any help would be appreciated.
                              >
                              > :-) It's okay... I've uploaded a file with the names to the Files
                              of
                              > this group:
                              >
                              > ../calwen76/jarrod_kelly_lucia.bmp
                              >
                              > Check it out there.
                              >
                              > If you have uploaded the font, you can just cut and paste
                              > these "codes" to your Word editor and then change the font to
                              Tengwar
                              > Annatar:
                              > zj$°`Û
                              > s7D2^
                              > jUiGhÍD
                              >
                              > Whatever is easier for you.
                              >
                              > Well, however, I just want to note that I transcripted Jarrod
                              > as "Jarod" since according to Professor's own scripts he used a
                              below
                              > tilde (KL I, "Merry") or a double letter (KL I, "Stirring": by
                              error,
                              > probably) - or didn't transcript it as double but as single
                              (Errantry
                              > Inscription). Unfortunately, all these samples are written in a
                              Mode
                              > of Beleriand. We have no evidence of a tehta mode with a word
                              > including a double R, so I followed my instincts (that may be
                              wrong,
                              > of course) - I simply didn't like the under tilde there. So, as
                              usual
                              > with such transcriptions, nothing is certain with the picture.
                              >
                              > Comments welcome!
                              > Lucy

                              Thanks for the help once again. I'm still reading and rereading
                              everything I find so hopefully I'll be able to figure all of this
                              out on my own. But thanks again to all who responded.