Re: Θέμα: Re: [elfscript] Re: The Elvish word for brother

  • Patrick Wynne
    Message 1 of 24 , Jul 4, 2005
      On Jul 4, 2005, at 2:11 AM, Gildor Inglorion wrote:

      > Btw Peter I am surprised that you use 'the latter the
      > better' logic. Most people of.. uhm.. your alignment,
      > tend to be against this policy, since there is no
      > 'mature Quenya' and 'immature Qenya' like Helge used
      > to say, and the language is ONE entity.

      For starters, the name is Patrick, not Peter! Hmm, then
      again, maybe I should go with the latter: "and on this
      Rock I will build my School of Tolkienian Linguistics..."
      ;-)

      "Later" is not, of course, "better" in Tolkienian linguistics,
      "later" is merely "later" (I personaly find ALL the external
      chronological stages of Tolkien's languages of great
      interest). Yes, Q(u)enya is "one entity" in that Tolkien's
      writings from 1915 until his death show a constantly
      changing and evolving _continuum_ of concepts --
      but this of course does not mean that the later stages
      of that continuum do not exhibit features drastically
      different from the earlier stages. And when somebody
      wishes to compose an inscription in the style of Quenya
      as seen in _The Lord of the Rings_ (as is presumably
      the case with Mr. Varn), they would do well to bypass
      forms pre-dating LotR in favor of forms post-dating it,
      as the latter are more likely to be in stylistic accord with
      the published text. Similarly, somebody desiring to
      compose an inscription in the style of Qenya as seen
      in _The Book of Lost Tales_ would be wise to derive
      their vocabulary from the contemporary Qenya Lexicon
      rather than from the _Etymologies_ or _Quendi and
      Eldar_.

      -- Patrick H. Wynne

    • Melroch 'Aestan
      Message 2 of 24 , Jul 4, 2005
        Patrick Wynne skrev:

        > For starters, the name is Patrick, not Peter! Hmm, then
        > again, maybe I should go with the latter: "and on this
        > Rock I will build my School of Tolkienian Linguistics..."
        > ;-)

        Aldormon or Clifmon swa gifð þé mæst Wynne! ;-)

        --

        /BP 8^)>
        A h-ammen ledin i phith! \ \
        Message 3 of 24 , Jul 4, 2005
          > --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, Gildor Inglorion <elfiness@y...>
          > wrote:
          > > Btw Peter I am surprised that you use 'the latter the
          > > better' logic. Most people of.. uhm.. your alignment,
          > > tend to be against this policy, since there is no
          > > 'mature Quenya' and 'immature Qenya' like Helge used
          > > to say, and the language is ONE entity.
          >
          > Ehm, he's Patrick, not Peter...
          >
          > But, well, according to *my personal meaning about and understanding*
          > the VT47, page 34, note 51, Pengolodh's thoughts, I think that the
          > new names given there for sister and brother are 1) more associated
          > with the play and 2) connected to a blood-relationship of relatives.
          > Thus the words _toron, otorno_ (LR:394, entry TOR-) for 'sworn
          > brother, associate' can be considered as well, being another
          > expressions for 'brother' bearing a slightly different meaning. This
          > is seen in every single living language, isn't it.. But it isn't but
          > my impression of all the stuff around.
          >
          > Lucy

          Yes, yes, I agree, I agree !!!

          ejk
        • finsen@optusnet.com.au
          Message 4 of 24 , Jul 4, 2005
            > > Btw Peter I am surprised that you use 'the latter the
            > > better' logic. Most people of.. uhm.. your alignment,
            > > tend to be against this policy, since there is no
            > > 'mature Quenya' and 'immature Qenya' like Helge used
            > > to say, and the language is ONE entity.
            >
            > For starters, the name is Patrick, not Peter! Hmm, then
            > again, maybe I should go with the latter: "and on this
            > Rock I will build my School of Tolkienian Linguistics..."
            > ;-)

            LOL!
            Message 5 of 24 , Jul 5, 2005
              Gildor Inglorion wrote:

              > Btw [Patrick], I am surprised that you use 'the latter the better' logic.
              Most people of.. uhm.. your alignment, tend to be against this policy,
              since there is no 'mature Quenya' and 'immature Qenya' like Helge used to
              say, and the language is ONE entity.

              I don't think I spoke of "immature Quenya" very often (if at all). These
              days I tend to simply call the early variants "pre-classical", and the
              later variants are better termed "LotR-compatible" than "mature". (Actually
              some late ideas are not even LotR-compatible; nor are the late variants
              always compatible with one another, even if they are LotR-compatible.)

              As for _toron_ vs. _hαno, hanno_, I regard them simply as synonym words for
              "brother", but other things being equal, I would normally go for the latter
              (and later) forms.

              My suggestion would be _Hαnor/hannor tennoio_ in Quenya, with _Torni
              tennoio_ as an alternative if you are really fond of alliteration. In
              Sindarin, _Henair uirib_ could express "eternal brothers".

              - HKF
            • laurifindil
              Message 6 of 24 , Jul 5, 2005
                <helge.fauskanger@n...> wrote:

                <snip>

                > In
                > Sindarin, _Henair uirib_ could express "eternal brothers".

                No, no.
                Not in Sindarin...
                In Helgian Mish-Mash Neo-Sindarin please.

                ejk
                Message 7 of 24 , Jul 11, 2005
                  I wrote:
                  > In Sindarin, _Henair uirib_ could express "eternal brothers".

                  "Laurifindil" (hello, Ed!) predictably responded:

                  > No, no. Not in Sindarin... In Helgian Mish-Mash Neo-Sindarin please.

                  I wonder why I even bother to reply, and I've been in no haste to do so,
                  but here goes:

                  Ed, if you have any good reason to assume that the plural forms of _hanar_
                  "brother" (VT47:14) and _uireb_ "eternal" are NOT formed according to the
                  normal patterns, we are all listening. If you will argue that the pl. of
                  _hanar_ is not *_henair_ (cf. for instance _aran_ "king", pl. _erain_), I
                  think the burden of evidence rests on you. You would have to presuppose
                  some irregular form, which must be far more speculative than simply
                  applying the rule derived from seemingly analogous examples.

                  As for syntax, the "noun + adjective" pattern is so well attested that
                  it's almost embarrassing to even cite an example, but consider for instance
                  _i mbair annui_ "the lands western" in the King's Letter. If you want to
                  make a big issue of the fact that the adjective _uireb_ (pl. *_uirib_)
                  "eternal" is strictly speaking only attested in Noldorin as opposed to
                  Sindarin proper, be my guest. But since the elements involved (derivatives
                  of the root OY and the adjectival ending -eb) do appear in Sindarin proper
                  as well, I think many observers would feel that this is a flimsy pretext
                  for dismissing what I wrote as "Helgian Mish-Mash".

                  I must say, Ed, that sometimes it would serve your general credibility
                  better if you took the time to actually explain what you think is wrong (or
                  at least overly speculative) about the translations offered. If you feel
                  that direct Tolkienian authorship is the sole factor that can ever save any
                  combination of Eldarin words from the status of "mish-mash", you are of
                  course entitled to your opinion. But then we can never write out even the
                  simplest phrase (of which _Henair uirib_ would be an example) if we thereby
                  dare to imply that the result is, indeed, acceptable Eldarin. I do find it
                  reasonable to assume that when a certain pattern of syntax is repeatedly
                  observed in our material, it will actually work with other vocabulary items
                  as well. This principle is after all the very foundation of any form of
                  language properly so called, natural or invented.

                  I strongly suspect that if I were to suggest that "the hill" translates
                  into Sindarin as _i amon_, you would immediately dismiss this as
                  "mish-mash" as well. For after all, the article followed by this exact noun
                  is not directly attested in any published Tolkien manuscript...

                  Do feel free to surprise me with a well-argued, non-aggressive reply, Ed.

                  On the constructive and on-topic side: the guy who asked the original
                  question may want to know that the following code will form the words
                  _Henair uirib_ in any of the standard Tengwar fonts. This is written in the
                  mode of Beleriand:

                  9l6]Õ7 .Õ7`w

                  - Helge Fauskanger
                  Message 8 of 24 , Jul 11, 2005
                    > offered. If you feel
                    > that direct Tolkienian authorship is the sole factor
                    > that can ever save any
                    > combination of Eldarin words from the status of
                    > "mish-mash", you are of
                    > course entitled to your opinion. But then we can

                    I think Ed's position is more abstract, without having
                    always some particular counter-reason to object.
                    According to this, anything not attested is bound to
                    be neo-Sindarin mish-mash without having an
                    alternative for everything

                    Think about this: some years ago, we had the
                    neo-Sindarin word for name 'ess', based on Q esse. I
                    don't remember Ed writing anything in particular
                    against it, but he could, even without knowing the
                    word eneth yet. What then? we could ask him if he has
                    any alternatives, of course he wouldn't have, and we
                    could remind to him how many S words are like their Q
                    counterparts lacking the final vowel (of course,
                    provided that the rest of phonology fits), the word
                    'estathar' that points to a root ES (and not, say,
                    **GES, causing it to be **gess), present cases where
                    'ss' has been retained in both languages and hasn't
                    been simplified in S as one 's'. Everything pointed to
                    'ess', and Ed could not argue against it, apart from
                    reminding that this is neo-Sindarin, but guess what,
                    this failed.

                    I can also remember the rule to which we hold since
                    years, that adjectives are lenited, but Thornsten had
                    just to simply point out all the attested cases, and
                    they weren't more than the exceptions (eg. Ered
                    Mithrin), posing then the question how could we
                    establish such a rule.

                    Χρησιμοποιείτε Yahoo!;
                  • laurifindil
                    Message 9 of 24 , Jul 12, 2005
                      <helge.fauskanger@n...> wrote:
                      > I wrote:
                      > > In Sindarin, _Henair uirib_ could express "eternal brothers".
                      >
                      > "Laurifindil" (hello, Ed!) predictably responded:
                      >
                      > > No, no. Not in Sindarin... In Helgian Mish-Mash Neo-Sindarin
                      please.

                      > I wonder why I even bother to reply, and I've been in no haste to
                      do so,
                      > but here goes:

                      <snip stuff>

                      I know why... but I won't tell. It is not very proper.
                      *LOL*

                      Poor Helge...

                      ejk
                    • laurifindil
                      Message 10 of 24 , Jul 12, 2005
                        > > offered. If you feel
                        > > that direct Tolkienian authorship is the sole factor
                        > > that can ever save any
                        > > combination of Eldarin words from the status of
                        > > "mish-mash", you are of
                        > > course entitled to your opinion. But then we can
                        >
                        > I think Ed's position is more abstract

                        You can "think", that is news to me. Really ? :)

                        Mister Gildor when you "think", you think _wrong_!

                        All of yours is just a "patheic game".

                        Who cares? I don't.

                        LOL

                        ejk
                        Message 11 of 24 , Jul 12, 2005
                          > You can "think", that is news to me. Really ? :)
                          >
                          > Mister Gildor when you "think", you think _wrong_!

                          I also think that you didn't read my post.

                          Χρησιμοποιείτε Yahoo!;
                        • Carl F. Hostetter
                          Message 12 of 24 , Jul 12, 2005
                            "Gildor" is right, Edouard. If you read what he actually wrote, you
                            will see that he was defending your position against Helge's
                            simplistic dismissal of it.

                            (What IS it about the Internet that makes people fire off a reply
                            before they've even understood what they are replying to?)

                            Message 13 of 24 , Jul 13, 2005
                              I wrote:

                              > Do feel free to surprise me with a well-argued, non-aggressive reply, Ed.

                              Of course, there were no surprises whatsoever in Ed's actual reply...better
                              kill off this thread before people get bored. I already am.

                              - HKF