Re: [elfscript] New Member

  • Angasule
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 13, 2000
      Well, I'm not a new member, I've been here for several months (although
      with a few breaks when I didn't have the time), but I've never said
      much. The main thread on this list has been the Unicode proposal, and I
      understand little of that, so I didn't say a thing. My main interest are
      the tengwar, specially the Quenya mode, and lately a few bits of the
      sarati (a friend wanted to know the sarat for spanish ñ, we tried to
      reconstruct it by analogy).
      By the way, Giacomo, you are from the italian speaking part of
      Switzerland, I guess? And Mariana, you're from a spanish speaking
      country? I'm from Argentina myself :)
      Giacomo, you say you're learning Quenya, are you in the Quenya and
      Elfling lists? Quenya is a list where messages are written in Quenya
      (with explanations in English), while Elfling is the main email list
      dedicated to the study of Tolkien's languages. To suscribe to them send
      a blank email to quenya-subscribe@egroups.com or
      elfling-subscribe@egroups.com
      Mariana, if you are from a spanish speaking country I recommend you
      join Lambenor, a list very much like Elfling but in Spanish and with a
      more familiar feel (many of its members know each other in person, being
      part of the spanish Tolkien society). To subscribe send a blank email to
      lambenor-subscribe@egroups.com . If by any chance you're from Argentina,
      please contact me directly, I'm the secretary of the language
      subcomision of the argentinian Tolkien asociation (long title,
      considering there are about five active people on languages in
      Argentina!). My email is angasule@... .
      Angasule
    • mariana nascimbem blaser
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 14, 2000
        Actually I'm not from Argentina, but from Brazil. I'm sorry to disappoint
        you Angasule, butr after all we are neighbors. that'something, wright?

        I just read Tolkien's biography, and only now I understood the complexity of
        his work. I know almost nothing about his writings, and probably I'll only
        learn in this discussion group. That's why I'm readind The Hobbit again -
        and in sequence I'll read The Lord of the Rings - just to remember the
        story, because I read it a few years ago and didn't have any contact with it
        again.

        So forgive me if I can't bring any contribution (yet) to all of you, and I
        may say already that I'm sorry for all the questions I'll certainly make, as
        well as my huge english mistakes (I haven't practiced for a wile).

        Mariana

        >From: Angasule <angasule@...>
        >To: elfscript@egroups.com
        >Subject: Re: [elfscript] New Member
        >Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2000 12:58:50 -0300
        >
        > Well, I'm not a new member, I've been here for several months (although
        >with a few breaks when I didn't have the time), but I've never said
        >much. The main thread on this list has been the Unicode proposal, and I
        >understand little of that, so I didn't say a thing. My main interest are
        >the tengwar, specially the Quenya mode, and lately a few bits of the
        >sarati (a friend wanted to know the sarat for spanish �, we tried to
        >reconstruct it by analogy).
        > By the way, Giacomo, you are from the italian speaking part of
        >Switzerland, I guess? And Mariana, you're from a spanish speaking
        >country? I'm from Argentina myself :)
        > Giacomo, you say you're learning Quenya, are you in the Quenya and
        >Elfling lists? Quenya is a list where messages are written in Quenya
        >(with explanations in English), while Elfling is the main email list
        >dedicated to the study of Tolkien's languages. To suscribe to them send
        >a blank email to quenya-subscribe@egroups.com or
        >elfling-subscribe@egroups.com
        > Mariana, if you are from a spanish speaking country I recommend you
        >join Lambenor, a list very much like Elfling but in Spanish and with a
        >more familiar feel (many of its members know each other in person, being
        >part of the spanish Tolkien society). To subscribe send a blank email to
        >lambenor-subscribe@egroups.com . If by any chance you're from Argentina,
        >please contact me directly, I'm the secretary of the language
        >subcomision of the argentinian Tolkien asociation (long title,
        >considering there are about five active people on languages in
        >Argentina!). My email is angasule@... .
        > Angasule

        http://profiles.msn.com
      • Angasule
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 14, 2000
          mariana nascimbem blaser wrote:

          > Actually I'm not from Argentina, but from Brazil. I'm sorry to disappoint
          > you Angasule, butr after all we are neighbors. that'something, wright?
          Yes, it is! Unfortunately I don't know of any other Tolkien reader in
          Brazil, since I don't have much contact with brazilians (I don't speak
          portuguese at all).

          > I just read Tolkien's biography, and only now I understood the complexity of
          > his work. I know almost nothing about his writings, and probably I'll only
          > learn in this discussion group. That's why I'm readind The Hobbit again -
          > and in sequence I'll read The Lord of the Rings - just to remember the
          > story, because I read it a few years ago and didn't have any contact with it
          > again.
          I'd recommend you read the Silmarillion afterwards, too, since that's
          where the languages develop, by the Lord of the Rings elvish languages
          are quite stable (I'm talking inside Middle Earth, not in Tolkien's
          head!). The Hobbit itself has little language relevance, but it's a
          great story (I still grab it from time to time and read a few pages)

          > So forgive me if I can't bring any contribution (yet) to all of you, and I
          > may say already that I'm sorry for all the questions I'll certainly make, as
          > well as my huge english mistakes (I haven't practiced for a wile).
          Don't worry about your English, no one will critize it here! And asking
          questions is the best way to learn, so feel free to ask anytime :)
          Angasule