Re: [elfscript] Re: The Elvish word for brother

  • Hansel Varn
    Message 1 of 24 , Jul 3, 2005
      Wow, thanks for all the help folks this is a good
      start, and I have begun my research. Let me explain
      to those that think this is some whim of fadish
      expression. My friend and I are from completely
      opposite worlds practically, both racially,
      educationally, age, life experience etc. Yet we are
      as close as people can be. He is the Godfather to my
      two children and more importantly we both love LOTR,
      both film and books. I haven't read the books since I
      was 12(I m now 33) and since the films have rekindled
      my foundness I have started doing more reading into
      the works. I don't want anyone to think I'm some lazy
      fair weather fan that just didn't want to do the work.
      Believe me I'm reading a lot. I have recently been
      promoted to manager and lately haven't had much time
      on my hands hence the request. Hope this helps those
      who may wonder why? Thanks again for everyone's help,
      comments and even criticizms.
      --- Patrick Wynne <pwynne@...> wrote:

      > On Jul 3, 2005, at 11:28 AM, Mel wrote:
      >
      > > He *did* find some words - he sent them through.
      > He wrote in asking
      > > for help. I didn't see anyone offer help, though.
      > Just criticism.
      >
      > You "didn't see anyone offer help"? Wow, did you
      > even read my
      > message? In your haste to snark at me you apparently
      > overlooked
      > the fact that I provided Hansel with a proposed
      > translation of the
      > phrase he's interested in -- which nobody else has
      > done thus far,
      > and that includes YOU, Mel. I'd say that providing
      > Hansel with what
      > he asked for qualifies as "offering help", not "just
      > criticism". Jeez.
      >
      > Yes, I know that Hansel did find some words. I read
      > his post, remember?
      > But the forms he cited were all from the
      > _Etymologies_ (c. 1937) and
      > predate _The Lord of the Rings_. The forms I cited
      > are much later (c.
      > 1968)
      > and very probably replaced the forms derived from
      > the base TOR-
      > 'brother'
      > in the _Etymologies_. Silly me, I thought that maybe
      > Mr. Varn might be
      > interested in having his tattoo inscription be as
      > accurate as possible.
      >
      > -- Patrick H. Wynne

      > removed]

      Yahoo! Sports
      http://football.fantasysports.yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 24 , Jul 4, 2005
        That's sweet.

        Btw Peter I am surprised that you use 'the latter the
        better' logic. Most people of.. uhm.. your alignment,
        tend to be against this policy, since there is no
        'mature Quenya' and 'immature Qenya' like Helge used
        to say, and the language is ONE entity.

        > Wow, thanks for all the help folks this is a good
        > start, and I have begun my research. Let me explain
        > to those that think this is some whim of fadish
        > expression. My friend and I are from completely
        > opposite worlds practically, both racially,
        > educationally, age, life experience etc. Yet we are
        > as close as people can be. He is the Godfather to
        > my
        > two children and more importantly we both love LOTR,
        > both film and books. I haven't read the books since
        > was 12(I m now 33) and since the films have
        > rekindled
        > my foundness I have started doing more reading into
        > the works. I don't want anyone to think I'm some
        > lazy
        > fair weather fan that just didn't want to do the
        > work.
        > Believe me I'm reading a lot. I have recently been
        > promoted to manager and lately haven't had much time
        > on my hands hence the request. Hope this helps
        > those
        > who may wonder why? Thanks again for everyone's
        > help,
        > comments and even criticizms.

        Χρησιμοποιείτε Yahoo!;
        Message 3 of 24 , Jul 4, 2005
          > Btw Peter I am surprised that you use 'the latter the
          > better' logic. Most people of.. uhm.. your alignment,
          > tend to be against this policy, since there is no
          > 'mature Quenya' and 'immature Qenya' like Helge used
          > to say, and the language is ONE entity.

          Ehm, he's Patrick, not Peter...

          But, well, according to *my personal meaning about and understanding*
          the VT47, page 34, note 51, Pengolodh's thoughts, I think that the
          new names given there for sister and brother are 1) more associated
          with the play and 2) connected to a blood-relationship of relatives.
          Thus the words _toron, otorno_ (LR:394, entry TOR-) for 'sworn
          brother, associate' can be considered as well, being another
          expressions for 'brother' bearing a slightly different meaning. This
          is seen in every single living language, isn't it.. But it isn't but
          my impression of all the stuff around.

          Lucy
        • Patrick Wynne
          Message 4 of 24 , Jul 4, 2005
            On Jul 4, 2005, at 2:11 AM, Gildor Inglorion wrote:

            > Btw Peter I am surprised that you use 'the latter the
            > better' logic. Most people of.. uhm.. your alignment,
            > tend to be against this policy, since there is no
            > 'mature Quenya' and 'immature Qenya' like Helge used
            > to say, and the language is ONE entity.

            For starters, the name is Patrick, not Peter! Hmm, then
            again, maybe I should go with the latter: "and on this
            Rock I will build my School of Tolkienian Linguistics..."
            ;-)

            "Later" is not, of course, "better" in Tolkienian linguistics,
            "later" is merely "later" (I personaly find ALL the external
            chronological stages of Tolkien's languages of great
            interest). Yes, Q(u)enya is "one entity" in that Tolkien's
            writings from 1915 until his death show a constantly
            changing and evolving _continuum_ of concepts --
            but this of course does not mean that the later stages
            of that continuum do not exhibit features drastically
            different from the earlier stages. And when somebody
            wishes to compose an inscription in the style of Quenya
            as seen in _The Lord of the Rings_ (as is presumably
            the case with Mr. Varn), they would do well to bypass
            forms pre-dating LotR in favor of forms post-dating it,
            as the latter are more likely to be in stylistic accord with
            the published text. Similarly, somebody desiring to
            compose an inscription in the style of Qenya as seen
            in _The Book of Lost Tales_ would be wise to derive
            their vocabulary from the contemporary Qenya Lexicon
            rather than from the _Etymologies_ or _Quendi and
            Eldar_.

            -- Patrick H. Wynne

          • Melroch 'Aestan
            Message 5 of 24 , Jul 4, 2005
              Patrick Wynne skrev:

              > For starters, the name is Patrick, not Peter! Hmm, then
              > again, maybe I should go with the latter: "and on this
              > Rock I will build my School of Tolkienian Linguistics..."
              > ;-)

              Aldormon or Clifmon swa gifð þé mæst Wynne! ;-)

              --

              /BP 8^)>
              A h-ammen ledin i phith! \ \
              Message 6 of 24 , Jul 4, 2005
                > --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, Gildor Inglorion <elfiness@y...>
                > wrote:
                > > Btw Peter I am surprised that you use 'the latter the
                > > better' logic. Most people of.. uhm.. your alignment,
                > > tend to be against this policy, since there is no
                > > 'mature Quenya' and 'immature Qenya' like Helge used
                > > to say, and the language is ONE entity.
                >
                > Ehm, he's Patrick, not Peter...
                >
                > But, well, according to *my personal meaning about and understanding*
                > the VT47, page 34, note 51, Pengolodh's thoughts, I think that the
                > new names given there for sister and brother are 1) more associated
                > with the play and 2) connected to a blood-relationship of relatives.
                > Thus the words _toron, otorno_ (LR:394, entry TOR-) for 'sworn
                > brother, associate' can be considered as well, being another
                > expressions for 'brother' bearing a slightly different meaning. This
                > is seen in every single living language, isn't it.. But it isn't but
                > my impression of all the stuff around.
                >
                > Lucy

                Yes, yes, I agree, I agree !!!

                ejk
              • finsen@optusnet.com.au
                Message 7 of 24 , Jul 4, 2005
                  > > Btw Peter I am surprised that you use 'the latter the
                  > > better' logic. Most people of.. uhm.. your alignment,
                  > > tend to be against this policy, since there is no
                  > > 'mature Quenya' and 'immature Qenya' like Helge used
                  > > to say, and the language is ONE entity.
                  >
                  > For starters, the name is Patrick, not Peter! Hmm, then
                  > again, maybe I should go with the latter: "and on this
                  > Rock I will build my School of Tolkienian Linguistics..."
                  > ;-)

                  LOL!
                  Message 8 of 24 , Jul 5, 2005
                    Gildor Inglorion wrote:

                    > Btw [Patrick], I am surprised that you use 'the latter the better' logic.
                    Most people of.. uhm.. your alignment, tend to be against this policy,
                    since there is no 'mature Quenya' and 'immature Qenya' like Helge used to
                    say, and the language is ONE entity.

                    I don't think I spoke of "immature Quenya" very often (if at all). These
                    days I tend to simply call the early variants "pre-classical", and the
                    later variants are better termed "LotR-compatible" than "mature". (Actually
                    some late ideas are not even LotR-compatible; nor are the late variants
                    always compatible with one another, even if they are LotR-compatible.)

                    As for _toron_ vs. _hαno, hanno_, I regard them simply as synonym words for
                    "brother", but other things being equal, I would normally go for the latter
                    (and later) forms.

                    My suggestion would be _Hαnor/hannor tennoio_ in Quenya, with _Torni
                    tennoio_ as an alternative if you are really fond of alliteration. In
                    Sindarin, _Henair uirib_ could express "eternal brothers".

                    - HKF
                  • laurifindil
                    Message 9 of 24 , Jul 5, 2005
                      <helge.fauskanger@n...> wrote:

                      <snip>

                      > In
                      > Sindarin, _Henair uirib_ could express "eternal brothers".

                      No, no.
                      Not in Sindarin...
                      In Helgian Mish-Mash Neo-Sindarin please.

                      ejk
                      Message 10 of 24 , Jul 11, 2005
                        I wrote:
                        > In Sindarin, _Henair uirib_ could express "eternal brothers".

                        "Laurifindil" (hello, Ed!) predictably responded:

                        > No, no. Not in Sindarin... In Helgian Mish-Mash Neo-Sindarin please.

                        I wonder why I even bother to reply, and I've been in no haste to do so,
                        but here goes:

                        Ed, if you have any good reason to assume that the plural forms of _hanar_
                        "brother" (VT47:14) and _uireb_ "eternal" are NOT formed according to the
                        normal patterns, we are all listening. If you will argue that the pl. of
                        _hanar_ is not *_henair_ (cf. for instance _aran_ "king", pl. _erain_), I
                        think the burden of evidence rests on you. You would have to presuppose
                        some irregular form, which must be far more speculative than simply
                        applying the rule derived from seemingly analogous examples.

                        As for syntax, the "noun + adjective" pattern is so well attested that
                        it's almost embarrassing to even cite an example, but consider for instance
                        _i mbair annui_ "the lands western" in the King's Letter. If you want to
                        make a big issue of the fact that the adjective _uireb_ (pl. *_uirib_)
                        "eternal" is strictly speaking only attested in Noldorin as opposed to
                        Sindarin proper, be my guest. But since the elements involved (derivatives
                        of the root OY and the adjectival ending -eb) do appear in Sindarin proper
                        as well, I think many observers would feel that this is a flimsy pretext
                        for dismissing what I wrote as "Helgian Mish-Mash".

                        I must say, Ed, that sometimes it would serve your general credibility
                        better if you took the time to actually explain what you think is wrong (or
                        at least overly speculative) about the translations offered. If you feel
                        that direct Tolkienian authorship is the sole factor that can ever save any
                        combination of Eldarin words from the status of "mish-mash", you are of
                        course entitled to your opinion. But then we can never write out even the
                        simplest phrase (of which _Henair uirib_ would be an example) if we thereby
                        dare to imply that the result is, indeed, acceptable Eldarin. I do find it
                        reasonable to assume that when a certain pattern of syntax is repeatedly
                        observed in our material, it will actually work with other vocabulary items
                        as well. This principle is after all the very foundation of any form of
                        language properly so called, natural or invented.

                        I strongly suspect that if I were to suggest that "the hill" translates
                        into Sindarin as _i amon_, you would immediately dismiss this as
                        "mish-mash" as well. For after all, the article followed by this exact noun
                        is not directly attested in any published Tolkien manuscript...

                        Do feel free to surprise me with a well-argued, non-aggressive reply, Ed.

                        On the constructive and on-topic side: the guy who asked the original
                        question may want to know that the following code will form the words
                        _Henair uirib_ in any of the standard Tengwar fonts. This is written in the
                        mode of Beleriand:

                        9l6]Õ7 .Õ7`w

                        - Helge Fauskanger
                        Message 11 of 24 , Jul 11, 2005
                          > offered. If you feel
                          > that direct Tolkienian authorship is the sole factor
                          > that can ever save any
                          > combination of Eldarin words from the status of
                          > "mish-mash", you are of
                          > course entitled to your opinion. But then we can

                          I think Ed's position is more abstract, without having
                          always some particular counter-reason to object.
                          According to this, anything not attested is bound to
                          be neo-Sindarin mish-mash without having an
                          alternative for everything

                          Think about this: some years ago, we had the
                          neo-Sindarin word for name 'ess', based on Q esse. I
                          don't remember Ed writing anything in particular
                          against it, but he could, even without knowing the
                          word eneth yet. What then? we could ask him if he has
                          any alternatives, of course he wouldn't have, and we
                          could remind to him how many S words are like their Q
                          counterparts lacking the final vowel (of course,
                          provided that the rest of phonology fits), the word
                          'estathar' that points to a root ES (and not, say,
                          **GES, causing it to be **gess), present cases where
                          'ss' has been retained in both languages and hasn't
                          been simplified in S as one 's'. Everything pointed to
                          'ess', and Ed could not argue against it, apart from
                          reminding that this is neo-Sindarin, but guess what,
                          this failed.

                          I can also remember the rule to which we hold since
                          years, that adjectives are lenited, but Thornsten had
                          just to simply point out all the attested cases, and
                          they weren't more than the exceptions (eg. Ered
                          Mithrin), posing then the question how could we
                          establish such a rule.

                          Χρησιμοποιείτε Yahoo!;
                        • laurifindil
                          Message 12 of 24 , Jul 12, 2005
                            <helge.fauskanger@n...> wrote:
                            > I wrote:
                            > > In Sindarin, _Henair uirib_ could express "eternal brothers".
                            >
                            > "Laurifindil" (hello, Ed!) predictably responded:
                            >
                            > > No, no. Not in Sindarin... In Helgian Mish-Mash Neo-Sindarin
                            please.

                            > I wonder why I even bother to reply, and I've been in no haste to
                            do so,
                            > but here goes:

                            <snip stuff>

                            I know why... but I won't tell. It is not very proper.
                            *LOL*

                            Poor Helge...

                            ejk
                          • laurifindil
                            Message 13 of 24 , Jul 12, 2005
                              > > offered. If you feel
                              > > that direct Tolkienian authorship is the sole factor
                              > > that can ever save any
                              > > combination of Eldarin words from the status of
                              > > "mish-mash", you are of
                              > > course entitled to your opinion. But then we can
                              >
                              > I think Ed's position is more abstract

                              You can "think", that is news to me. Really ? :)

                              Mister Gildor when you "think", you think _wrong_!

                              All of yours is just a "patheic game".

                              Who cares? I don't.

                              LOL

                              ejk
                              Message 14 of 24 , Jul 12, 2005
                                > You can "think", that is news to me. Really ? :)
                                >
                                > Mister Gildor when you "think", you think _wrong_!

                                I also think that you didn't read my post.

                                Χρησιμοποιείτε Yahoo!;
                              • Carl F. Hostetter
                                Message 15 of 24 , Jul 12, 2005
                                  "Gildor" is right, Edouard. If you read what he actually wrote, you
                                  will see that he was defending your position against Helge's
                                  simplistic dismissal of it.

                                  (What IS it about the Internet that makes people fire off a reply
                                  before they've even understood what they are replying to?)

                                  Message 16 of 24 , Jul 13, 2005
                                    I wrote:

                                    > Do feel free to surprise me with a well-argued, non-aggressive reply, Ed.

                                    Of course, there were no surprises whatsoever in Ed's actual reply...better
                                    kill off this thread before people get bored. I already am.

                                    - HKF